Eden Scott Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.4
Eden Scott CEO Guy Martin
Guy Martin

"Happy here!"

I have been working at Eden Scott full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive environment, encouraged to continually learn & develop, travel opportunities to events & conferences etc, great commission & perks, no KPI environment -focus on letting the quality of our work drive the quantity, great central office locations, great people!

Cons

Beautiful building but would prefer a more open plan, modern office in Edinburgh. Would be good to see the whole team every day! Perhaps something for the future..

Eden Scott2017-11-02
  2. "Ok for an agency"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Eden Scott full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people , office location is great

Cons

Management only care about top performers. No time of your not flavor of the month

Eden Scott2019-06-20

"Nice people but not to work with.. selling the job prospect well but they can’t hold up to!"

in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Eden Scott

Pros

Very welcoming and make you feel part of the team - initially. Great idea’s of allowing you to lead the way independently in building your own desk ( but constantly putting blocks in with fee’s and idea’s that don’t comply with market.)

Cons

Do not have knowledge of markets out with accounts and finance but yet do not take advice or criticism from people with experience out with their main industry. The team soon doesn’t feel that at all and colleagues are actually battling against each other venomously to be in the top spot. The atmosphere became draining and toxic. Lower/ junior consultants constantly bursting into tears in bathroom with pressure and... constant thread of being let go if sales didn’t go up. Very competitive and false environment! Like their consultants to bow down and be quiet. Opinions are null and void if management don’t agree. Very narrow minded

Advice to Management

Think past your budget and big job title and actually put some time into developing your young consultants instead of instilling fear into them. It’s very demotivating from for them and unbearable to sit back and watch coming from much more reputable companies where I have never ever experienced the like!

Eden Scott2019-05-01

"Poor company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Eden Scott full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some decent employees that are supportive Free fruit a couple of days a week Reasonable management depending on the team you’re in

Cons

No training structure Teams very secluded in different rooms in the office Poor atmosphere Leadership only speak if you’re smashing targets or in their pockets Poor induction process No benefits - extremely poor pension, no insurances, gym membership etc. not up to industry standard Ancient systems/technology Poor overall work ethic - office sometimes empty before 6pm

Eden Scott2018-03-11

"Great company, some improvements needed"

I have been working at Eden Scott full-time

Pros

Great office location and working culture. No strict KPIs or micromanagement. Everyone left to get on and do the job they are there to do. Good development and training provided for all staff. Very social office with nice people working there!

Cons

IT systems & database starting to date and offices looking quite tired and shabby, showing their age.

Advice to Management

Keep the working culture. Improve the working environment with some decorating/furniture/revamp as offices are looking and feeling dated and old compared to a lot of companies these days.

Eden Scott2017-11-15

"Could be so much better."

Current Employee - Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Eden Scott full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have a good reputation when it comes to clients and their candidate management is reasonable too. Staff are friendly for the most part.

Cons

- Messy and under utilized Systems. - A large number of their key staff who made this business a success have left over the past 2 years which is a testament to this degrading business. - When someone leaves they start bad mouthing them which is very unprofessional - Lack of overall company vision and collaboration across Eden Scott's different divisions

Eden Scott2017-10-12

"Good Company and Good People"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Eden Scott full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed my time with Eden Scott. I worked there for almost 3 years after a former colleague from another agency moved across and told me some good things. The people I worked with are / were some of the best I have worked with in my entire career. I am still friends with a number of them to this day and often miss the team camaraderie and fun we shared in the Glasgow office. Lets have it right, this... is agency recruitment people and it is always going to be about making money for the business. Eden Scott is a good set up for experienced recruiters who already know what they are doing and have a presence in the market but don't want to be caught up in ridiculous pointless KPIs and micro management. If you can justify to them that you can work better by tweaking some of your targets (i.e less visits but more candidate interviews), they will listen to you and work with you. People have commented about the Directors not being very hands on or visible to new starts but to be fair, what company Directors usually are?? Its not their job to hold hands of new starters, that's what senior consultants and office managers are for. During my time, I enjoyed fantastic boat parties, performance lunches, black tie industry awards events and extravagant Christmas parties. All organised and paid for by the Directors. We also had regular office nights out and the Glasgow Manager was always happy to get the drinks in for everyone. The Directors aren't going to manage you through your career but they will reward you for a job well done, and if you do need to have a conversation with them about something, I dare say they will likely hear you out. For my part, I saw the Directors on occasion when they would frequent the office and found them to be quite willing to have a chat if you went and spoke to them. They always seemed to appreciate hearing about what was happening at the coal face. Eden Scott still have a good name in the industry despite a bit of a recent revolving door situation with staff. However, this happens in recruitment. All agencies go through periods where they have the same staff for a few years and then a number move on within a few months of each other. I saw the same thing happen at the agency I was with before Eden Scott. Its not unique to them. Overall I highly rate Eden Scott and would say they are well worth having a chat with if you are considering a move within or into the recruitment industry.

