1. "Fast paced, fun startup creating a smart cities solution to usher in the age automated vehicles"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Full Stack Developer in Faringdon, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at AppyWay full-time for more than a year

Pros

The domain we're working on is large scale and challenging. Our long term strategy will have a impact on the way smart cities organise themselves and the lives of the inhabitants therein. Think "air traffic control" for automated vehicle fleets. Our technology stack is broad and cutting edge, so there's plenty of opportunity to spread yourself across new technology. We're not fans of dogma and we're mainly interested in adapting the right technology to solve our customer's problems. There's a big emphasis on driving features based off user requirements here. The company culture here is fun and supportive, and possibly one of the best I've worked in. Employees here are encouraged to take ownership over problems, and when you're building a platform for a smart city there are plenty of interesting problems to solve. There's a healthy social thread that runs through this company. People support each other in the work they do, and we hold regular social events to keep the team close and the culture positive. This is particularly important during times when the pressure is on and there's a need to perform. There is no blame culture here at AppyParking, which is particularly important for engineers. Instead the company encourages contingency planning to ensure things go right the first time and retrospectives when things go wrong. Retrospectives occur at a sprint team level all the way up to a company level. The company regularly communicates it's vitals (product performance, investment opportunities, cash runway) on a monthly basis to its employees and the presentations are quite transparent. They also use net promoter score surveys and quarterly company meetings to address any concerns employees may have with the company, or to suggest improvements on how we can do things. What really impresses me the staff here at AppyParking is the drive to constantly learn from mistakes, and improve. The location of the office is in Farringdon, London, right next to the Leather Lane market - a great place for lunch. The office is spacious with plenty of natural light. It's exposed brickwork gives you that classic East London hipster startup vibe ;)

Cons

Like any startup, this place suffers from the usual growing pains whether it be basing its strategical decisions off poor / insufficient data, management interference in the design process, struggling to delegate responsibilities to the professionals it hires. These are problems you encounter when you realise you need to scale as a company and that not every decision can be or should be funnelled through a select few. This process of growing up can be painful at times and is hard fought by the staff in this company. It's equal parts frustrating and invigorating to watch the company suffer and learn from its mistakes; and learn we have because the amount of change I've seen in 2 years is staggering. I've no doubt with the people we have we can make company's dream a success. Oh, there's no cucumber infused water on tap. Sadly not every company can afford to work in a wework.

Continue reading

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great company that gives lots of opportunities"

5.0

I worked at AppyWay full-time

Pros

Senior management trusts employees - there are rooms for people to grow their careers inc. switching teams where appropriate and employees are entrusted with responsibilities and autonomy to make sound decisions and things happen. Great collaborative culture between teams!

Cons

Due to startup nature, at times it felt like the company was reacting to events or issues rather than proactively identifying threats or new opportunities.

Continue reading
  2. "Fore front of innovation -UK Tech"

4.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Head of Mobility Solutions in London, England, England

I have been working at AppyWay full-time

Pros

Advanced thinking toward technologies in cities. New products empowering local authorities Exposure to the latest Gov tech thinking shaping our future cities.

Cons

Few to report SME life can be a fun and inspiring place to work but is always a challenging environment in the pursuit of growth. We love self motivated people going places.

Discover more reviews about AppyWay.