Emerald Technology Recruitment Reviews

Updated 24 Jul 2019

3.3
Emerald Technology Recruitment Managing Director Mike Jones (no image)
Mike Jones

"Embracing change"

Current Employee - Learning and Development Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Emerald Technology Recruitment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very hands on Directors that will help win business and help if you ask Everyone in the business embraces change Directors are very open to being challenged and receiving feedback Pretty cool offices BD team have tonnes of potential Lots of potential - some strong minded people in the first 2-3 years of their careers Great opportunity to be successful if someone can work with the Business Development team whilst developing their own business at the same time. Clear career path based on ability not time with the business. Lots of support offered if someone is struggling. only seen 3 people move on since I started 11 months ago - out of 50+ globally that's good! People have made me feel welcome Heard they have a 7-7 culture before I started but this is not the case Always had very honest feedback on my ideas and constructive - the people are passionate about making the company the best it can be. People help each other - especially new people. Nice things like - brekkie on a Friday, champagne raffles, music playing out of core working times etc... its the little things that matter - and a ping pong table

Cons

I could still do more and more internal upskilling & training - guess you can never do enough Emerald and the consultants must encourage & embrace 270/360 recruitment Strong & proven process behind Market mapping ahead of approaches - while I think this is a positive, some "maverick" recruiters may not suit this.

Continue reading
  2. "No integrity from the Top down coupled with a bullying culture"

Former Employee - Consultant in Birmingham, England

I worked at Emerald Technology Recruitment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At the very beginning - the training was good and you will get chance to work with good Tech Companies.

Cons

If your thinking about joining this company "Then Don't" - The senior management have zero integrity, coupled with a huge favouritism problem which runs deep throughout the business, as well as the international offices. I have spent well over three years with this organisation and witnessed first hand bullying on a staggering scale, and some management even encouraging the culture of making others feel very uncomfortable in the work place. Emerald expects you to be working every hour of the day, mapping in your own time and then will verbally whip you to be on the phone all day like an animal. You will quickly find out that the "few favourites" in the office will be award all the best an most engaged search projects to work, while others who are not part of the "click" will be handed dreadful and heavily contingent projects which have very little chance of placing, they will then follow this up with very aggressive performance management techniques to either make you leave or fire you - They will also then keep your commission after this process - I have witnessed many people be fired in a 3 year period - Emerald is the definition of a sack happy company - My advice before joining this organisation is to find people who have previously worked there and they will open your eyes just how bad the place really is. Emerald Consistently force people to fill out employee surveys which everyone is terrified to say how they really feel, so just say what senior management want to hear for an easier life - Seriously don't go join here.

Continue reading

"Deep lack of trust and belief in employees"

2.0
    Current Employee - Consultant in Birmingham, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Emerald Technology Recruitment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company says the right things in regards to change and improving the business, the office is convenient and you get to work with some good brands.

Cons

As listed in my title, the senior leadership team talk a great talk, but when it comes down to the bare bones of it all they struggle to truly empower employees to achieve and grow. They moan that everyone acts like kids, but equally, they talk to you like you're 8 years old and then they are confused as to why there is very little respect for them. You must work there way or no way... They forget that people have their own strengths and achieve results in lots of different ways, it screams of a factory line, don't think just look where we point and do. Favouritism is rife within the business, they will, of course, deny this. But if they like you they will give you "Golden Tickets" to help you succeed, if they don't like you they will give you jobs that 4 other people have failed on and watch you struggle. They will do this until they can fire you. They have a misplaced arrogance about being the "best search company in the market" but realistically a 5-minute google search will show you there are a lot of better search companies who have been around half the time. You must be doing something wrong if in 5/6/7 years they have achieved what you haven't in 19.

March 11, 2019Operations Manager

Thank you for your review - Its a real shame that should you still be working in our Birmingham office that you felt you couldn't talk to me about these rather than turning to glass door. I'm keen to address a few points - Emerald are embarking on an exciting change I feel watching our consultants start to embrace a 360 recruitment model means they have more autonomy than ever and the stage to show their potential. We are in the rare position where our consultant get lots of projects passed to them from Directors and our BD team - with these come delivery deadlines and with the senior nature of what we do our clients have a " high bar " for talent. 2018 saw our best year ever, my engagement survey records some great results as below: - 93% of our people feel they can learn and develop at emerald - 98% feel someone encourages their development - 93% feel their manager cares about them - our work force feel they have a good work-life balance - 89% of our people feel truly valued at work - 89% would refer someone to work here. While we are still focused on improving the above - I'm confident this shows we are moving in a positive direction. As I say... a real shame that you feel you can't turn to me, your manager or a colleague. I'm sorry you feel this way and hope some of the statistics above reassure you that most of our people are happy and valued. I would be great to have the opportunity to help you feel this way too. Life is too short to be this unhappy at your place of work Thanks Stew Wilson - L&D manager

