"Overworked & underpaid, but learned a decent amount"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The APCO office culture is very "flat" and gives its junior staff the opportunity to grow and learn with a fairly quick promotion cycle. Compared to other agencies, the junior staff has a decent amount of responsibility. The people that work here are smart and driven, and generally are nice enough. The work is also interesting - however NY is mainly corporate comms with little public affairs (despite APCOs reputation as a PA firm). A plus us they are totally flexible on WFH and office is closed Christmas week.

Cons

APCO works its staff to the ground and expects its employees to be available 24/7. They also pay terribly given hours the staff give to their jobs. The result is little work/life balance and a lot of tears over the grueling work. They also have a major staffing issue and teams are often staffed incorrectly.

Continue reading

Talent Director, North America

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’re glad you found the work interesting and empowered by APCO’s culture. The work we do for clients is demanding, but we want to make sure everyone feels valued and heard. I would like to discuss your concerns and how we can better help employees with work-life integration and any other feedback you have on your experiences so we can continue to improve and optimize the business. Shaun Corney, North America Talent Director

1. "Intern"

5.0
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at APCO Worldwide

Pros

Strong mentorship throughout the day to day at the office and a lot of opportunities to take on big tasks. The employees truly care about the interns getting a worthwhile, educational experience from the internship program. Lunch & learns at least once a week with different company executives. Great company culture

Cons

I had no cons. Overall a great experience

APCO Worldwide Response

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us - I'm so glad that you found it a rewarding and positive experience. We love having interns work as part of the team and there is always so much to learn from you, as well for us to offer in terms of development. Global Talent Director

2. COVID-19

"Politics Rule"

2.0
    Current Employee - Mid-Level
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some genuine desire to engage with pressing issues, like better parental leave or D&I initiatives. Very flexible with teleworking (even before the pandemic) and making room for medical issues, housework when you have to meet contractors or whatever, etc.

Cons

Too many to count. Internal politics rule--it's a very cliquey culture, and if you're out you're out. Unfortunately very little opportunity to chart your own course unless you get lucky with a good manager, despite claims to the contrary. Lots of hiring at the senior level for network rather actual ability to lead, meaning that the mid-level has absorbed a ton of responsibilities that are meant for higher levels (and higher salaries). At the same time, the junior level is overworked because they're the cheapest. It feels like everyone is one step away from burnout. Work-life balance is fairly non-existent. One of those places where 'this is an opportunity for you to grow and prove yourself' actually means they'll ask you to do your boss's job. Also some fairly disturbing sexism and low-key misogyny, which is papered over.

Continue reading

Talent Director, North America

First, thank you for your feedback - including your positive feedback about some of APCO’s employee benefit offerings and D&I efforts. Work/life integration, employee wellness and building an inclusive workplace of the future are among our top priorities. I find your comments about sexism and misogyny very concerning. Last year, we introduced STOPit, a confidential reporting app to ensure that anyone can report their concerns confidentially and anonymously. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you about your experience at APCO and hope we can find specific actions to address your concerns. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly. Shaun Corney, North America Talent Director.

Discover more reviews about APCO Worldwide.