EMC Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Michael Dell

4,202 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The passion of EMC can turn to poor work / life balance if you allow it to (in 169 reviews)

• Big Company, Usual Issues with Big Comapnies (in 92 reviews)

1. "Enjoyable but hard work"

I worked at EMC full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at EMC (pre Dell acquisition) and would recommend working there. Product and marketing is very strong, quality of the "team" is generally very good. Management can be a bit hit and miss but everyone expects blood sweat and tears working for EMC!!

Cons

Sometime unrealistic expectations are put on individual's targets which is very dis-heartening and affect morale hugely. Other than that it is a great place to work

Advice to Management

Set realistic targets that are challenging yet achievable not just blatantly unrealistic. Otherwise keep do what you are doing - from what I hear not an awful lot has changed since the Dell takeover...

2. "WAS a GREAT company..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentford, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentford, England

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Legacy EMC was a great company. Culture, people and environment as decreased dramatically (outside of sales) since the Dell acquisition. You knew at Day 1 that it was Dell. Clear out of most of the senior EMC Management worldwide. Back office like HR, IT, finance, and business operations all seen dramatic change and reduction in staff. The soul has now left the EMC side of the business.

Cons

Work hard environment. Very fast moving. Today the employees are no longer valued and still changes to come.

Advice to Management

Show the employees that you really care. Dell have wiped out the "care" that was central to the EMC DNA.

3. "Service Account Manager"

Pros

Fantastic Organization. Diversity and inclusion actualized.

Cons

Remote location staff are disadvantaged.

5. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in London, England

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great market reputation and products.
    Collaborative environment.
    Great people for the most part. Good team atmosphere.
    Surprisingly caring environment.
    Good training and support.

Cons

Usual quarter end cadence, which stifles strategic customer and market engagement.
    Ironically, challenging IT with poor support. Some tech, like phones not fit for purpose.

6. "decent for 0 hour contract"

Pros

shifts if and when needed

Cons

the managers didn't know what was going on the majority of the time

7. "Account Manager"

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to work; Great work life balance

Cons

Currently going through a major transformation with the merger

"EMC ex employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, work from home

Cons

No structure, focused on Q end only

"Worse company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Customer Service Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Engineer in London, England

Pros

None whatsoever. This is the only company I have nothing good to say anything about.

Cons

Where do I start when referring to the Evil MaChine?....I worked as a field engineer in London and this company is ran by sociopaths who couldn't care less about their employees. When I interviewed with them according to the position they advertised, they told me one thing, then when I finally joined - after waiting for TWO MONTHS because HR or whoever were apparently dragging their feet) - my then manager called me into a room and apologised and stated that I will actually be doing something else and that my salary will be somewhat lower than discussed! I couldn't believe what I was hearing but I needed a job after being made redundant from my last job.

Too many cons to even list: ridiculous shift patterns; assigning way too many jobs (including IMAC projects) that they expect you to complete at night with very little support without any regard to your capabilities or circumstances; bullying culture and blatant favouritism; horrible pay; no career progression; terrible managers who change the rules whenever they feel like it and try to stitch you up if you dare disagree with their ridiculous policies; utter contempt for their customers; the absolute WORSE call scheduling team ever. I could write a whole library on their incompetence have made that have had bad effects on engineers and customers yet for some strange reason were never held accountable.

There's more I could get into, but the point is if you value your sanity, want career progression and don't want to be cheated out of salary or benefits - AVOID! I cannot stress this enough. If I sound like some disgruntled ex employee - three people from my own team alone left EMC around the same time which speaks volumes. Every engineer who still works there that I come across in datacentres never have a good word to say about them and say I was lucky to leave when I did.

I was there for a short time and it was the worse working experience of my life. They couldn't pay me enough to ever work there again.

Advice to Management

There's no point because they don't take advice.

10. "Full-time"

Pros

Great company, beautiful offices, great people

Cons

Contractors didn't have good conditions as company employees.

11. "All change"

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England

I worked at EMC (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people and large enough scale to do some cool marketing. Fast paced and tech products can make it a fun place to work.

Cons

Fast pace can mean rushing out campaigns and work without really understanding the prospects or products. Department segmentation can cause a few problems.

Showing 4,202 of 4,462 reviews