ArenaNet - Not a Good place to grow as an artist. | Glassdoor.co.uk

"Not a Good place to grow as an artist."

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at ArenaNet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hardly any crunch hours, you can take breaks.

Cons

Overall the place is too laid back, because of this culture most of the studio is stagnant. If you're an artist this will eventually catch up with you and you have no option but to work on personal work because of the lack of motivation to work on an archaic game most studios do not care about artistically. Only a certain few who speak up get advancement but the ceiling is so low. Certain folks are promoted to lead... positions that shouldn't be. This usually happens because the company likes to pick certain individuals that are docile and easy to control. Do not be surprised if you're being lead by someone who is much younger than you and barely been in the industry and for the most part being a mediocre artist. It's not a bad place to work but I would leave after a couple of years if you really care about your artistry and stock. Last thing the pay is low, if you don't negotiate you will get low balled.

Advice to Management

To many cooks in the kitchen. Promote the right people in key position. Wipe away most of the older leads, most are complacent and bring nothing new for the better of the company.

ArenaNet2018-08-13
  1. "Wonderful Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Cinematic Artist in Redmond, WA

I worked at ArenaNet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wonderful people & culture Life/work Balance Amazing talent Good compensation Fun events throught the year Great facility I had a lot of autonomy and ownership over my work. I also had great mentors which lead to a lot of growth. My team was wonderful and I will miss working with them.

Cons

While I'm aware of some complaints with upper management. In my personal experience, I don't have real cons to offer here. ArenaNet was the highlight of my career.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

ArenaNet2019-04-03

"Cliqueish promotion system"

Former Employee - QA Tester in Bellevue, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ArenaNet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Inclusive, liberal workplace. Everyone is accepted and friendly.

Cons

Promotion is based on who you're friends with or who you're married to/dating rather then management being able to identify skills within personnel.

Advice to Management

Consider people that actually qualify instead of your buddies to promote.

ArenaNet2019-06-07

Discover more reviews about ArenaNet.