Elsevier Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 19 Feb 2020

3.6
Elsevier CEO Kumsal Bayazit
Kumsal Bayazit
Pros
  • "Work-life balance is ideal & fully supported by the company(in 138 reviews)

• "Work/life balance and flexible work environments are hard to beat(in 73 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "part of a very big wheel"

4.0
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Elsevier

Pros

management support if you get a good one

Cons

upper management arrogance if you get a bad onr

2. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software in London, England

I have been working at Elsevier full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance Decent amount of holidays Flexibility Able to work remotely Good budget for training and conferences Well stocked kitchen Beer o'clock/pub quiz Fridays

Cons

Work is not very interesting or new Experience/culture differs a lot depending on which area of Elsevier you are designated, which office you are based Feels like the business puts money over customers Upper management is all talk and no action over diversity/inclusivity events Pay increases/promotions/bonuses are only offered when you threaten to leave

Elsevier Response

Elsevier Rep

Thanks for your review. Our employees do meaningful and challenging work. However, employees are encouraged to discuss their work aspirations through career development conversations with their managers. We're committed to a diverse workforce and an environment that respects individuals and their contributions. We offer a competitive salary and great benefits package.

"Decent Benefits, but doesn't value people"

Former Employee - Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Elsevier full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are decent when compared with other companies. Time off was generous.

Cons

Poor communication from upper management to middle management. Continual bickering within product teams. Company says they want to value the people, but they show everyday they don't by their actions and turning away when any type of conflict arise.

Continue reading

"Miserable work, great co-workers"

Current Employee - Account Support

I have been working at Elsevier full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the people are great. There are activities sometimes, and food. There's a Foosball table to distract people.

Cons

Poor upper management decisions from Amsterdam. Regular breakdown in communication between departments. No recognition or appreciation for huge workload. Little to no training across at least two separate systems. Inefficient workflow, communication, and cooperation between departments. Unreasonable expectations from sales, who have no idea how any processes actually work, and always get their way. The job's only saving grace were the fellow sufferers on the account support team because the pay wasn't worth it.

"For the detailed oriented person"

Current Employee - Account Support Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Elsevier full-time

Pros

Vacation time and great people

Cons

Huge disconnect between upper management and those with boots on the ground.

6. "Old-fashioned, conservative and dull"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main

I worked at Elsevier full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good amount of holidays (in Germany) - Remote work (if manager approves)

Cons

- Lack of gender equality and inclusion - Managers constantly abusing their power and position - Lack of team spirit - Boring and cold environment - Processes and protocols are long, extensive and old-fashioned - Not modern, not up-to-date - Constant underestimation of employees by upper management - Upper management ignores problems and focuses only on maintaining things as they are - Budget for travel & learn very restricted - Not attractive for young people - Titles and years of experience are more important than ideas and motivation

Continue reading
  7. "Marketing at Elsevier"

I have been working at Elsevier full-time

Pros

Work/Life Balance - flexibility to work from home, flexible working hours Good 401K Lateral movements are easier to come by and encouraged (though, see cons for upward movement)

Cons

Upper Management does not take career development or professional growth seriously - upward movement basically happens by luck.

Elsevier Response

Elsevier Rep

Thank you for your review. As an organization, we constantly strive to provide innovative learning and development opportunities for our employees. We also work with them to create an inclusive culture that enables a high-performing and engaged workforce. You must have noticed that we are currently rolling out various initiatives to further help develop our workforce. We encourage our employees globally to use various channels, tools and learning resources we made available to them to drive ongoing career development discussions with their managers and upskill for the future.

"Stable Company with a lot of talent."

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Acquisitions Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Elsevier full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable company that pays attention to its expenses and income. Constantly looking at the future and how to adapt content. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Very large size makes company impersonal at times. Upper management is disconnected from the day-to-day operations. Too many meetings.

"Regional Sales"

1.0

I worked at Elsevier full-time

Pros

Quarterly bonus, insurance, vacation, great smart co-workers

Cons

Terrible upper management , clueless in leadership, unrealistic goals, outdated software

"Exceptional Content with Poor Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Elsevier full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent content, trusted brand, and experienced editorial staff.

Cons

Much of Upper Management is out of touch with their employees, and customer markets. They want to apply business rules from their MBAs, without deep knowledge of variances need: i.e. access models, pricing, and contracts, to all of the global customer markets. In final few years, I saw incompetence and underperformance, as well as disrespect, tolerated. Customer experience and satisfaction are no longer high priority.

Found 27 reviews