Ellwood Atfield Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 13 November 2018

4.9
Ben Atfield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A place to be rewarded, stimulated and engaged..."

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Ellwood Atfield part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a company where everyone is both interesting – with diverse experience, opinions and approaches – and genuinely interested in the work. You would think this was a given in a specialist recruitment firm but, having moved from one of our main competitors, I’ve been surprised and delighted by the amount of care and focus on quality that all my colleagues put into their work.

The company’s founders are still completely engaged and active in the ‘day job’, whether it’s delivering on search remits, leading pitches for new business or networking in the Communications community – in fact Gavin Ellwood has just been elected Master of the Company of Public Relations Practitioners.

This is a company on an upward trajectory. We know we can gain more market share and deliver excellent service to more clients, and there’s a strong sense of common purpose around that.

Last but not least, the basic pay and commission structure are excellent, and annual targets are set at an achievable level, with the reward of ‘super commission’ for exceeding target.

Cons

Recruitment can be an unpredictable and frustrating business wherever you work, and we’re not immune to the highs and lows at EA. This needs careful consideration if you’re thinking of starting a career in recruitment.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people so we continue to delight our clients!

2. "An excellent place to work"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Ellwood Atfield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great office atmosphere, very friendly and collaborative, everyone has time to speak with each other, not very hierarchical
    - Good earning potential- if you work hard enough, you'll hit your annual target
    - Ellwood Atfield have an excellent reputation in the industry, with a genuinely exceptional knowledge base
    - Not a hardy sales environment
    - Hours are good (9-5.30) for a recruitment firm, they are also very accommodating if you have children
    - Encouraged to spend money on clients and have a good work phone
    - They only hire great people
    - Excellent basic salary

Cons

- The work-style isnt 100% flexible yet, and as a result people tend to do 9-5.30. If they went fully flexible I think they'd get more work out of their employees
    - They feel slightly understaffed so whilst you are almost always busy recruiting, it deters away from building your own pipeline and business
    - The wall in between the two sides of the office actually does create a bit of a divide
    - Not everyone gets a work laptop, I probably would have done some work from home in the evenings if I did!
    - Not a great framework to allow people to grow
    - No receptionist

Advice to Management

Encourage more flexible working, provide an ambitious framework for people to grow

"Highly supportive and ambitious for consultants to succeed"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Ellwood Atfield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great reputation in their sector;
    Brilliant thought leadership and other high-profile events for clients. The Political Cartoon Awards gets over 500 clients and candidates;
    Very focused on quality of service to clients and potential candidates;
    Smart, friendly, down-to-earth consultants - no office politics to speak of.
    Great regular benefits package and lots of fun random ad hoc ones too!
    Mature approach to flexible working and working from home.

Cons

None that really come to mind

4. "We need a sixth star"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Ellwood Atfield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people. We have a great team; knowledgeable, challenging, genuine, and competitive but not politically charged.
    - Amazing clients. We work with organisations that really get the communications and public affairs thing and we get to see how our hires have a genuine impact on the organisations they join. On top of this we play a small (but significant) part in helping people make the moves that define their careers.
    - The commission structure is as fair and as good as you'll find in this space. I could pretend that it's all about the work but this is recruitment and it matters!
    - Transparency of leadership. We're all involved in the business and the overall strategy and forward planning. Of course the leadership team have a greater degree of involvement in strategy but input from the rest of the team is genuinely valued.
    - The wider benefits package is also excellent, particularly for a recruitment firm. On top of this we have a healthy cycle of team days/nights out and all the soft benefits you might expect from a business that cares about its people.

Cons

- "The Ellwood Atfield stone". It's a real thing, brought about largely by biscuits, wine and cheese. We're a bunch of foodies and it can be challenging to shift the weight when surrounded by enablers. We do have a fruit bowl but it's often supplanted by the biscuit plate or the pastries left over from the numerous events we host.
    - We work in a beautiful listed building in the heart of Westminster. 99% of the time that is a wonderful thing but it can make for some hot summer days (particularly this year). Fortunately there are plenty of desk fans to go around.
    - We do like an internal meeting.

Advice to Management

- Fewer internal meetings.
    - Keep doing what you are doing.

5. "Working on the most desirable and exciting brands in a really supportive environment"

I have been working at Ellwood Atfield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Realistic achievable goals, non-KPI driven, consultants genuinely hit billing targets
    - Great managers - you get given autonomy and trust to build/shape your own practice
    - Excellent established network which means BD is never about cold calling. At least 80% of the work is through key clients/contacts.
    - Incredibly supportive team and a fun environment - plenty of team rewards such as Friday lunches, surprise summer parties, company Paris trip and celebratory drinks/food in the EA gallery

Cons

Not a micromanaging environment which means consultants will need to be self-motivated and excellent at time management

Advice to Management

Don't change the management style - it's excellent right now.

"The most enjoyable job I've ever had!"

I have been working at Ellwood Atfield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ellwood Atfield is a delightful place to work and has a nourishing environment with lots of career progression. Unlike other recruitment firms, it is not KPI driven and is completely integrated within the communications and public affairs industry. Ellwood Atfield has a fantastic reputation and the roles and people we get to meet and network with are brilliant to work with.

We host a number of events such as the Political Cartoon of the Year Awards which are unlike any other in the business and are a super way of us meeting new people and expanding our network.

One of the best things about working at Ellwood Atfield is the environment and the people that work there, we work together as one team and it is a very supportive and collaborative culture. More than that, everyone that works here, is very passionate about what we do and works extremely hard to ensure we are the best headhunters in the business.

Cons

There really aren't any. I have never felt like I haven't wanted to come to work and genuinely it's a lovely place to work.

Advice to Management

Another trip to Paris soon please?

7. "Team orientated appraoch to headhunting in communications"

I have been working at Ellwood Atfield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cordial working enviroment, with a really good team dynamic
    Fantastic compensation scheme
    Cake on birthdays
    Trips to Paris for the WHOLE company (not just high achievers)
    Sushi Fridays - 4pm drinks
    A really proactive and accomodating support team

Cons

No air con, and tempromental heating
    *pro - ice-cream on hot days

8. "marketing executive"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Executive in London, England

I have been working at Ellwood Atfield (Less than a year)

Pros

Very enthusiastic and supportive teams, across both support and consultant functions.
    Generous pay and benefits.

Cons

We've only been to Paris once so far this year to celebrate.

9. "An amazing place to work"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Ellwood Atfield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A highly professional consultancy with genuinely interested and knowledgeable colleagues
    - Very collaborative and naturally sociable
    - Literally every consultant operates with success to achieve their goals
    - Non hierarchical

Cons

- We don't have a reception which makes our waiting area slightly confusing for some visitors

Ellwood Atfield Response

3 May 2018 – Senior Communications and Events Executive

Thanks so much for your comments - you'll be pleased to know we now have signage directing visitors to our waiting area (I know we are).

10. "Building a career"

Current Employee - Board Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Board Director in London, England

I have been working at Ellwood Atfield full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In 2010 I made a jump in the dark to move from being a practitioner of government affairs and communications to joining EA as a recruiter. Due to the investment in the sector EA was the only firm that had the standing of interest. My faith has paid off due to the unique culture and people leading and working for the business.

Three things EA is (particularly) good at:
    • Teaching the business – I have learnt everything about recruitment and headhunting during my time at EA where I started as a recruiter. We invest in ensuring that people learn on the job, through specific training sessions and external courses. It means that we are confident that our consultants are aware of industry best practice.
    • Caring about nuances – from the dedicated founders and exceptionally capable colleagues I have learnt recruitment. We care about the details – what is the best way to get a candidate excited about a role and the kindest way to disengage them? How do we present ourselves to communications in a way that they appreciate? What is the best way to understand the needs of our client? By continuing to ask questions we make ourselves better.
    • Space to help – it is really important from me to be able to set up partnerships and hold events with interesting people that helps their careers. I founded our CSR link with the Speakers Internship Programme a cross-party initiative that has opened up Parliamentary internships to people who have always wanted to work in politics but haven’t had the opportunity. The scheme is now in it’s sixth year of EA colleagues mentoring the interns to help them make the most of their experience to accelerate their careers. I also run programmes to support women in communications and government affairs make the very most out of their positions as leaders to accelerate an improved gender balance at the top of the profession.

Cons

There are A LOT of ideas sent around and LOTS OF support for them, however unless you are willing to invest your own time in making something happen it is going to go in to the pile of nice to do.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path to growth and investment in talented individuals. We have the right strategy and an energy from the team to make it happen.