Edinburgh Napier University Employee Reviews about "lectures"

Updated 2 Jun 2020

3.7
Edinburgh Napier University Principal & Vice-Chancellor Andrea Nolan (no image)
Andrea Nolan
Pros
Cons
  • "Senior management need to be visible and demonstrating improved results(in 5 reviews)

• "Bad organisation between lectures, classes overlapping themselves and taking off classes you would like to do(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "lectures"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Student"

5.0
    Current Employee - Student in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Edinburgh Napier University full-time

Pros

Good lectures, easy communications among students and staff.

Cons

Can not think of any

2. "Great University"

Current Employee - Student Nurse in Edinburgh, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Edinburgh Napier University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tons of support from staff Numerous tutorials, lectures, workshops, etc.

Cons

Very, very poor admin... You should *not* have to wait till the week before a placement, to find out where it is taking place.

"Bad Leadership"

1.0

I worked at Edinburgh Napier University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Colleagues were generally nice and tried to give students a good experience despite bad management decisions.

Cons

Unfortunately, a change of principle lead to a general bad approach to university leadership and planning with even good ideas turning bad as they were then badly implemented. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in higher positions they really should not be in, but promotion is often whether you are liked by the management higher up or not. As an example, a voluntary redundancy which was supposed to target a few staff and would have worked if targeted at the top and middle heavy grades, turned into more lower end administration and lecturers leaving, halving the administration team in my area, while keeping the same amount of managers. At least one of those managers should have been let go for not being able to actually manage, but the management team should have been halved too. And this is the major problem, they have the same amount of managers and a now much bigger HR, with less, lower grade staff to manage. Management is top heavy and too wide, but to cope with this they generally got rid of staff at the lower end. It does not take a genius to work out that less staff can do less work and the lower grades do more work than higher grades - ie you could employ roughly 2 grade 3s (admin) for the same as a grade 5(lowest management grade), but the 2 grade 3s would be able to do 2 times the amount of work. It gets worse the higher grade you keep. So they have a lower staffing numbers, but the costs for this amount of staff have not lowered by a large amount. This has not changed since I left and staffing levels are still not correct and hurting the performance of this university All this has lead to the university crashing in the league tables, but as usual, higher management is taking the high pay and denying responsibility.

Continue reading
  4. "Students helping Students"

4.0
    Current Intern - Student Demonstrator

I have been working at Edinburgh Napier University for less than a year

Pros

Good pay. Understanding that we don't know the entirety of the subject material; we just performed better than average and are good at explaining what we know to our peers.

Cons

No accountability; it goes to say that some demonstrators don't know anything at all and yet still have the jobs. Was asked to develop learning material as a student contributor, but afterwards the lecturer did not know how to use the learning material I created so it was thrown out. Lecturers also need a minimum knowledge criteria to teach all facets of a class or those facets should be removed.

5. "Student"

Student in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Edinburgh Napier University

Pros

Safe environment were everyone tries help each other.

Cons

Bad organisation between lectures, classes overlapping themselves and taking off classes you would like to do.

6. "Student"

Current Employee - Student Ambassador in Edinburgh, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Edinburgh Napier University part-time for less than a year

Pros

Organization, Infrastructure, Library, Equipment, Personal development, Help

Cons

Lectures, Slides, Material, could be more up to date, more carefull

Continue reading
  7. "Chaotic work environment"

Former Contractor - Demonstrator in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Edinburgh Napier University for less than a year

Pros

Employees are helpful and friendly. Most teachers are very knowledgeable in their respective fields and will give you exactly the answers you need.

Cons

The complete lack of communication between teachers working within the same module means often nobody will know exactly what's going on. Some teachers lack the skills to teach, be it missing knowledge in the subject they lectures in, missing verbal English skills and so forth.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews