Edelman Senior Account Supervisor Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Dec 3, 2019

3.1
Edelman CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman
  1. "Lots of learning, lots of work"

Former Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting clients. Smart colleagues. Growth opportunities. A culture of caring about development and feedback and improvement, though there's not always time for this.

Cons

Work work work work work. Need to retain top mid-level talent more to push out some of the middling top-talent, allowing for smoother processes and better work-life balance. More office politics than necessary.

Advice to Management

Ease up on workload intensity to improve retention. In the medium and long run it'll help Edelman.

Edelman2019-12-03

"Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor/Senior Manager

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

Great place to get a good start in the industry

Cons

Career growth support is inconsistent; work life balance is non existent

Edelman2019-10-03
  3. "5 Years & Going Strong"

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent benefits and work life balance, great people with variable experience and expertise readily available all across the network, abundant opportunities to grow and learn. The company is also highly invested in retaining/promoting top talent with very competitive compensation.

Cons

Having been with the company for five years, I've seen it go through some ups and downs, like you'll find with most companies. Are there surges of turn-over at times? Of course! It's an agency after all. You've got your transient folks who are here to learn a few key things and then move on. You've got folks looking for instant rewards for great work (instead of demonstrating some consistency and ability to handle... the rough times with the smooth). And you've got people who just aren't cut out for agency life long-term and there's no shame in that - it's a demanding business but the pace of learning is highly rewarding. People come and go. Some stay for a year, a few years, or even a decade or more. I suppose I'm not really listing any cons but instead, answering the common ones I've seen from my colleagues, one of them being work-life balance. Like one executive once told me, "no one is going to manage your work life balance for you - you have to set your own boundaries." That means setting expectations with clients for when you can reliably turn-around quality work. That means setting expectations with your team and your managers about what you can reasonably manage. Are there times when you're going to need to work some long hours or endure a heavy week and some weekend work? Of course! I'm not saying you should never work more than 8 hours a day - that's not realistic here. But it's your responsibility to set your boundaries for the time and space you'll need to do your job well. It's your responsibility to manage your potential for burn-out, to speak up and raise the white flag like an adult when you need to, to address conflicts directly and professionally, not via the gossip pool where solutions go to die. I see the company embracing the digital evolution of our world to keep our business relevant. I see leadership noticing the trends in what employees today need and their willingness to offer different amenities and solutions. I see a company that truly cares and leadership that is actively invested. There are good times and there are bad, but Edelman is still a cut above the rest and I believe in it.

Advice to Management

Your efforts are not going unnoticed - I appreciate you!

Edelman2019-09-16

"Toxic Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some teams get exposure to interesting clients.

Cons

Edelman does not care about you as a whole person. Atmosphere is gossipy and catty. All they care about is how much work and money they can squeeze out of you. Regret making to transition to agency work from in house. No wonder we can't keep clients and can't keep up with our competitors. It is burnout for real, with none of the perks of other demanding jobs.

Advice to Management

Think about your employees as people... it's almost a 50% turnover rate.

Edelman2019-08-13
  5. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Accounts are good and varied

Cons

None that I can think kf

Edelman2019-02-02

"Entrepreneurial, P&L driven"

Senior Account Supervisor

I worked at Edelman for more than 5 years

Pros

Global agency with good international opportunities; entrepreneurial spirit = if you come with good ideas and the business case you can create it (they love new products clients will buy up); get to work with some of the largest, most influential organizations in the world.

Cons

Very P&L-driven, to a fault. It's not ALL about growth. Culture is dependent on local leaders and local teams to carry. They let people go fairly often (particularly VP and up) which hurts morale and adds to high turn-over fatigue in teams and for clients.

Edelman2017-10-31

"Senior Account Supervisor"

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Get to work with the best thought-leaders in the industry, big clients, international opportunities; Great leadership team

Cons

The NYC office is mired in politics, moving past the AS/AM level is not merit-based anymore but it's favoritism/cronyism. Hence, one can more often than not find themselves with a line manager that is not interested in great work or let alone helping you grow, but that is purely in it for themselves. One mistake and you get thrown under the bus. Eat or be eaten mentality.

