Eastman Employee Reviews about "small town"

Updated Sep 15, 2020

Found 43 of over 1,991 reviews

3.9
Eastman Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa
Pros
  • "Not expected to work over 40 hours per week and work/life balance is valued(in 169 reviews)

• "Friendly work environment, teams and no work pressure(in 118 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Decision making is a very lengthy process, an employee needs to have a champion to have a career(in 59 reviews)

• "Small town, large company -- transitioning to global company is difficult(in 43 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "small town"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great Internship

Sep 15, 2020 - Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people/culture, always willing to help you out. Worked on legitimate projects.

Cons

Small town, diversity could improve as well.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Inspiring and collaborative

Sep 4, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very positive work environment, collaborative and team focused

Cons

Corporate headquarters is in a small town and may not appeal to everyone; however, great location, good schools, and access to regional airports

3. 5.0
      Former Intern

Eastman is a great company

Sep 15, 2019 - Intern in Kingsport, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Great company culture * Lots of opportunity

Cons

* Small town, large company -- transitioning to global company is difficult

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Commitment to location (Kingsport, TN) is a major consideration for career opportunities

May 23, 2018 - Corporate Strategy Manager in Kingsport, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company is going through major business model change to catch up with the rest of the industry. 30% of employees approaching retirement age in the next few years. Therefore, lots of opportunities within the company. However, local connection or commitment to the location (Kingsport, TN) has become a major consideration for any career opportunities. Performance is secondary or even third tier consideration for career progress.

Cons

Company HQ located in a very remote area, Kingsport, TN. Most of the people in the company still have a small town mind-set. Company policy rewards loyalty instead of performance. For example, if 2 people doing exactly the same job, one could have an office and makes much more than the other just because the prior has been with the company for longer time. This is such a disappointment for a global company. Another thing has bothered me personally is Eastman likes to get in employee's personal life. For example, almost anyone who joined the company and moved from outside of Kingsport, TN will be asked when they are going to buy a house in town. This question will be asked many times for years until they actually bought a house. I have seen people at all levels, even Director level, to be excluded from promotion because of not having a house in town. Many people have left the company because of lack of career development opportunities.

7 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent company for innovation, professional development, and career growth!

Mar 29, 2017 - Advanced Chemist in Kingsport, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Management really cares about its employees professional development and gives us the resources to complete tasks successfully. -Cost of living -Beautiful area -Competitive pay

Cons

-Small town (could be a plus to some) with lack of diversity and open-minded people.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Employees, Poor Management

Nov 13, 2016 - Advanced Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The strength of Eastman will always be the boots on the ground. Coworkers are friendly and genuinely motivated to help you succeed. Front line management is focused on providing their employees with the tools they need to do their jobs. They also excel at mentoring and growing their employees. Driven and successful people are highly rewarded.

Cons

There are many layers of middle management, and from the bottom it is unclear how much value they add. Lower middle management (just above front-line supervisors) tends to be populated by yes-men that have little understanding of the processes or people they manage. Ineffective managers who have impressed somebody in the past are shuffled around to where they can do the least damage. Kingsport is a small town, and those who's parents work at Eastman get promoted with uncanny regularity. Decision-making is slow (except in the case of a manager's pet project!) such that most good ideas are not commercialized until the market has moved on and the product will no longer be profitable. The Executive Suite like to talk about the strength of Eastman's employees and how they are the reason for the company's success, especially before and after announcing layoffs or benefit reductions so the company can meet its earning growth targets. Layoffs are often done quietly. What was once a very paternalistic company where "Uncle George" Eastman took care of his employees is quickly becoming an investor-focused profit machine.

13 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great starting point

Jan 7, 2016 - Account Manager in Kingsport, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Eastman is a great place to start your career, you'll get some of the best training in the industry. I was able to work with managers that truly cared about me and my development. I worked with some of the smartest people in the industry. Eastman still has many great employees, and I would say they have employed some of the smartest people in the industry. I am proud that I worked at Eastman, I still recommend young people consider Eastman as an initial employer.

Cons

Lower than average pay than the industry. Few opportunities outside of Kingsport, TN. No incentive to keep pay in line with the industry when situated in a small town with very few other options available without relocation. HR and Management recognize this and implement various measures knowing many employees will tolerate more than in most geographic areas with more employment options.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Balanced

Nov 2, 2015 - Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best part about Eastman is the people. I love coming to work every day and working with some of the smartest and kindest people I know. I am challenged every day in my job, and I am constantly learning. Eastman cares about my work-life balance.

Cons

Eastman is located in a small town, so it's not always the most exciting place to be. Also, Eastman's communication can be slow.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

The name of the game at Eastman is INTEGRITY.

Oct 1, 2015 - Project Manager in Kingsport, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company strives to provide value to all its stakeholders by offering valuable products from safe and environmentally friendly processes. Everyone is empowered to identify safety risks and STOP any activity that could prevent someone from going home free from injury at the end of the day. Management is keenly aware of Eastman's role in protecting the environment so future generations can enjoy the planet as much as we do.

Cons

If anything, the area has a small-town feel. For some that's a benefit. For others who desire a more urban lifestyle, a different geography may be required.

10. 4.0

Great company

Sep 30, 2015 - Anonymous Intern in Kingsport, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

You have the opportunity to work with a lot of very smart and driven people.

Cons

The only con I'd say is that it is located in a small town, which is not my preference.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 43 Reviews