1. COVID-19

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time for less than a year

Pros

Local leadership have been very supportive during Covid, felt no pressure to return to the office, was provided with equipment to help work from home and had regular check ins to see how you were. People have really made the effort to keep up social contact via things like weekly random coffees despite everyone working from home which made working form home less isolating. Working on some interesting greenfield development with the freedom for the team to design as they think best suits the situation, with no need to run your design past a technical review board or the like. The encouragement to learn and share you knowledge with others through communities of practice has really helped break barriers down between teams. Local product ownership. Scale of the data is enormous and presents interesting challenges. Interesting and relevant domain, online shopping is only going to continue to grow and Bazaarvoice is very much an enabler of that. Its quite funny seeing the recent 1 star reviews harking back to "superior" culture in the past of "Rockstars" where it sometimes felt like I was back at school with a "Rockstars" clique who expected that the non-rockstars should hang on their every word (like refusing to go to a social event as the "wrong" people from the office were there) and recognising the writers are the people who couldn't cope with the feedback that the rest of the office didn't want the Rockstar culture and that they needed to be inclusive and work as a team. There was a lack of self-awareness from some of these people that they were the problem which reflects in the reviews. The constant harping on about the supposedly superior technical standards of the past seems to be more about massaging their bruised egos and doesn't seem to bear any semblance to the reality of their actual contributions. From a current employee the reviews really come across as these people having a tantrum because they couldn't handle criticism and taking their ball and going home with it. The spouting of some outright lies because you don't like the change (like the Belfast office closing when we currently have highest headcount at any point of its existence and are still hiring) and trying to suggest cronyism by management for all new hires (continuing the theme of new=bad, old=good) all seems very childish and completely unprofessional (I mean it’s a job not your life). That being said the above doesn't apply to all of the recent leavers, there were some people who were a real loss (technically and culturally) but they aren't the ones leaving the 1 star reviews.

Cons

Some of the Austin leadership seem to be more focused on empire building and nice org charts than actual leading and don't seem to know (or care) whats teams in their area are up to. There seems at time to be more interest in being the smartest person in the room and centralising decision making than in empowering others to succeed. Some of the new Indian based teams don't seem to understand the concept of teamwork and think their failure to consult and plan for work need by your team for new release constitutes an emergency on your part over actual client issues.

Continue reading
  1. COVID-19

"Still very happy here"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Senior Partner Integrations Technical Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Lots of transparency and very thoughtful responses during the pandemic (as well as increased benefits for mental health services) - Surrounded by smart people who are so gracious and generous with their time and support; not just on my own team but across department lines we see lots of collaboration - Opportunities to cross-pollinate to learn different skillsets

Cons

- Depending on team size, not always good coverage for when people are out, especially with working within so many different time zones - Certain teams are just too over-encumbered and the response times are significantly longer if we need something from them. More support for them would be appreciated.

Continue reading
  2. "Grateful to be a part of this growing, thriving business!"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Analyst

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time for less than a year

Pros

BV has learned how to adapt and overcome the challenges presented in 2020. Now, the business is thriving through adversity! We are hitting record numbers, learning how to foster a productive WFH/remote culture, and continuing to deliver exceptional customer results with new solutions. It's evident that BV cares about its people and its clients. I'm grateful for the opportunity to grow my career at this company.

Cons

The company is only recently starting to hire full time remote employees, but is still not set up optimally to accommodate those employees the same way they can for their local staff. They are working to improve this, but it has come with some growing pains in trying to get the hardware and setup for new additions.

Discover more reviews about Bazaarvoice.