Cons

As with all companies, there are going to be some gripes. I know a few that were shared by a few colleagues such as - 1) Payroll function always delegated chasing PO numbers and invoices to the consultants as well as only letting you know last thing on a Friday if your temp was being paid which could really stress you out if you were already busy. However they may have addressed this now. 2) Sometimes felt... like Edinburgh office was where the main focus was and that other offices didn't enjoy as much attention. Not really a con, just something that was noticed and again perhaps things have changed since. 3) Limited progression. This is not unique to Eden Scott but it can be an issue unless you join a corporate giant like a Hays or a Michael Page. Career progression is really only going to go so far as base salary increases and being appointed to a more senior level of consultant. For a lot of experienced consultants, they are quite happy with this as they have no interest in managing a team and would prefer to be billing and earning commission. However, if you are thinking that you will do the consultant piece for a couple years and then automatically transition into a business manager role and put the feet up and relax, its not going to happen. Even the most senior of staff at Eden Scott will still pick up the phone on occasion and fill a job! Don't get me wrong, if you have ideas about where you would like to be further down the line, the management will always have a chat with you and hear you out, however in small-medium agencies you need to bear in mind there might not always be the same opportunities. 3) IT systems. Less to do with Eden Scott as an employer and more to do with their choice of IT support so I cant be too critical! However, the IT systems would regularly struggle which could make it difficult to complete tasks on occasion.

Advice to Management

Take on board some of the critical comments others have made but also take most of it with a pinch of salt. When people leave on bad terms they tend to vent. There are a lot of things Eden Scott do very well and the company is doing well in what is now a far more competitive market for recruitment agencies. If it hasn't already happened, perhaps look into updating the IT systems, adding some internal support to... the payroll function to relieve a little stress on consultants and maybe start to develop a more clear cut career progression plan that is reviewed regularly between consultants and management. One thing that I know another agency does and gets a good response to is Director - Staff Q&A once a quarter. Company Directors will visit an office and spend an hour or so answering questions put to them by the sales floor. It is a pretty straight forward and informal conversation, designed so that the consultants get to blow off a little steam and also get quick responses to any issues they may be having.

Eden Scott2017-09-05

"No, Just No."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Eden Scott full-time for more than a year

Pros

I chose Eden Scott over several other agencies as I truly believed that they were different. They have a good reputation when it comes to clients and their candidate management is reasonable too. Salaries and benefits are good and for the most part, the staff are OK. Luke warm wine is served in the last Friday of every month. Oh and the lads all go golfing on a regular basis.

Cons

It's very much a 'face fits' environment. You'll learn very quickly if yours doesn't. There's no support structure in place or real training so you have to learn quickly and pretty much on a trial and error basis (as no one has time to answer your questions) ! There are lots of cliques within departments and with the exception of a few, no 'genuine' people (especially directors). There's no real leadership from... Directors (only 2 of whom I actually have respect for!) in fact for the entire duration of my employment, no meetings either team or company, team building, motivational chats etc! only talk of boat parties, golf days and of course it's only the favourites that get /want to go! Longer serving staff are in it for themselves and will stab you in the back without blinking! There's very little trust and if you don't like the way things are done, don't even think about making your feelings known. This company isn't for everyone, so think long and hard before joining!

Advice to Management

Directors should take a real interest in new starts - invest a bit of time - invite them out to play golf? It's slightly embarrassing for a 'reputable' recruitment company to have failed repeatedly with their own recruitment......

