Elephant Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Elephant Insurance Reviews

Updated Dec 2, 2019

3.1
Elephant Insurance CEO Alberto Schiavon (no image)
Alberto Schiavon
Pros
  • "Casual dress code, lots of fun activities, great potential for career growth, fun environment, great benefits, 22 days of PTO a year even as a new hire(in 11 reviews)

• "The fun environment is cool, we have regular fun month activities, there is a game room, and sometimes free food(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "The top reasons many people leave jobs are because of management and sadly this applies to Elephant(in 10 reviews)

• "I don’t enjoy being treated like a child in a call center(in 7 reviews)

1. "Elephant Sees Qualities Other Than Just Experience"

Current Employee - Claims Manager

I have been working at Elephant Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Upward mobility -Working with genuinely good people -Interesting work -Fun environment -Casual dress code -Good coffee -Pay you to train you to get your adjuster’s license -PTO from day one -Open communication about the functioning/direction of the company -Fun work events and outings, lots of company picnics and happy hours, etc.

Cons

Can be a bit disorganized Training could use some improvement Can get a little catty Pay is a little low

Elephant Insurance2019-12-03
  2. "Growing company"

Current Employee - Claims Specialist

I have been working at Elephant Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast-paced, growing, opportunities for advancement

Cons

Salaries below industry-standard, benefits are just ok.

Elephant Insurance2019-12-03
  3. "Many Drivers, One Car"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Elephant Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wide range of positions available, good health benefits

Cons

In transition from small company to medium, not currently profitable, IT department is pursuing too many technologies at the same time

Advice to Management

A position equivalent to CIO is required. Currently, the IT department has too many solutions (most of which are poorly documented) and there is little unity of direction. Make the culture of the company reflect the expectations. If a hard working rubber band of a worker is what is required, don't have all the fun activities that send mixed messages.

Elephant Insurance2019-11-21
  4. "Like being in middle school"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Glen Allen, VA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Elephant Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

PTO from the very beginning

Cons

Everything made me feel like I was in middle school - and that was just to get through training! Outside of training it gets worse. Won't let you take a bathroom break outside of your 15 mins breaks, star awards for perfect attendance, etc

Advice to Management

Hire managers that actually have experience and can help their associates instead of being just as lost as they are.

Elephant Insurance2019-07-30
  5. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Elephant Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management cares including the senior leadership group! HR is approachable unlike other places Casual environment CEO is friendly and makes times for everyone Benefits are solid

Cons

Salaries aren't competitive Lack of technical training

Advice to Management

Invest in staff... compensation and training!

Elephant Insurance2019-04-04
  6. "Good Culture - Moving in the Right direction"

I have been working at Elephant Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really great leadership under Alberto Lots of moves toward efficiency and promoting the customer Great people - most managers and HR care about staff Lots of internal promotions and progressions Really like all the wellness/benefit focused events

Cons

Review of pay to be at industry-standard or acknowledge if we cannot in all jobs - not specific to any one area

Advice to Management

Keep up the progress forward - remember to rely on knowledge experts and continue to adapt and change BUT be SMART about how you do it and use data to assist with decision making.

Elephant Insurance2019-04-02
  7. "Okay Conakry"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Richmond, VA

I worked at Elephant Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance super chill work environment

Cons

Pay is horrible

Elephant Insurance2019-03-01

"Insurance agent"

I worked at Elephant Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good culture, relaxed atmosphere, pto isn’t bad.

Cons

It seems as if you become an easy target if one manager doesn’t like you. Favoritism runs very high, especially in the sales and service department. If you bring up any matter to HR nothing happens because HR department are good friends with management. It is really unfortunate because there is no safe space. Also, forget talking to your supervisor or manager about personal matters. Everyone will know about it... afterwards. You have plenty of PTO but are restricted to only taking certain days off. You can’t have a weekend off or Mondays or Fridays. If you are 3-5 minutes late, you will be in trouble however management will walk in when they feel fit and will not be held to the same standards. The top reasons many people leave jobs are because of management and sadly this applies to Elephant. Good culture can’t save everything.

Advice to Management

Don’t have your cell phones out around your computer. There is private customer information on there. Practice what your preach and lead by example.

Elephant Insurance2019-03-14

"PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Elephant Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities for growth exist, I've seen a good bit of employees come in and move to other roles which is nice to see The fun environment is cool, we have regular fun month activities, there is a game room, and sometimes free food! Casual dress code is amazing Pay is decent for a call center

Cons

Where do I begin... don't get me wrong, as you see in the pros section, there are some benefits of working with Elephant. It is a unique work environment that allows fun and I appreciate that. However, there is a lot wrong with this company that really makes it an uncomfortable place to work after a while. The company is only now 10 years old and has gone through a rapid growth over the years. A lot of high up... managers are people with no actual experience in their roles other than being promoted from within which is concerning. Growth opportunities are exciting when people are qualified but I am honestly worried about the future of the company given that I feel like none of them really know how to run a company and it seems they are just grasping at straws to figure it out. Most people in HR don't have any HR experience and that is really concerning. I don't feel comfortable bringing anything forward to this department because the people are not qualified and most of them were promoted from within after they had already built friendships with people in other departments. I saw mentioned in another comment that information in HR gets leaked out and from what I have seen this is true! Anything you tell to HR will get to one of these people and will be leaked out because they have personal friendships with other members of staff around the business that are not ethical. Peoples personal business gets around and confidential information gets leaked all the time. I really think the company needs to look into changing this so they can be more successful because right now myself and others do not feel comfortable talking to people that will absolutely gossip about their personal issues or about the issues they've reported. Elephant needs to look into hiring actual HR professionals to take over so people feel comfortable, this is really unlike anything else i've seen in any company. Leadership promotions are really only given based on who you are friends with in operations and it's sad to see. It's very disheartening for someone like me who works hard and gets no where. I don't think I will ever get the time of day for a promotion. I do not believe the department leaders know how to be unbiased, it's all about who they were friends with when they were coming up through the ranks. Not about who actually does the best and works the hardest. Most of the managers in customer service are highly unprofessional and are only there because they are friends with someone at the top. Being friends wouldn't be an issue if managers knew how to draw a line. Sadly, that line isn't there and "leaders" get away with almost anything! They can sit on their phones at their desks, which is against PCI compliance and something agents always get yelled at for, and it's ok for them. There was person that was always on his phone and nasty with customers, they kept him around for so long, unreal! There are so many things like that scenario that we see an hear but gets covered up from higher ups. The leadership team in operations only shows what they want you to see and not what actually goes on in the day to day that the rest of us see. The higher ups allow things like this to go on, allows leadership to be lazy, and also allows them to continue that same behavior downward. The leadership teams are also close personal friends with some agents. I've seen that certain agents can get off the phones/take more breaks than others, get given opportunities for development, and get to pretty much get away with what they want too while the rest of the department is doing their work and getting in trouble for things that their friends get away with, like extreme attendance issues. On top of that, the people that they are friends with aren't even considered the best, yet they get this special treatment that goes unquestioned because of who they are in cahoots with. In order to be better for the future, Elephant should consider moving good leaders around so this mess doesn't happen or at least hire some professional leaders externally to turn this place around. CS and Sales are just afraid to make changes in leadership for some reason but it is going to be necessary if Elephant wants to grow. I also hear "leaders" gossiping on the floor about agents and their business which makes me uncomfortable. How can I trust them with anything? Communication is terrible and the training is a mess! Insurance is super complex and the rules that need to be followed need to be more simple but training makes this hard for us to learn and to do our jobs well. All of the answers I get are different from different people and training really seems to have no idea what is going on. The team again is led by someone who has a relationship with a higher up, See a theme? The team seems very inflexible and unorganized and it makes our jobs much harder. I wish the company would take this seriously and actually make changes for the better and not who knows who. The claims department needs a lot of work too! A lot of the higher ups were booted out and we all thought claims would get better but it hasn't. The leaders in claims do not seem to care about customer experience from what I hear from my friends down there. We've all had a chance to hear claims calls and hear horror stories about the process. This definitely needs to be fixed for the company to be better. There is only so much sales and service can do to make the experience good before it goes down to claims and they just don't care anymore. They have so many files to work and never enough people that they use that as an excuse to give crappy service, you wouldn't believe the horror stories . Lots of people I talk to down there are very unhappy, we need some drastic change.

Advice to Management

Bring qualified leaders into the company that know the US insurance business Hire externally for HR, too many internal people who gossip in the department and it's really uncomfortable. HR should also take all reported matters seriously. I know a ton of people who reported an old leader for all kinds of terrible things that happened. These were all swept under the rug for a good year before the leader was finally... fired. When they were, we were told to come forward about stuff to stop things from happening, but people did come forward and HR did nothing. Friends of mine are traumatized from that entire experience and have lost faith in Elephant. Consider moving managers and tms to teams/departments where they are not in the direct line of favoritism. I really feel uncomfortable at work because of what I see and hear on the daily from our leaders, favoritism and professionalism need to be fixed. Fix the communication and hire professional trainers to train others on the business. Our training dept is a joke! Allow a truly anonymous outlet for feedback like this internally. A lot of us are discussing things like this but no one wants their email or name attached to the feedback because there will be retaliation or different treatment after coming forward and no one cares. I know there is a "no retaliation policy" but I hear our leaders complaining about people that bring things forward and gossiping about it. You would have a better grasp to what is going on if you allowed us to leave anonymous feedback that isn't on an app like happyforce. I know I will get an auto response after this to email the communications email but I and others are not going to reach out to this email. This does nothing for us, do us a favor by taking action. I am not interested in directly speaking with HR but myself and others would be ok to drop a line to let them know what is going on if they actually care to fix it. Make our claims dept more customer focused. Consider the changes mentioned above, these are real issues that people will try to deny but they are there. I def want things to get better so I feel comfortable at work again.

Elephant Insurance2019-03-15

"Where is the confidentiality?"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Elephant Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love our company meetings and our annual awards party! I enjoy learning from the leaders in the UK. My salary is sufficient. I have a good work/life balance to spend time with my family. I believe in our mission and want to see Elephant succeed.

Cons

My main concern, as many have mentioned, is that the company needs to investigate their people services department. I've overheard them, along with colleagues, on multiple occasions jokingly discussing personal employee matters among themselves. HR sets the bar for an organisation, if they cannot be trusted that is a problem. Several of the habitual offenders are leaders within the department. I'm fearful of raising... any concerns to HR for fear of it being spread throughout the organisation. The department has had several major changes in senior leaders which has lead to it's demise. This behaviour does not represent our culture or values.

Advice to Management

I'd like for someone to take my concerns seriously. Overall, I love working at Elephant but our foundation is flawed and trust has been lost.

Elephant Insurance2019-02-06