EF English First Reviews

Updated 3 Aug 2020

3.3
EF English First President 	Jacob Toren (no image)
Jacob Toren
  1. "Residence Assistant"

Former Employee - Resident Assistant

I worked at EF English First part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good and friendly teams Very busy

Cons

Long hours During the end of summer, there is not much to do.

"working as a tour leader"

1.0

I worked at EF English First

Pros

can't think of anything

Cons

-worst salary ever in the industry, even though you expect tips (35£ a day) - selection process long and painful, "American" style, doesn´t matter whether you are new or have 10 years experience; I would say best if you have no experience

"low salary"

2.0

I worked at EF English First

Pros

Stable work in a trusted company

Cons

Low pay compared to other English schools. Very high turnover of staff due to poor treatment

4. "Teacher"

5.0
    Current Employee - Teacher in London, England

I have been working at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good training programme, good opportunities to progress

Cons

Teaching material is already prepared by EF so not as much flexibility in using teacher's own materials

"Ok for first time teachers. Much better options available if not."

2.0
    Former Employee - Foreign Teacher

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Legit visa Paid on time Good stepping stone into ESL, they will support you with training initially.

Cons

Poor management - Will take advantage of you at every opportunity. Summer course has you working a lot of extra hours with laughable compensation. High turnover, you will probably see a completely new office within a year.

EF English First Response

December 26, 2017Vice President

Thank you for your review. If you would like to offer more feedback on how we can improve the overall teaching experience for our teachers, please send an email to teacher.feedback@ef.com.

6. "a fantastic place to work"

5.0

I worked at EF English First part-time

Pros

very friendly work environment, open and communicative, very high sense of happiness in this company. Colleagues are very helpful and supportive.

Cons

sometimes long hour works, can be stressful. Some parents are hard to deal with. should have more native English speakers as tutor.

Continue reading

"Foreign Language Teacher (English) - Beijing, China"

1.0

I have been working at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Quick interview. Well guided and informed process from initial interview through to formal job offer and visa processing. Professional first-point of contact and good advice and follow up guides which are useful. Professionally put together website, job offer, contract etc.

Cons

Absolutely abysmal pay. I was contracted to work for them for a year at 13,000 rmb per month which equates to about £16,000 per annum as of December 2016. This is - quite frankly - ridiculous and given the fact that I hold a First Class Honours degree somewhat insulting. And, what makes it worse, is that was my gross pay! Ignoring the 20% tax bracket which would have reduced what was already a small sum even further. Indeed, so long as you graduate with a 2:1 Bachelor of Arts you can easily get paid a base of at least £20,000 which is especially important given I was to be located in Beijing where the cost of living is significantly more. My base is currently £24,000 a year (net) with room for additional KPIs to bring it to approximately £30,000 which I feel is much fairer and recognises me as an individual and not simply a "cheap" employee who they can abuse for long work hours under the pretext of having, "an amazing experience which will change your life". I seriously recommend looking at over companies and doing a little bit of investigation. You will be shocked - as I was - at the difference. Indeed, I even work less hours than I would have at English First. Moreover, the benefits are often similar (flight back, TEFL covered, Visa help etc.) and can often be better if you look at the right companies or negotiate a little. As an aside, their "TEFL worth £500" is a joke which could have been written by a 12 year old. It's full of lazy mistakes (including spelling errors!) and little attention to detail is evident throughout the course. The assignments are pointless and the course doesn't prepare you in the slightest to teach; although in fairness not many online TEFLs' do. Indeed, I don't believe it is even accredited by anyone other than themselves so they can price it however they want and it is likely to be useless once you leave.

EF English First Response

January 5, 2017Vice President

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with our current employment package at EF. As you have stated, we are a professional company and our hiring process and contract aims to be as clear as possible. Before anyone accepts the offer to join us in China, the salary package and the tax breakdown is available well in advance of arrival. This package is based on an entry level teaching position and is a competitive local salary. As well as offering a competitive local salary, we do offer further training opportunities and qualifications that you are able to take advantage of, should you choose to. As well as the Foundation TEFL, these courses offer a more in-depth study of language teaching as well as practical methodologies. Many of our sponsored training courses are internationally recognised and will open up further career opportunities in the language teaching industry. If you would like to offer more feedback on how we can improve the overall teaching experience for our teachers, please send an email to teacher.feedback@ef.com

"Ther"

Former Employee - Foreign English Teacher

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's a real career here if you want it, plenty of opportunities for promotion within the EF network. Training workshops. Support network

Cons

The half hour catch up classes for students of other teachers who missed their previous class (you can't do anything in half an hour) Money at times seems to be the most important thing to the company.

"Flexible online work"

English Teacher in Perth, Scotland

I worked at EF English First

Pros

Flexible - create your own schedule from week to week. Open 24hrs a day so suits those in any time zone. Easy - all group class materials are pre-prepared and are very straightforward and easy to use. Fun - Lovely students and short classes make for a fun atmosphere. I worked various hours as a contract teacher over several years and overall the job was enjoyable, extremely convenient and suited my needs. I taught mainly private classes and spent my own time preparing class material which was not a problem for me as I was at home and could do it when convenient. I enjoyed it and the students really were super.

Cons

Pay - EF employs teachers of all levels of ability so the low pay (£6-£7) is good for some but very poor for those of us demanding £20 an hr elsewhere. Management - I was left to my own devices most of the time but I saw decent teachers treated very badly, threatened, accused of being unprofessional and underpaid every month! IT - Constant problems with sound and connection. Considering it is an online school this should be faultless. Customer service - I got many complaints from students about cost and how they were not given the service they paid for, that is unacceptable for any school. You MUST treat your students kindly and with respect. I felt very bad for some of them. Overwork - more and more work is being demanded for the same pay which was starting to get out of hand just before I left. I felt the respect for teachers was even lower than that for students sadly.

Continue reading

"Good company to work for"

I worked at EF English First part-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers, great students from a range of different nationalities, good location in central London, flexible and supportive management team

Cons

The pay is not great, but is not terrible for an EFL teacher in London, the whiteboards could be a bit bigger in the classroom, sometimes some resources - CDs...etc were missing

Found 457 reviews