There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

"I wonder if the CEO is overpaid?"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY (US)
Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job with benefits

Cons

Another year another 1% raise because "our senior people are overpaid"

Advice to Management

Quit, take your stock options and get lost

Other Employee Reviews for AECOM

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Marketing in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some wonderful, talented colleagues who are passionate about and highly committed to what they do. A great mix of staff from all over the world which brings a range of opinions, cultures and experiences to the working environment.

Cons

As the organisation grew, the positive and proactive mood changed dramatically. A lack of independence and enhanced control from the US has turned the local region into a bureaucratic sheep. Very poor integration strategies with the smaller companies which AECOM purchased, leading to further discord. Very clear that being 'friends' and spending time socially with management was key to longevity and success in this particular office. This was further evidenced by unprofessional, inappropriate and downright unacceptable behaviour in the office by certain key area leaders which went unnoticed and unaddressed due to their close personal relationships with management. As such, no recourse for staff who had issue with this. No career opportunities for the support/administrative services and poor remuneration. Despite working extremely hard, going beyond targets and having a good reputation and support of many staff, my own remuneration, and that of my team, was kept stagnant due to the greed of my manager. A lack of people management training for those leading teams. No accountability in this regard either - in a team where 6 out of 8 team members were turned over in a year, I would have thought some alarm bells might ring and some examination of that team might be worthwhile. Some inexplicable business processes and decisions lead to a number of morale lows throughout my two years there. Such a shame that a company with a large collection of such fantastic and skilled employees turned into a toxic and unhealthy environment for people like myself and others who unfortunately were in the wrong team at the wrong time.

Advice to Management

No advice to management - they should be spilled and refilled with a fresh batch who may still possess ethics, professionalism and unbiased business sense.

"clients are upset and looking to other enginering firms.alot of our expertise has left"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

it is a job and fellow employees are good people , the few that are left

Cons

The company is completely disfunctional. Engineers are expected to do the Accountants' jobs. What the accountants actually do makes no sense, and only makes your life more difficult. It takes a month to get the 6 approvals necessary to install new software on your computer. Internal competition is rampant. Offices directly compete with each other over work. The idea of "working on a team" is non-existent. Opportunity for advancement is minimal. As a technical person you become "the guy" of something, but have no opportunity to ever do anything else, which is not exactly what a 25 year old engineer is looking to do. The other option is to become a Project Manager which is a High Risk/Low Reward position. Basically, the only way I've seen the company win projects is to vastly under-price the work. It then becomes the PM's job to pick up the pieces. And when the project inevitably loses money, it's the PM's fault. If by some miracle you do manage to finish a project on schedule and budget, there is no reward. I really don't understand how this company can be making money. Basically, working here is like waiting in line to die. I'm still alive, but what's the point. I look at people who have been working here for a long time and either feel sorry for them, or want to throw up. Time to move on.

Advice to Management

This business model is broken, and I don't think there's any way to fix it. When business is down, it is still best to treat employees with respect. We (the employees) all want the best for our clients AND each other.