"Great place to work - Great Training, Support, Customers and Earning Potential"

Current Employee - Consultant in Birmingham, England

Pros

I have worked at Emerald Technology for over 3 years and everything that was discussed with me at interview has been delivered. I have been able to build my technical knowledge, a customer base across multiple sectors, as well as have opportunity to progress in my career and increase my earning potential. I have received huge support from Directors, Managers and Team Leaders on projects which has included guidance on executive search and developing best practice as well as support on closing out difficult searches. The culture is fun and inclusive, with lots of incentives set to drive performance and rewards. Emerald has also allowed me to achieve a number of personal goals due to the support and earning potential on offer. I have seen first hand that this organisation is a leader in Executive Search. The feedback I have received face to face with customers has been incredible and we really do offer a process that works, regardless of role, country and technology sector. For individuals that are driven, passionate and willing to work hard this is a fantastic place to work where you get out of it what you put in.

Cons

Whether you have or have not worked in recruitment previously the learning curve can be steep, therefore you must be willing to take on board information and put it into practice. The hours are long, especially at first as you need to embed yourself in the business and learn the internal processes, however this does get easier. If you are willing to put the work and the hours in, you will be successful.

"Delivered on everything!"

Current Employee - Search Consultant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Emerald Technology Recruitment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I joined Emerald 6 years ago and it amazes me how far the company has come in such a short period of time. Everything I wanted to achieve when asked in my interview has been delivered on. I have progressed my career and earnings exponentially since being a part of this amazing business. The company has a great culture, great business plan and a leader who is inspirational and highly competitive. The other two directors equally are driven to see this company grow and achieve greatness with their employees. I truly feel we are at the forefront of what a search consultancy should look like, and we are pioneering what an actual partnership of services should look like for our clients. The brands we work with are also game changers of the tech world, I find some of the reviews on here truly baffling. If you want to earn big and succeed you have to put it in. I know of no other sales business in the planet that operates in any other way. For those that want to have an amazing career path, ownership of a really progressive company and high earnings look no further. With the processes we have in place and our global reach this is an amazing opportunity if you really challenge yourself.

Cons

The learning curve is steep, you have to be highly committed to succeed, driven with a strong resilient core. The hours are tough to begin with but once you're career progresses and the earnings skyrocket it is all worth the journey.

Continue reading

"Full of promises they cant deliver"

Current Employee - Researcher in Birmingham, England

Pros

Had some good people that worked there, most of them have gone now. Select few who have been brainwashed and therefore changed. Good MD

Cons

Where to start? Directors bully people into leaving with no concern for peoples welfare or personal lives. I first hand have seen the tactics they use. The fact that I have the ability to smash the phones is the only reason I still have a job. Promise the idea of development but don't deliver. The new learning and development manager is a great add on, but we had someone like this before who was great and again got rid of them. How will this be different? Would not recommend this as a great place to work at all

October 30, 2017Operations Manager

Thank you for your comment. This review is a little confusing as it mentions you are a current employee but use the wording "had some good people that worked there", an interesting use of past tense. Moving on from this, I would encourage you to speak with our Learning and Development manager about your concerns if you don't feel comfortable speaking with the directors. We feel confident that the way that Emerald are empowering their people with business plans and promotion planning should mean you feel in control of your future rather than feeling like its just your call numbers that are focused on. We very rarely use call figures to manage people, this is only turned to should we feel that confidence needs to be built early in their career. We categorically refute the accusation of bullying and the last thing we want is to bring people into this business and lose them, every new recruit is an investment from us so we want them to be successful, there is no reason we would "bully" them out of the business. Overall I'm concerned that you dislike working at Emerald so much and still work with us, we would encourage you to speak with your manager or the L&D manager so we have the chance to reassure you about the changes happening at Emerald. We thank you for your review and hope you will reach out to someone here at Emerald.

"Where to begin...."

Current Employee - Resourcer in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Emerald Technology Recruitment full-time for more than a year

Pros

City centre location is convenient.

