ELS Educational Services "enrollment" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

ELS Educational Services Employee Reviews about "enrollment"

Updated 6 Dec 2019

2.6
ELS Educational Services CEO   Curt Uehlein (no image)
Curt Uehlein
1 Rating
Pros
  • "Great benefits for an ESL school (used to work for 2 other companies that didn't give any benefits)(in 24 reviews)

• "Health Benefits, great international students(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Your job depends on enrollment numbers(in 22 reviews)

• "Low pay like most teaching position(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "enrollment"

Return to all Reviews

"So Much Incompetence, So Little Reward"

Former Employee - Instructor
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Meeting students from a rich variety of nationalities and backgrounds is interesting.

Cons

I have worked for 6 different entities at both private and publicly owned entities. This was the worst. The schedules are nuts (a "session" lasts only 4 weeks so you really have to compact your lessons and you waste a lot of time on grading and reports) Local management was incompetent (for example, a top staff person with no training or experience for managing a training school) and the two top people could be very cruel in their critiques and demands (I saw them reduce long term employees/colleagues to tears with their criticism) and I never saw or heard of anything really constructive or supportive that they did. The pay is poor and instructors spend hours outside classroom teaching time to prepare lessons and do grading). ELS had a multiyear contract with Saudi Arabia to teach young Saudis. That contract was canceled when a new Saudi king took over so enrollment dropped like a rock. Teacher hours depend on enrollment, so hours dropped drastically, too. Don't work here if you need a steady, reliable income because it's just not here any more.

ELS Educational Services2019-12-06

"Overworked. Little Pay."

Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at ELS Educational Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits half schedule on Fridays Tuition reimbursement (up to 4,000 a year)

Cons

Your job depends on enrollment numbers. If the numbers are low, administration (academic director and even center director) are made to teach the classes instead since this is a part of their job description and included in their salary. The number of students determine the hours that the higher ups will allow the director to fit instructor into. It’s ridiculous. It’s a company. Not a school. They care about the money and not the education aspect. Students are jammed into one class ranging from the lowest levsl to the kid level and the instructor is the one that has to teach a class for multi levels and the students hate it and it’s more work on the teacher and unfair for the students. It’s intimidafing for a level 0 student to be in a class with a level 6 student who can speak and understand the languge a lot more. The amount of work/planning these classes require in a 4 week session period is outrageous and you are not compensated for it. They say prep time is included in the wages but it’s offensive. Raises? Dream on. I’ve had two raises in going on 5 year. Both were less than a dollar. They don’t value their employees. You may get some lunch bought but that’s because they turn your lunch into a meeting maybe once or twice a month. Just another expendable Employee working at ELS. There is no instensive to grow. If you have your masters degree in ESOL or related your pay will increase slightly but even that’s laughable.

ELS Educational Services2019-02-15
  3. "ELS Instructor"

I worked at ELS Educational Services part-time

Pros

Great Coworkers. Great Benefits. Interesting to meet people from all over the world.

Cons

Hours are based on student enrollment. Pay is okay until you get married and want to have kids.

ELS Educational Services2018-08-07
  4. "Happy here"

I have been working at ELS Educational Services full-time

Pros

As a teacher, you can’t find a better environment: diverse, motivated, inspiring students, small class sizes and good course materials.

Cons

Available hours depend on enrollment no matter how long you’ve been with the company.

ELS Educational Services2018-05-19

"Associate English Language Instructor"

Former Employee - Associate English Language Instructor
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

The students are incredible people and incredibly dedicated to their studies. I loved my classes.

Cons

Administration is a nightmare. Fluctuating enrollment numbers meant that teachers didn't know what their next months paychecks would look like because low enrollment means less instructional hours. Instructors are payed by instructional hour. Wages are low. Even instructors with a master's degree make less than the average public school teacher. Teaching is year round with no traditional education breaks such as summer months off, spring break, fall break, or weeks off around Christmas. Overall, the company treats teachers really poorly.

ELS Educational Services2018-04-25

"Academic Director"

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great students and co-workers; - Opportunities for professional development: conference attendance, opportunities to receive a TESOL/CELTA Certificate etc.; - Great as a part-time employment opportunity; - Great place to start a career as an international educator for those who have no experience.

Cons

- Very unstable, especially for the instructors, whose employment and full-time vs. part-time status depends on enrollment numbers, which may lead to the loss of benefits and even being laid-off unexpectedly. The teachers have to worry about their employment every 4 weeks; - A big disconnect between centers and HQ management; - New centers open uncontrollably, but not enough is done for their development, so every year a number of centers close as well, which, again, leads to a very unstable employment; - Very few opportunities to grow, unless you are willing to move, often all the way across the country.

ELS Educational Services2017-09-11
  7. "A mix ..."

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, good health benefits

Cons

work very dependent on student enrollment

ELS Educational Services2017-05-12

"Unjustly treated like persona non grata"

Former Employee - ESL Instructor

I worked at ELS Educational Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

At the start, there was an atmosphere of collaboration and even conviviality. I looked forward to the monthly graduation ceremonies for students. Even when some problems came about, a "SWAT Team member" was brought in for a month. With his guidance, I received my best student reviews ever and just prior to his intervention, I was given some helpful hints from visiting professionals from headquarters who criticized what was warranted and offered sincere praise that was not overdone. At the end of the most memorable session, we all received small tokens of appreciation that reflected our personalities or lifestyles.

Cons

Unfortunately, this expert leadership was short-lived. The academic director who hired me had been let go for some unknown reason, which prompted the arrival of the "SWAT Team member." Soon after, the center director left. In the midst of all this turmoil, my employer "forgot" to pay me not once but twice. There were never enough hours, so I was told I could work as many or as few sessions as I wanted. I was even encouraged to go on vacation due to low enrollment. When I returned, I almost ended up with no hours at all. Then to add insult to injury, I was confronted by angry students waving papers and demanding I change their grade. Instead of putting a stop to it, the center director turned around and gave me a verbal warning for raising my voice. I broke down and cried a few times in this atmosphere of hostility but I was trapped since I needed the money. Being terminated due to low enrollment was a blessing in disguise.

ELS Educational Services2017-05-28

"Instructor View"

Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at ELS Educational Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Can be flexible with scheduling - Great for part-time teachers or substitutes - Diverse student population - Benefits of Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance and 401K up to 10% matched when working 20+ hours/week (after 120 days) - 120 hours vacation time* - New session every 4 weeks - allows instructors to change classes, levels, and students - Fast-paced intensive-English coursework for Communicative Language Teaching (CLT) approach

Cons

- Hourly wage per class, not including time to prepare and grade assignments outside of class - Student enrollment numbers impact instructor scheduling hours - Vacation time used when enrollment is low & need to maintain 20hr/wk for insurance - Out-of-class grading turn around is 24-48hrs after assignments are completed by students, which can seem impossible with class size maxed at 15 students writing 5+ paragraph essays

ELS Educational Services2017-03-24

"Great benefits, lots of expected outside work"

Current Employee - Senior Instructor

I have been working at ELS Educational Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent benefits for full-time teachers (20 teaching hours a week), great students, lots of already-developed curriculum

Cons

Unreliable work hours without seniority (based on student enrollment), corporate mandates slow to respond to local issues, a company first and a school second. The biggest con is the extensive amount of outside work (prep time, grading, developing activities) required by teachers and uncompensated by the company.

ELS Educational Services2017-02-26

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 22 reviews