1. "Fast paced, fun startup creating a smart cities solution to usher in the age automated vehicles"

Current Employee - Senior Full Stack Developer in Faringdon, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at AppyWay full-time for more than a year

Pros

The domain we're working on is large scale and challenging. Our long term strategy will have a impact on the way smart cities organise themselves and the lives of the inhabitants therein. Think "air traffic control" for automated vehicle fleets. Our technology stack is broad and cutting edge, so there's plenty of opportunity to spread yourself across new technology. We're not fans of dogma and we're mainly interested in adapting the right technology to solve our customer's problems. There's a big emphasis on driving features based off user requirements here. The company culture here is fun and supportive, and possibly one of the best I've worked in. Employees here are encouraged to take ownership over problems, and when you're building a platform for a smart city there are plenty of interesting problems to solve. There's a healthy social thread that runs through this company. People support each other in the work they do, and we hold regular social events to keep the team close and the culture positive. This is particularly important during times when the pressure is on and there's a need to perform. There is no blame culture here at AppyParking, which is particularly important for engineers. Instead the company encourages contingency planning to ensure things go right the first time and retrospectives when things go wrong. Retrospectives occur at a sprint team level all the way up to a company level. The company regularly communicates it's vitals (product performance, investment opportunities, cash runway) on a monthly basis to its employees and the presentations are quite transparent. They also use net promoter score surveys and quarterly company meetings to address any concerns employees may have with the company, or to suggest improvements on how we can do things. What really impresses me the staff here at AppyParking is the drive to constantly learn from mistakes, and improve. The location of the office is in Farringdon, London, right next to the Leather Lane market - a great place for lunch. The office is spacious with plenty of natural light. It's exposed brickwork gives you that classic East London hipster startup vibe ;)

Cons

Like any startup, this place suffers from the usual growing pains whether it be basing its strategical decisions off poor / insufficient data, management interference in the design process, struggling to delegate responsibilities to the professionals it hires. These are problems you encounter when you realise you need to scale as a company and that not every decision can be or should be funnelled through a select few. This process of growing up can be painful at times and is hard fought by the staff in this company. It's equal parts frustrating and invigorating to watch the company suffer and learn from its mistakes; and learn we have because the amount of change I've seen in 2 years is staggering. I've no doubt with the people we have we can make company's dream a success. Oh, there's no cucumber infused water on tap. Sadly not every company can afford to work in a wework.

Continue reading

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Exciting, inventive and loads of energy"

Current Employee - Lead Developer in London, England

I have been working at AppyWay full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The ability to work on cutting edge technology. The team energy is great, people are compensated adequately. A lack of hierarchy and a sense of being part of every step in the decision making. We're building a completely new platform and we're the only ones doing that.

Cons

Nothing really, great place to work at all around

Continue reading
  2. "Fab place to work"

Current Employee - Legal in London, England

I have been working at AppyWay full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fab, friendly place to work with a really great culture - the team are super friendly, and there's always a social event going on. The company's vision is really exciting, and the work towards getting there is both diverse and challenging - so you will certainly gain great experience you would not get in a large corporate.

Cons

Only that it is still a start-up, so whilst we have great benefits, they aren't on par with a large company. Nothing deal breaking.

Discover more reviews about AppyWay.