Cons

Joined the business after being bowled over and blown away by what was said and promised in my interview. After a few months though I realised that a lot of what was said and promised was in fact not true or at least greatly exaggerated. The directors convey no trust in any employee and are so ridiculously concerned with their own reputations and misplaced belief that the company is the best in the world that the staff get treated awfully. You are expected to put any life outside of work on hold to ensure that promises made outside of your control are met. if you don't work 10+ hours a day you are made to feel like you are not good enough for the company and should go and work for a lesser organisation, as you clearly are not worth their time. You are expected to dial the phone relentlessly for 6.5/7 hours a day relentlessly if you do anything except grind out endless calls you are publicly scrutinised or as the directors like to say 'Blasted.' Emerald has a process for recruitment that must be followed to the letter, in order to get on you must be a yes man and happy to do the same things day in day out (churn candidates out for the directors) otherwise you are again "blasted"

September 8, 2017Operations Co-ordinator

Thank you for your comments and your compliment that the company can do great things. I'm keen to address and re-assure you on each point of your review. Interviewing - We have adjusted our interview process to help people get to know the company. our final interview is time on the office floor with the chance to ask any questions to anyone on the sales floor. Staff treatment - We truly believe that without our people we are nothing and our people are the true unique selling point vs our competitors. We now have weekly and daily early finish incentives, every Friday we buy breakfast for the workforce and most of all we reward achievement. Work life balance - This is important to us; our standard hours are 8.30 - 5.30 Monday to Friday. We also trust people with access to the offices so they can come and go as they see fit. With our standard hours someone should be able to get their work done - as we work globally there is no doubt going to be times when our people have to go the extra mile and work out of standard hours. We issue company mobile phones to help with that and our senior people have laptops. As any recruitment business there are core work times during the day and we enjoy having a good "buzz" in the office. we drive our people on success and delivering a great service not on call numbers... these tend to be used to have some fun in competitions and incentives. Micro management - We work with our people to encourage them to set their own weekly objectives and ensure they are realistic and achievable. Our leadership team are empowered to help individuals develop and help them understand the stepping stones in the recruitment process. So, micromanagement isn't something we practice at our business. Process: We are passionate about our service to clients and its a key reason why we are the No1 Technology search firm in the world. We are in a service driven business so process represents service. As people progress they can add to this process and work autonomously - we are proud of our Search and Selection process so its vital we recruit people that feel the same. I hope from the above you can see some positive changes and re-assurance that we are doing all we can to keep our people engaged. We have appointed a Learning and Development manager to ensure our people are given every chance to progress and be successful in their time at Emerald. Our learning and Development manager continues to have regular 121 meetings with everyone, so should you actually be one of our current employees please speak with our L&D manager and discuss your frustrations and I feel confident he will help. Thanks again

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

I worked at Emerald Technology Recruitment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastics clients Realistic earnings Exciting account base Good social activies Great office atmosphere Structured Training

Cons

Long hours Very busienss workload Could do wirh more training/staff development.

September 8, 2017Operations Co-ordinator

Thank you for your review and rating We have addressed your concern by appointing a Learning and Development manager. We agree that continuous improvement is important to us and our people. We launch our first training academy this year and everyone will have on-going personal development plans. Thank you again for this review and feel free to pop in for a coffee and say "hi" to the team.

"Great place to work!"

4.0
    Consultant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Emerald Technology Recruitment

Pros

Great training offered from day 1. A growing organisation with lots of progression opportunities. Lots of individual, team and company incentives each week. Earning potential is high!

Cons

Working with people, whether it be the candidates or the clients can be frustrating, however equally rewarding!

August 22, 2016Company Director

Thank you for your review - we're so pleased to hear that you had a good experience with Emerald. We put a great deal of focus on offering progression opportunities and good incentives, as well as good earning potential for our staff. We wish you all the best for your future career.

"Low Base salaries Over egged targets"

Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England

I worked at Emerald Technology Recruitment

Pros

Have a really strong opinion of themselves - bordering on arrogance Have a good MD/CEO who is an excellent recruiter Comission Scheme was good

Cons

Large targets - not convinced on the realism of them No opportunity to work in big accounts as they are hogged Believe they are superior to other consultancies , but they offer just the same service Low base salary - not good payers at entry level

July 13, 2016Company Director

Thank you for your review – we’re pleased to hear that you approve of our MD as an excellent recruiter, and that your feelings on our commission scheme are positive. However, we must stand by our targets, which we believe are realistic and achievable. We also do our utmost to offer a unique, ‘niche’ service to our clients and customers.

Found 24 reviews