Advice to Management

P&L structure is a hindrance and cause for most of the politics that is poisening the workplace culture; The leadership/executive team has all the best intentions at heart, and the values they hold dear are certainly great, but they need to open their eyes to the fact that follow-through down to the AAE level is NOT happening.

Edelman2017-07-21

"Not a great place...need to be revamped...it is sinking"

Former Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The PTO The clients (they should really evaluate their billing and the work product closely; it doesn't match up) Some decent people The office (nice location) Interns--they are hopeful people

Cons

Leadership-- they do not take responsibility for the failing business. They pass blame. Also they need to learn objectivity. The favoritism is almost a person there. They keep bad managers in place when they know the incompetent people need to be let go. CEO---he needs people skills. He is so full of himself! He can't even look people in the eye when walking down the hall. And if he tells you he cares, you... better not believe him. He leans too much on his HR person, who is a lying character. HR--- she should be labeled the gossiper of the office. She pretends to solve issues but she is the issue. How does a HR person who doesn't bring one cent to the business but is so involved in the accounts and its people. She also spends the company's money taking people out to lunch. Business-- this company doesn't know how to bring in new business especially some departments. Its leadership or lack of leadership are cry baby bullies. One department's idea of bringing in new business is going to other offices begging for leftovers. There is a senior level manager whose believes or demonstrates that lying, yelling and whining work. It works for her and it works in the Edelman South office. She should have been let go but they reward her with more money and titles. And the sad part about it is everyone knows. Over sellers but under achievers--- the clients better guard their budgets. That South office comes up with so much crap to sell that they forget what they need to sell---good sound counsel with results. Favoritism---it exists in the Edelman South office! Enough said. Gossiping---everyone talks and leadership sets the tone for that. Morale and spirit- there isn't any!

Advice to Management

Get training and start appreciating the people you have. They are so miserable there but they won't tell you because they are afraid of retaliation. Plus you won't listen. You are too busy being psychoanalysts or more like psychos. They need to bring into new leadership from the office. They do it for new business. Get some good leadership.

Edelman2017-04-04
  9. "Senior account supervisor"

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Clear path for career development, opportunities to change departments and practices

Cons

Client service brings high pressure

Advice to Management

Help account managers navigate the politics and challenges that comes with collaborating across departments (creative, analytics, crisis, etc.)

Edelman2016-01-07

"Dysfunctional office, tone deaf corporate leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Opportunity to work with, and learn from, brilliant PR pros throughout the Edelman network - team members from Austin, New York and Seattle are particularly strong. - Profit sharing was a nice benefit -Good health/dental/vision insurance - Company matched 401K contributions

Cons

- Work-life balance is non-existent. The company pays a lot of lip service to the concept, and makes overtures to demonstrate a commitment to women in the workplace, but the day-to-day reality involved a lot of 60+ hour work weeks and constantly staying glued to my phone during off-hours. - Salaries - particularly at the junior level (AAE/AE/SAE) - were ridiculously low (much lower than average salaries paid by... other DFW agencies). I felt terrible about the amount of work we piled on staff while providing marginal compensation. - Promotions are given twice a year, and personal performance plays a small role in determining advancement (it seemed that more emphasis was given to regional revenue/ P&L). -Digital expertise in Dallas is almost non-existent; heavy reliance on senior staff in Austin and other offices. -Corporate and local leadership don't seem to understand the Dallas market.. The agency has a lengthy track record of churning through general managers every 3-5 years, which resulted in two major bouts of staff turnover during my tenure.

Advice to Management

- Provide competitive salaries to your staff. They work incredibly hard. - Bring in local, senior talent to lead the office. Listen to them. What works in Silicon Valley or New York doesn't necessarily work in Dallas. - Focus on providing employees with real opportunities for work-life balance (hint: unless staff members are working on a major, time-sensitive campaign or a crisis, the office should be empty by... 6:30 p.m.)

Edelman2015-12-11