ELEXON Reviews

1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Excellent"

Current Employee - Market Analyst in Euston, England

I have been working at ELEXON part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great people with willing to help attitude - A very well organised organisation - One of the most important buddies in the GB electricity market operation - Great opportunities for learning

Cons

with this lockdown it is hard to get along with the staff which cannot be considered a company's disbenefit.

July 30, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking time to post your positive review on Glassdoor. It 's really encouraging to hear that you're happy with your new role at Elexon and that you have had positive support and help from your colleagues. Your comment about lockdown is of course a tricky one, as we are working in ways that we never really expected to have to do before, but we are learning as we go and things are moving forward. It has certainly proved that remote working is without doubt more than possible, and I agree it also brings a challenge to how we retain the contact between each other that was so easy when we were all in the office together. Maybe this is the way of he future for every company though and I guess international companies seem to maintain connectivity, somehow. It's something I'm conscious of for our cultural work. I myself started during lockdown so can certainly relate to your comment. We have recently sent out a survey to our people to find out what they think and how they visualise their future at Elexon. The big challenge is, that you can't please everyone all of the time, but at Elexon, my impression is that we're a business who certainly do our best to try. Geraldine Buckland Chief People Officer

2. "Great company with great benefits"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in London, England

I worked at ELEXON full-time for more than a year

Pros

upskilling, flexible, fair pay, friendly personnel

Cons

hard to progress outside of job change

March 30, 2020Head of HR

We appreciate you taking the time to add a review on Glassdoor. I would say that a great strength here is our company culture which places our staff at the forefront of how we approach work opportunities. Our annual employee survey helps us keep grounded and in touch with our staff. We are always striving to improve the opportunities for our staff and see this as part of the culture we support here at ELEXON. Once again, thank you for your review

3. "Do not bother @graduates"

2.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at ELEXON full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Honestly, can't think of one

Cons

So much promises & politics

February 26, 2021

Would you be happy to have further communication with me? It would help me get to the bottom of why your experience of working at Elexon was this way? I know I am asking a lot but I would really like to know more about your time with Elexon as this can help us develop opportunities here for our staff. Please feel free to contact our reception if you would like to help further. Brett Buchanan Head of Resourcing

4. "Good place"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Analyst in London, England

I worked at ELEXON full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work is interesting and the people are nice

Cons

The pay is relatively low.

February 2, 2021

Thank you for adding a review to Glassdoor. One of the regular areas of feedback I get from current and past staff is that we offer a positive place to work where the work is interesting and challenging. I am glad you too have had the same experience. You mention that the pay is relatively low but I am surprised you have said that as we truly strive to ensure that we offer competitive salaries and regularly check them against market indicators. We are a not-for-profit organisation so I suppose there are some restrictions but generally I hope we offer salaries and associated benefits that are attractive to our staff. I am planning a review in this area so will certainly take note of your feedback.

5. "OK but no clear/fair progression path"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in London, England

I worked at ELEXON full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Helpful, friendly colleagues. Respected in industry

Cons

Recruitment isn't a fair process, some people get away with not doing their jobs

July 23, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review and feedback about your experiences at Elexon. My door is always open, if you'd like to call and speak to me in more detail, personally. Feedback is what helps us to improve. It's great to see that helpful, friendly colleagues are your 'Pros,' as we pride ourselves on that team interaction and support. In my experience, as someone still quite new to the company, I absolutely agree with you. It certainly makes the daily experience of working at Elexon a positive one. However, I am concerned that your 'Cons' relate to our recruitment process and colleague accountability. Getting these things right is crucial to our ongoing role within the industry and to the value we place on our people. Our new People Strategy aims to set out 'how we do things around here' and this will include how we recruit, engage, grow and reward our people. Our refreshed values will aim to empower staff to challenge working practices that might fall below what we strive to achieve. I very much want to see robust, fair processes, as this will help ensure that we meet the expectations of all of our people and continue to deliver the services our customers expect and deserve from us. Once again, thank you for your feedback and I wish you well for the future. Geraldine Buckland Chief People Officer

"Professional insincerity spoilt everything else."

2.0
    Former Employee - EMR in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ELEXON full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice office. Some nice people. Coffee. Management leave you alone a lot of the time.

Cons

Biggest prob: Aside from writing stuff on walls, I never knew what the company stood for. The work is pretty meaningless and uninspiring. Lots of professional insincerity. Too much backstabbing which is camouflaged and goes undetected. I kept my head down for three yrs but a week after building up the courage to leave, I knew I'd made the right decision for me and wish I'd been braver sooner. People with any flair or charisma don't thrive at Elexon. Not everything is negative but a lot is fairly stiffling.

March 18, 2020Head of HR

Thank you for your feedback about Elexon and in particular the EMR service. Your description of EMR /ELEXON is not the type of organisation that we want to create, and your comments worry me. I would very much like to understand more about your experiences here. Would you be interested in corresponding directly with me or with someone else within the organisation who you might have retained contact with? You could even use our external exit interview provider, who would maintain your anonymity when providing us with your feedback. I have included the Career Practise email enquiries@thecareerpractice.co.uk, just in case you want to contact them. I will let them know that someone might contact them relating to this Glassdoor posting and for them to offer any support that they can.