Eden Scott2017-06-27

July 12, 2017Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide Eden Scott with a review, we value your feedback. Thank you for highlighting our good reputation in the market with our clients and candidates, it is certainly where we are aiming to differentiate ourselves from the competition. Also thank you for your positive review of our salary and benefits package, this is always good to hear. Bit perplexed you were a fan of the lukewarm wine so we’ve decided not to take your advice on this one. We always welcome new staff into the fold here at Eden Scott. They get a chance to meet as many of the staff as possible although it does take a while to remember everyone’s name. Recruitment is a very competitive, fast paced world. We appreciate it can sometimes seem like whirlwind and it’s not suited to everyone. However we have always operated a “no question is too silly” approach as everyone is always learning, even the more experience consultants. Making mistakes is one of the best ways to learn, although it is important to action your learning, so you’re right our training does encourage our consultants to take responsibility for their actions. We would have to take issue with your assessment of your colleagues however. We understand that not everyone will get a long in a business but we do encourage and value respect while you work with us. Every one of our team comes to work to deliver the very best possible service for their clients and candidates. Their aim, and that of the business, is to build long lasting relationships with our customers so we can establish a business with real longevity. We believe, in an industry that has reputation for “the quick sell” that we can really differentiate ourselves with true customer service and we will always recruit for these skills. Our directors have lead the business through extremely challenging financial times and the business has continued to operate as a profitable independent business. Thank you for your advice on taking more new recruits for games of golf. We know not everyone enjoys a game on the links so we will try to find other ways to further develop our on-boarding process. As always we’d be happy to discuss with you offline if you’d like to get in touch.

"Consultant"

Senior Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Eden Scott

Pros

Its based City Centre and handy when interviewing candidates and client visits

Cons

Poor leadership from the owners of Eden Scott Lack of Training or any type of support You need to be part of the boys club in Edinburgh to get promoted It would be more fun to work in a grave yard than for this organisation

Eden Scott2017-06-06

July 13, 2017Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review, we very much appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on our business. Our leadership team have built the business from a small start-up in 2003 to a thriving profitable recruitment business with a turnover of £15m and four offices across the country in 2017. Their leadership has guided the company through a very challenging financial crisis that has seen a number of our competitors close their doors. We do understand it’s not always popular to take leadership decisions but successful leadership is about the greater good and ensuring the success of the company and those working within it. Our training programme is open to all consultants and provides regular sessions on areas they ask for however if you felt it wasn’t meeting your needs we will review it with our current staff and identify ways to improve it. Eden Scott is in the fortunate position of having a very balanced compliment of staff and over 80% of our top consultants last year were female. Promotions are always awarded based on performance and suitability for the role, not everyone can lead and we have structured our business to reflect this so there is potential for progression for everyone. We certainly do enjoy a relaxing drink at the end of a week. However we hope the cake baking, soup making contests, team parties and quiz nights also make for a fun place to work in what is a challenging marketplace. As always we’d be happy to discuss with you offline if you’d like to get in touch.

"Avoid Avoid Avoid"

I worked at Eden Scott

Pros

Eden Scott grab you with talks of summer boat parties, incentives and being your own boss however as soon as you start you will begin to realise it is a bunch of consultants only looking out for themselves and will back-stab you, steal your clients and ignore you to become no.1!

Cons

Directors don't take kindly to glassdoor reviews and recently sent an email labelling people that have left reviews as 'a couple of crazies (or the same person)' and they 'don't want to give this site or a few randoms too much oxygen'!! Basically telling everyone to get on glassdoor and write positive reviews! Hence why you will see an influx of positive reviews every so often. No sense of loyalty at Eden Scott... and all the directors have favourite consultants and if your not one of them, prepared to be ignored, very much a boys club and you would need to be one of the favourites to even think about getting promoted! Certain consultant walks all over their manager and seems to think their in charge while making the rest of the team feel like dirt and other people watch and don't say a word.

Advice to Management

Directors take the time to get to know consultants, maybe it should be you that takes a few new consultants out for lunch and make them feel part of Eden Scott.

Eden Scott2017-06-10

July 12, 2017Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review, we very much appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. Recruitment is a competitive world but we have always been very proud of the teamwork here at Eden Scott and actively encourage it be rewarding all consultants involved. As a business we very much value the profile Glassdoor provides potential consultants and clients and we actually enjoy a reasonable level of referral traffic from Glassdoor to our website. As highlighted by our Account Manager at Glassdoor we do encourage our team to provide an honest appraisal of working with Eden Scott so there is a balanced view of the business. A number of our team have enjoyed their five year sabbatical ensuring their loyalty is well valued and rewarded. Our board of directors is 40% female and 80% of our top consultants last year were female so we have a very balanced approach to our workforce. We do like your suggestion of more lunches however, always happy to go for a bite with the team. As always we’d be happy to discuss with you offline if you’d like to get in touch.

Found 20 reviews