Elastic Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jun 16, 2020

Found 17 of over 308 reviews

4.2
Elastic Founder and CEO Shay Banon
Shay Banon
Pros
  • "I wasn't a huge participant in the open-source world before joining Elastic, but I've really enjoyed getting more involved(in 24 reviews)

• "The work-life balance at Elastic is what you make of it(in 17 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Their hope is the open source model and its low entry price is going to drive enough potential demand for up-selling later to generate revenue(in 8 reviews)

• "Distributed company means email/slacks come in at all hours(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing people make the most amazing company!

Jun 16, 2020 - Senior Product Marketing Engineer in Miami, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Openness: while some companies have "policies" Elastic has a "culture" of encouraging their employees to be themselves...come as you are! In the times: Elastic´s products and solutions are going to take companies to the next level, now and well into the future. It is a very relevant company, with exceptional offerings, supported by a ton of really intelligent people. The skies the limit: Whatever you can dream can, I am sure, be integrated somehow within Elastic. Work life balance: Elastic provide ample opportunities to enrich your personal life, such as offering paid time off to volunteer, plenty of PTO and encourages people to take time off in the middle of the day, if needed, to get some fresh air. Working remotely, for most, is also an excellent opportunity to spend more time with family, though also having more time to be productive...all while reducing the traffic congestion others must endure on a daily basis...win-win-win.

Cons

I have none at all.

20 people found this review helpful

VP, Global HR

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at Elastic. We do agree that having a good culture from within will translate to a safe environment for our people to come as you are. It is a place that we can come together in different strengths and abilities to build diverse teams in a distributed company.

2. 5.0

Great company

Apr 20, 2020 - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits for the US: - HSA contributions by employer almost to the contribution limits - Fantastic health, dental, and eye care plan - Generous 401K match program taht does dollar-to-dollar match up to 6% - Space-time program that allows you time to learn/pick up a new relevant skill - Distributed remote work force so great work life balance - Everyone really friendly and helpful

Cons

- Distributed company so you'll have to juggle a bit of timezone magic but then again, your work schedule is as flexible as it can be

23 people found this review helpful

VP, Global HR

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Elastic. We’re very proud of our distributed work environment, particularly in engineering. Being distributed across the globe makes our teams diverse with different ideas, people and cultures. We empower our employees to work their own schedule, giving more flexibility without having to work to the set 9-5 hours.

3. What people are saying about Elastic

Join the conversation on

Tech

33.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-integrated-Reviews&utm_term=Elastic~751551
      Join the conversation on
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Top class for employee well-being, with a little more business structure, would be phenomenal all round.

May 31, 2020 - SDR in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great culture. Incredible focus on well-being of employees. - Encourages creative thinking, no need to micro manage. - Focus on work-life balance is great. - Fair wage. -Incredible team. Lovely office environment. -Very future oriented company focus. Leading product and rapid growth of features.

Cons

- Lack of clear career progression/opportunities. - Lack of corporate structure/communication. - Not much sales training provided in a traditional sense.

2 people found this review helpful

VP, Global HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your experience working at Elastic; it's great to have you here! Whilst encouraging to see that Elastic has many positive for you, we are always looking for feedback on how we can make things even better for our employees. We are working hard on ensuring we have the right people and systems in place moving forward, to help us as we grow and evolve as a business.

5. 5.0

Best company I have _ever_ worked for

Mar 5, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love this company so much. The distributed nature allows you the flexibility to live you life or as they say "be home for diner". The mentality of the company is low stress while still maintaining a commitment to delivering an incredible product. As a product, we cannot easily have a continuous deployment where we can just push new code to fix break changes, and everyone has the latest patched version. As a result, We have the concept of a "train" release, meaning the train is going to leave the station on time and if your code is ready to go, perfect. But if you're pushing to get your code in, that usually goes hand-in-hand with bugs and errors. So at Elastic, we strive to make the best improvements to our products but try not to sacrifice quality. I have never seen this forward-thinking mentality at any other company One of my favorite thing about this company in Shay! I love listening to him talk about the company because he describes what went through his head to make each decision, it's incredible. He is one of those people that doesn't jump to an opinion on something until he has all the facts and has actually taken the time to think about all the circumstances at play. He knows how much power his voice caries, particularly from a code perspective, and will sometimes take a back seat to let the talented developers come to a solution on their own, without his influence. He genuinely cares about all Elasticians and is constantly improving the culture of the company to be more inclusive and more enjoyable. Also, he is just a down to earth guy that you would bump into on the train and have a great conversation with, never knowing he was the CEO of a company. The work-life balance at Elastic is what you make of it. The distributed team makes for a lot of flexibility and a lot less structure, in terms of time. I have been known to work late some days as I am already home and one hour leads to 2 or 3 past when I should have stopped for the day. So in a way, you make your own balance and it is important to have the self-discipline to stop at a reasonable time. Another thing I love is the people. I have never met a more jovial and supportive group of people in my career. On top of that you oftentimes, work with people all over the country from Italy, Germany, Switzerland and more. When people first join the company they go through an in-person orientation of sorts and you learn about how the company started and how it has progressed into what it is today. You learn about all of the facets of the company from engineering to support. And as I sat there and listened I was AMAZED at how this company and the leadership, have iterated on things that were not working in the past and found a "secret sauce" for how they do what they do. I think one thing that is on everyone's mind is the TC. At Elastic I feel so privileged to work at such an amazing company, I would take less money to work for this company then they are paying me. That said I think the TC is above the industry average. There are tradeoffs certainly tradeoff in TC with working for a remote company but I choose elastic over Amazon and many others and have never looked back. Having friends from Dropbox, Netflix, Google their compensation is often better, particularly with the equity, but several of them now want to work for Elastic after they hear me constantly praise the company. I could write more but I'll stop here.