7. "nice variety of challenges"

Current Employee - Market Architect in London, England

I have been working at ELEXON full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work consists of varied projects - everyone of them is different. Very people focused.

Cons

Not really hands-on, if you like that kind of thing.

March 30, 2020Head of HR

We appreciate you taking the time to add a review on Glassdoor. I love your positive comments and agree with your assessment of how our work determines the type of company we are and the variety of work we can offer potential employees. Once again, thank you for your time.

"Complacent and clique-y. Needs a shake-up."

1.0
    Former Employee - ProServe in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ELEXON full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free fruit. Central London location - must be super expensive to hire but great for office commute from Essex/Kent. Huge ‘investment’ in Christmas events - overkill tbh, but quite a perk and no work happens in December.

Cons

Silo departments, constantly point-scoring and ghetto-ising workforce. Bad habits stem from head managers. Rumour mongers and unprofessionally referencing each other. Culture of cliques, gossips, in/out manipulators, (‘Scottish mafia’). Notorious throughout the organisation for having meetings about meetings about meetings. Not enough external industry experience in workforce so bad practices have been adopted and become ingrained, causing some departments to grow way beyond their need where improved skill-set would keep headcount at manageable levels and improve efficiency. People get comfortable, keep their heads down and stay too long just for the pension payments. New ideas get stymied. Bureaucrats win. Bright new thinkers leave. Complete lack of mentorship - they struggle to get volunteers because everyone is too busy covering themselves either in glory or excuses/alibis in case of criticism. Anyone good leaves because of the mistrustful environment. Bright ideas people are quashed by negativity and lack of gumption/support from managers. Toxic environment where constructive criticism of processes are treated as a personal insult to the office holder causing playground responses.

January 31, 2020Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your work experience and observations of ELEXON. You raised concerns that will, of course, be a worry to us especially as you have felt that working here was not an ideal experience for you, which we are disappointed to hear. It is tricky to cover everything you have mentioned so I am hoping that my response will address the overall issues you have raised. Our annual staff survey which is published on our website (https://www.elexon.co.uk/about/about-elexon/working-at-elexon/) did highlight some issues on the way we work, leadership and culture which is a concern for our senior managers. We hope to be moving in a positive direction but the staff survey has clearly highlighted that there are a number of areas that we must address to ensure that our staff continue to enjoy working here. After a number of years of improving employee engagement scores, we have to work hard as we certainly do not want to lose staff who can help us develop further as the demands on our services increase. We definitely want all staff to feel that they can be themselves and to promote ideas without any fear of criticism and this must be something that is led by example, particularly by senior staff. The staff survey is a particular opportunity for us to re-evaluate any assumptions we have and to work on addressing any issues our staff raise with us. As we do each year we have already started to address the comments raised in the latest survey. We are also keen to ensure that we take the opportunity to get feedback throughout the year rather than wait for an annual staff survey to tell us things that we should already be aware of and be addressing. Over the last quarter, we have been working with an external consultancy to review the way we operate and look at how teams and staff can work in a more fluid and flexible way. The review has now been completed and we are drawing up detailed plans of how to implement the recommendations. There are definitely opportunities to improve cross-department working and streamline our processes to give staff a greater chance to innovate and develop their skill-sets to meet our ever-changing working environment. Again, thank you for your feedback. We are concerned that your experience at ELEXON has not been a positive one for you and we will be working hard at taking your feedback on board as it is our strong intention and desire to continually evolve our culture so that it has a positive impact on our staff.

"Good people, good quality valued, good culture"

Current Employee - A Member of BSC Operations in London, England

I have been working at ELEXON part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great opportunity to obtain an overview of many areas of the electricity industry. A great team atmosphere with lovely people who want to improve things for the electricity industry.

Cons

ELEXON will never be able to pay mega-bucks but makes up for this with a good range of opportunities and a good work-life balance.

March 30, 2020Head of HR

We appreciate you taking the time to add a review on Glassdoor. I would say that a great strength here is our company culture which places our staff at the forefront of how we approach work opportunities here and that our annual employee survey helps us keep grounded and in touch with our staff. Once again, thank you for your time.

"Great place to work with good culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at ELEXON full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have waited a year and half before writing my review to make sure any honeymoon period was over ... just in case ... but am very pleased to say that the positive experiences here have continued from day one. I have an excellent manager who cares about me and my work and I now formally work one day a week from home but have been doing so informally for several months. I also work flexible hours to fit in with home commitments. I have met several times with the Executive as part of my job and found them to be open and keen to support change and innovation. They are relaxed and know everyone by name and always happy to chat. CEO has a positive approach to staff and the company’s culture and is keen to see it develop further. Any issues that have been raised are taken on board and form part of an action plan to improve things. Annual staff survey is also a good way to raise issues or ideas and a “you said, we did” action plan comes out of this as well.

Cons

Some teams seem to apply a “local” approach to flexible working. However, this is now on the radar and should be tackled. Of course nowhere is perfect but I would recommend working here.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 English Reviews