EY Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Financial Management Associate in Southwark, England
    Former Employee - Financial Management Associate in Southwark, England

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance and ability to grow within the organisation

Cons

You can be regarded as just as small cog

Advice to Management

Communicate

2. "Brillianyt for your CV"

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Reading, England

I worked at EY (More than a year)

Pros

Able to meet lots of great people. Your weaknesses in the workplace will quickly come to light during feedback processes to make you a better worker.

Cons

Working hours are very invariable. As a service provider, you are at the mercy of your client.

Advice to Management

Think through large changes before implementation.

3. "Review"

Current Employee - Associate in Southampton, England

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family atmosphere is very strong

Cons

Salary is below all other Big 4 firms and some mid-tier firms in Southampton

5. "Associate Manager"

Current Employee - Associate Supervisor in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Supervisor in London, England

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, from all service lines and business sectors. Indeed there is a lot of intelligence.

Cons

The Global Culture is not easy manageable in smaller regions.

Advice to Management

Better catch up with Colleagues and increase the retention time of employees.

"Build a Better Working Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in London, England

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice London offices

Lots of soft skill learning available

Business services are responsive and helpful

Powerpoint skills are now through the roof. You will learn how to align all the shapes.

Cons

If you are hired as an experienced professional, then it doesn't matter what you did previously, you will be put on whatever engagement is available across the advisory business and that can be anywhere in the UK/abroad on short notice for long periods of time. It usually works out as a horrible game of pass the parcel, so make sure you have a good reason ready to try and avoid it being you

If you do not have a Partner who will back you up, you are at the mercy of the resourcing staff.

When you are parachuted into a completely new subject area, if you succeed, then it's EY's success, if you struggle then it's you the individual who is to blame.

If you try and avoid that situation, you are called 'inflexible' and placed onto a Performance Improvement Plan 'to improve your consulting skills' i.e. the art of winging it when you don't know the subject area.

If you try and tell your Counsellor or Pod Director you are in the wrong team as you are being put on engagements that are not relevant to your experience, then you will be reassured and then ignored. See previous paragraph.

Team mates/colleagues will point blank ignore you before and after you have served a specific purpose that benefits them. Be ready for plenty of awkward lift rides.

As such, there is next to no team spirit. EY have recognised this by trying to assign each other 'buddies' and 'family trees' forcing people to try and become friends with each other.

Your half year and year end reviews happen in a meeting you are not invited to. The scores you collate from your peers are rejected and your actual performance is decided by people who have next to nothing to do with you.

I didn't actually learn anything new about my subject area during my time with EY. I solely relied upon my previous knowledge (when it was even relevant to my work).

Cheaper to eat outside as the canteen has no price reductions.

Advice to Management

Be more honest with people during the recruitment process. I felt like I was totally mis-sold EY and the role I would be undertaking.

EY approached me about joining a specific team and undertaking specific projects. I was placed into a different team with a different skillset and every project I was placed on, my engagement team expected skills that I had never done before, making me partially useless.

Play to individual's strengths, don't just try and turn them into a generalist consultant and putting them into awkward situations with big clients.

7. "Great place to work, varied experience, supportive environment"

Former Employee - Corporate Finance Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Corporate Finance Associate in London, England

I worked at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity, fast paced interesting work and great culture - would highly recommend it

Cons

It's a people business fundamentally and so promotion can sometimes be highly dependent on relationships rather than on the job performance

8. "Is it worth it?"

Current Employee - Associate in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Associate in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at EY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good career prospects if you leave

Cons

You are expected to work long hours, including weekends, with awkward holiday restraints in place for much of the year. The hours continue all year round with no quiet period.

Salaries are below the market rate for other Big 4 firms in Edinburgh.

There is a lack of exposure for junior staff.

There are very few perks for such a large firm, including poor internal training.

Advice to Management

Raise salary to market rate
    Address working hours variation across teams

9. "Senior"

Current Employee - Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate in London, England

I have been working at EY (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loads of opportunities - no time to take advantage of them though!
    People are great there and a lot to learn technically and on a personal level. There are some incredibly bright inidividuals there.

Cons

Trying to move between roles is a pain! The business will try and stop you. T

There has been severe cuts to the budgets and it's quite discouraging.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to cut costs - The reason why people want to work with you is because they feel that you will invest in them but you are cutting everything and making them work stupid hours.

10. "Audit Associate Second Year"

Current Employee - Associate in Southampton, England

I have been working at EY full-time

Pros

-Good work culture
    -Flexible working
    -Exposure to a broad mix of clients

Cons

-Long hours
    -Salary is below market average

11. "Good place to work if you don't mind it being corporate"

Former Employee - Account Support Associate in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Account Support Associate in Manchester, England

I worked at EY part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had great support from my manager and wider team. They were very helpful in encouraging me not to overwork and supported me with figuring out how to make part-time work in the role.

Although I was 'just' in a support function (my phrasing) my contributions were valued by the technical teams I supported and there were clear opportunities for professional development if you wanted to move up.

Flexible working is embraced and facilitated very well (not just talked about) - wide-spread use within the company of Skype so you can collaborate with anyone, from anywhere.

Free hot drinks from a machine (not amazing quality but hot chocolate is great for a little pick-me-up!)

Cons

Office /EY global policy of hot-desking makes it hard to build meaningful relationships with colleagues and the office (2nd floor) had quite a quiet 'library' feel to it. That made it difficult to talk to people as I didn't like others listening in (for shy people life is hard!)

Break area for lunch in Barbirolli Square was not separated from work area and didn't feel like a private, chilled or welcoming space to eat in, especially if you want to have your lunch by yourself.

Expectation to work hard and play hard in order to build relationships and become embedded in the teams. But that is difficult if you already have a busy social life outside of work or just like quiet nights in.

Advice to Management

Keep up the guys work of supporting your direct reports and offering clear career progression.

Maybe rethink the hot-desking idea, especially for support staff who are office -based all week, let people in the same role sit together so they can collaborate!

Don't just offer part-time positions to mums, let any talented individual who wants to spend some of their working week doing something else, or who doesn't feel able to work the whole week, work part-time.