Cons

I have been with Elastic almost a year now and I am struggling to come up with any negatives. I think the only negative was during the interview process which was about 2 weeks between responses seemed excessive but at the time I was unaware they were a distributed company, so I cut them some slack on that. But overall we could be better at response punctuality during interviews. There is also sometimes a lot of change, moving teams around to facilitate a given initiative in the short-term while we hire people to fill the gaps for the long-term. It is a smart tactic to get things done but can be somewhat taxing on the developers.

21 people found this review helpful

VP, Global HR

Thank you so much for sharing such great and positive feedback! Our Source Code is at the heart of the Elastic culture and it is super important to us that we can all live by those values as a company. Being a distributed by design work environment, is something we work hard to achieve success and awesome to hear that it is working so effectively for you. Great to have you as part of the Elastic family!

6. 5.0

Yes, It's all True!

Aug 7, 2019 - Recruiting Coordinator in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing coworkers. Thoughtful, caring, honest, intelligent go-getters all around. - Nearly endless opportunities to learn and grow. - Diversity and inclusion are taken VERY seriously. You can be you. - Company values allow for excellent work/life balance. Meditation, anyone? - Incredible benefits and perks. - Time off is encouraged. - CEO and Founder is truly inspiring.

Cons

Distributed life can be taxing if you're a workaholic, so learn to set boundaries. This is a fast-paced change-intensive company; buckle up. If you're having trouble, it might be time to re-read "Who moved my cheese".

13 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

Jun 28, 2019 - Principal Support Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked remotely for almost 20 years now, and Elastic is by far the best company for remote employees I've ever seen. They do a great job of keeping everybody connected and feeling involved. The support organization is also appreciated by the development team in a way I rarely see at other companies. It's a very inclusive environment, and everybody seems happy to be there. Work/Life balance is very good.

Cons

It's a lot of work. This wasn't a surprise going into it, but it's not a place where you can just coast and get by.

6 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company- Unless You Are A Women with Career Aspirations

May 3, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits Good overall work environment Amazing people Great products Very good work/life balance (for most)

Cons

Lot of talk about culture and I was and very early employee who saw the culture change quite a bit. I think things changed quite a bit once Shay became CEO. It used to be that employees where allowed to speak out without consequences. In my opinion, it's turned into a very autocratic culture. That's the main reason I left. I do recommend the company for most people as overall, it's a great company. Amazing people and team. However, I can't say the say the same if you are a woman (I'm a man) . I saw many many women directors pushed out of the company, meanwhile there is tons of talk about diversity. I find this very hypocritical. And, where are the Women Execs- it's a total mens club sadly. Recently they did add a woman to the BOD- and good for that. But my advice is if you are a women expecting to grow your career, there are much better places. Maybe that will change.

37 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Great company for senior developers

May 2, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Tel Aviv-Yafo
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The future of employment. A truly distributed company. - An actual work life balance - You get to choose your own tasks - Flexible career path and personal development - Decent amount of travel -

Cons

- Code is often imperfect - mix of technologies and migrations in motion all the time - With so many great developers, things tend to get over architectured - Very rapid growth is not easy

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great environment

Mar 25, 2019 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome market awareness Great work/life balance Impressive CEO Management team all "pitches in" when requested by field

Cons

Company growth expectations cut down on the territory

5 people found this review helpful
    11. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Software Engineer

Dec 3, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility Good challenges Inclusivity Friendly colleagues Amazing work/life balance

Cons

So far I have not encountered any cons

Be the first to find this review helpful
    Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews