Edelman Senior Vice President Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 73 reviews

3.1
Edelman CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

"Terrible, terrible, terrible leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This company used to be well-run, efficient, profitable, and equitable to employees. In the past it was a meritocracy that produced high-quality, innovative, and truly insightful guidance to clients. With the leadership changes that began with the hiring of Steve Lombardo, this all ended.

Cons

Beginning with the hiring of Steve Lombardo as "Global CEO" the wheels began to come off this company, and judging by the other recent reviews, that downward trajectory has continued. Aimless leadership, changes in corporate structure that were for the sake of change alone, and a toxic culture were reasons why, after nine years and a successful career at the company, I left and have never looked back.

Advice to Management

Richard Edelman, you made a series of crucial mistakes in your management of senior talent at StrategyOne, now Edelman Berland. The junior and mid-level talent you have is fantastic, your overseas leadership is excellent. But the top management in the US needs to go.

Edelman2014-11-19

"Great company, dynamic, creative and talented co-workers, terrific clients, fabulous opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Edelman has a well-deserved stellar reputation in the PR industry. The client list is stellar, your co-workers are all rock-stars, the atmosphere is nurturing and they respect your work-life balance.

Cons

While the salary is good and bonuses during my tenure have been great, I don't like the fact that annual raises are tiny- under 3% I believe. I don't know if that would change during a year when bonuses might be limited, but think an excellent performance should merit a more substantial annual raise.

Edelman2014-10-13
  3. "Amazing place to work alongside the best and brightest"

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Super talented colleagues; great clients means we get to work on interesting and challenging assignments; proud to be part of a firm with such a strong and respected reputation

Cons

Superstars get tapped a lot

Advice to Management

Find quick-hit ways of sharing updates regularly; apply our employee engagement expertise to Edelman's internal communications, too

Edelman2014-10-13
  4. "Top agency, best talent, becoming a creative shop, what else could you ask for?"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Broad range of clients and I often utilize the broad network of experts you simply can't find at any other agency. We are making strides to become the lead marketing agency. The fellows program allows junior team members to transfer to international offices for one year, an amazing benefit of the agency.

Cons

Over the past few years the agency has become much more political internally within the senior leadership team. In the rare event there is a bad hire, we have historically been slow to correct the situation. Better integration across other office team is needed, especially at the practice level.

Advice to Management

Many teams have become top heavy and we must recruit quality junior staff to support our clients. Our EdelU program seems to have stalled out, invest and have a greater emphasis on our continuing education. The MIP program is too confusing and does not reflect the senior teams investment into the business, this needs to be restructured.

Edelman2014-10-10
  5. "Blazing a trail for the future"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edelman full-time for less than a year

Pros

Incredibly smart and talented workforce. This company gets it, sees where the industry is going. Ability to meld social/traditional/digital/measurement = best-in-class. Unlimited ambition, which can be infectious (in a good way). Diversity of coworkers makes every day an adventure.

Cons

Divergence of traditional and digital mediums is both a blessing and a curse, but the savvy of our department heads stack the deck in Edelman's favor.

Advice to Management

Continue respecting the talent and vision our junior staff embodies. They will be the leadership, soon enough.

Edelman2014-10-09
  6. "Position with an exceptional range of duties and collaboration with exceptionally talented colleagues"

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

1. Edelman is an adventurous agency that invests in fresh technologies because its CEO is truly a master at identifying cutting-edge advances in communications and puts funds behind testing them out. 2. The range of opportunities, with clients large and small, makes the job so interesting and enjoyable. 3. Colleagues are, for the most part, smart and collaborative and very interesting. 4. Edelman is making an earnest...

Cons

1. I'm paid squarely but younger, newer colleagues complain that salaries are below the industry average and promotions often take longer than they expected. 2. The agency has grown so large so fast that it must ensure that employees and their careers don't get shortchanged.

Advice to Management

Continue to take the steps being taken to stay ahead of the pack, committed to doing good, making the workplace collegial, shooing away or better training poor managers with bad management practices and abusive language. (But those are very few and far less than when I joined eight years ago.

Edelman2014-10-09
  7. "Embraces Innovation. Always In Motion."

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time for less than a year

Pros

Edelman has assembled a staff with incredible intellectual capabilities and industry experience. The eclectic mix of skill sets, points of view and industry insight allows for more effective teamwork and better client service. New ideas are valued from every level of staff. Edelman is always in motion and the generation of ideas are never static or stale.

Cons

Edelman's global network is a clear and distinct market advantage, but navigating the global matrix can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Interoffice integration and knowledge sharing is fantastic, yet sessions need to have more pragmatic applications to real-life scenarios.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, entrepreneurial culture, and a roster of big clients

Cons

Not great at onboarding or building connective tissue across teams

Edelman2014-10-09
  9. "Adrenaline ride of opportunities, deadlines and experiences"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company is extremely entrepreneurial and you have many opportunities to grow a long-lasting career that is incredibly dynamic and engaging.

Cons

It is a competitive environment, which can make it intense at times. However, we hire smart and creative people who are interested in being successful and pushing the limits for new ideas, approaches, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on removing arbitrary barriers created internally by separate P&L structures between offices (and sometimes even within the same office).

Edelman2014-10-09
  10. "True global network of talented, collaborative colleagues doing good work"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The true global network, bright colleagues, entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative culture make this a great place to work.

Cons

After you get to a certain senior level, your options for growth and development are more hard to come by. The firm would benefit from more focused/formal career guidance for its top performers. And, you need to get promoted to see any real pay raise.

Found 73 reviews