ELEXON Reviews

3.6
ELEXON Chief Executive Officer Mark Bygraves
Mark Bygraves
  1. Featured Review

"nice variety of challenges"

Current Employee - Market Architect in London, England

I have been working at ELEXON full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work consists of varied projects - everyone of them is different. Very people focused.

Cons

Not really hands-on, if you like that kind of thing.

March 30, 2020Head of HR

We appreciate you taking the time to add a review on Glassdoor. I love your positive comments and agree with your assessment of how our work determines the type of company we are and the variety of work we can offer potential employees. Once again, thank you for your time.

2. "Great company with great benefits"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in London, England

I worked at ELEXON full-time for more than a year

Pros

upskilling, flexible, fair pay, friendly personnel

Cons

hard to progress outside of job change

March 30, 2020Head of HR

We appreciate you taking the time to add a review on Glassdoor. I would say that a great strength here is our company culture which places our staff at the forefront of how we approach work opportunities. Our annual employee survey helps us keep grounded and in touch with our staff. We are always striving to improve the opportunities for our staff and see this as part of the culture we support here at ELEXON. Once again, thank you for your review

"Professional insincerity spoilt everything else."

Former Employee - EMR in London, England

I worked at ELEXON full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice office. Some nice people. Coffee. Management leave you alone a lot of the time.

Cons

Biggest prob: Aside from writing stuff on walls, I never knew what the company stood for. The work is pretty meaningless and uninspiring. Lots of professional insincerity. Too much backstabbing which is camouflaged and goes undetected. I kept my head down for three yrs but a week after building up the courage to leave, I knew I'd made the right decision for me and wish I'd been braver sooner. People with any flair or charisma don't thrive at Elexon. Not everything is negative but a lot is fairly stiffling.

March 18, 2020Head of HR

Thank you for your feedback about Elexon and in particular the EMR service. Your description of EMR /ELEXON is not the type of organisation that we want to create, and your comments worry me. I would very much like to understand more about your experiences here. Would you be interested in corresponding directly with me or with someone else within the organisation who you might have retained contact with? You could even use our external exit interview provider, who would maintain your anonymity when providing us with your feedback. I have included the Career Practise email enquiries@thecareerpractice.co.uk, just in case you want to contact them. I will let them know that someone might contact them relating to this Glassdoor posting and for them to offer any support that they can.

"Complacent and clique-y. Needs a shake-up."

1.0
    Former Employee - ProServe in London, England

I worked at ELEXON full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free fruit. Central London location - must be super expensive to hire but great for office commute from Essex/Kent. Huge ‘investment’ in Christmas events - overkill tbh, but quite a perk and no work happens in December.

Cons

Silo departments, constantly point-scoring and ghetto-ising workforce. Bad habits stem from head managers. Rumour mongers and unprofessionally referencing each other. Culture of cliques, gossips, in/out manipulators, (‘Scottish mafia’). Notorious throughout the organisation for having meetings about meetings about meetings. Not enough external industry experience in workforce so bad practices have been adopted and become ingrained, causing some departments to grow way beyond their need where improved skill-set would keep headcount at manageable levels and improve efficiency. People get comfortable, keep their heads down and stay too long just for the pension payments. New ideas get stymied. Bureaucrats win. Bright new thinkers leave. Complete lack of mentorship - they struggle to get volunteers because everyone is too busy covering themselves either in glory or excuses/alibis in case of criticism. Anyone good leaves because of the mistrustful environment. Bright ideas people are quashed by negativity and lack of gumption/support from managers. Toxic environment where constructive criticism of processes are treated as a personal insult to the office holder causing playground responses.

January 31, 2020Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your work experience and observations of ELEXON. You raised concerns that will, of course, be a worry to us especially as you have felt that working here was not an ideal experience for you, which we are disappointed to hear. It is tricky to cover everything you have mentioned so I am hoping that my response will address the overall issues you have raised. Our annual staff survey which is published on our website (https://www.elexon.co.uk/about/about-elexon/working-at-elexon/) did highlight some issues on the way we work, leadership and culture which is a concern for our senior managers. We hope to be moving in a positive direction but the staff survey has clearly highlighted that there are a number of areas that we must address to ensure that our staff continue to enjoy working here. After a number of years of improving employee engagement scores, we have to work hard as we certainly do not want to lose staff who can help us develop further as the demands on our services increase. We definitely want all staff to feel that they can be themselves and to promote ideas without any fear of criticism and this must be something that is led by example, particularly by senior staff. The staff survey is a particular opportunity for us to re-evaluate any assumptions we have and to work on addressing any issues our staff raise with us. As we do each year we have already started to address the comments raised in the latest survey. We are also keen to ensure that we take the opportunity to get feedback throughout the year rather than wait for an annual staff survey to tell us things that we should already be aware of and be addressing. Over the last quarter, we have been working with an external consultancy to review the way we operate and look at how teams and staff can work in a more fluid and flexible way. The review has now been completed and we are drawing up detailed plans of how to implement the recommendations. There are definitely opportunities to improve cross-department working and streamline our processes to give staff a greater chance to innovate and develop their skill-sets to meet our ever-changing working environment. Again, thank you for your feedback. We are concerned that your experience at ELEXON has not been a positive one for you and we will be working hard at taking your feedback on board as it is our strong intention and desire to continually evolve our culture so that it has a positive impact on our staff.

"Good people, good quality valued, good culture"

4.0
    Current Employee - A Member of BSC Operations in London, England

I have been working at ELEXON part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great opportunity to obtain an overview of many areas of the electricity industry. A great team atmosphere with lovely people who want to improve things for the electricity industry.

Cons

ELEXON will never be able to pay mega-bucks but makes up for this with a good range of opportunities and a good work-life balance.

March 30, 2020Head of HR

We appreciate you taking the time to add a review on Glassdoor. I would say that a great strength here is our company culture which places our staff at the forefront of how we approach work opportunities here and that our annual employee survey helps us keep grounded and in touch with our staff. Once again, thank you for your time.

"Disappointing on so many levels."

Former Employee - Graduate Analyst in London, England

I worked at ELEXON full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some nice people. Well stocked staff area (but needs updating). Central Euston location for transport links. Money's OK whilst you use the job as a stepping stone to something better.

Cons

Departmental cliques and lack of co-operation. Bureaucracy gone mad - " Here's a booklet about it". Crazy over-use of jargon to the point of incomprehension. Lack of any genuine career progression despite the much lauded Foundation programme which is the biggest con of all.

January 14, 2019Digital Channels Manager

Wow, that is some interesting feedback for us to consider. However, before I do respond I need to look into some of the comments you have made to make sure I understand where the potential issues may lie and whether we are currently planning on addressing them already. However, I would still like to thank you for sending us your feedback because it is only by receiving such examples can we aim to improve on how we are as a company. ... Sorry about just publishing an initial reply above ... I wanted to check a few things before expanding on the initiatives we have across the business and hopefully addressing your concerns in more detail. I think we could describe 2019 as ELEXON’s year of change as we have established a new, progressive corporate strategy and are undertaking a significant review of our culture to ensure it supports both our customers and our staff. We have recently recruited a new Director of Strategy and Communications and she is leading this transformation. Our strategy aims to simplify processes, encourage more cross-functional team activity, enable innovation, reduce jargon by promoting “plain English”, and placing our customers and staff at the front of our culture and services. We recognise that we have skilled and talented people at ELEXON and we want to ensure that there are opportunities for them as the company evolves. We are also keen to retain staff so have introduced schemes such as staff mentoring and training and have undertaken a series of workshops to review our culture, increase collaboration and reduce silos where they could exist. I am pleased to say that our latest staff engagement survey is indicating that we are continuing to move in the right direction and the analysis from the independent survey company shows that we are now in the top tier of organisations who are delivering a positive working environment for their staff. In addition we recently achieved the silver standard within IiP, but that of course should not make us complacent and there is always room for improvement, particularly when reflecting on your feedback. There is a definite and obvious desire from the Directors to review the issues you highlight and I am confident that that desire will translate into positive change throughout the coming year and into the future. Once again, thank you for sending us your comments as it is through feedback that we learn and introduce change.

"Great place to work with good culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at ELEXON full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have waited a year and half before writing my review to make sure any honeymoon period was over ... just in case ... but am very pleased to say that the positive experiences here have continued from day one. I have an excellent manager who cares about me and my work and I now formally work one day a week from home but have been doing so informally for several months. I also work flexible hours to fit in with home commitments. I have met several times with the Executive as part of my job and found them to be open and keen to support change and innovation. They are relaxed and know everyone by name and always happy to chat. CEO has a positive approach to staff and the company’s culture and is keen to see it develop further. Any issues that have been raised are taken on board and form part of an action plan to improve things. Annual staff survey is also a good way to raise issues or ideas and a “you said, we did” action plan comes out of this as well.

Cons

Some teams seem to apply a “local” approach to flexible working. However, this is now on the radar and should be tackled. Of course nowhere is perfect but I would recommend working here.

"Alright"

Former Employee - Settlements Analyst in Euston, England

I worked at ELEXON full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice area to work in, basic extras

Cons

High staff turnover, management not very supportive

May 14, 2018Head of HR

Thank you for your feedback about ELEXON. We have been looking at why a couple of our teams have recently experienced a slightly higher turnover rate compared to the majority of our teams who have remained fairly constant. It is always a tricky balance managing changing teams and staff numbers but we are now working with an external company to help us introduce the Investors in People (IiP) standards. These standard should enable us to develop the capabilities we need to meet staff expectations, retain high quality teams and ensure those teams have the necessary level of management support.

9. "Best decision I made"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at ELEXON full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Work Life Balance Open Culture Good benefits Challenging work

Cons

Risk adverse because of its role within the sector

Continue reading

"Friendly and supportive environment"

4.0
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at ELEXON full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice people to work with Some real industry experts to learn from Good benefit package Good work and life balance

Cons

Very procedure focused Lack of interesting works and career progression Job can be repetitive No promotion until there is a vacancy due to someone above leaves or team restructuring

Found 15 reviews