British Heart Foundation - Good experience | Glassdoor.co.uk

"Good experience"

Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a different approach to retail. Working for a good cause.

Cons

You get abuse from costumers very often and you costumer service team on head office don't support you at all.

Advice to Management

Keep the good staff, they leave the business because they feel they are not appreciated.

British Heart Foundation2019-09-10
  1. "Volunteer Experience"

Former Intern - Volunteer in Castleford, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation for more than a year

Pros

Nice place to work with nice employees to work with and very helpful if there is a problem

Cons

No cons with the business

British Heart Foundation2019-09-07

"Poor management and no progression"

Former Employee - Ebay in Leeds, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lovely colleagues Flexi hours Lunch/tea breaks Food sometimes provided

Cons

No career progression Poor management Data protection

Advice to Management

I want to start my review by saying I worked with some of the nicest people in this job role it’s just unfortunate that the work environment was so negative and that management here were so disappointing. This work place gives you the promise of staff progression and supporting development but this is unfortunately a lie and only applies to a select favoured few. The glass ceiling is real here, opportunities are... dangled in front of employees but are never achievable. Despite having relevant qualities and expertise for projects you will be overlooked. It was made clear by management that employees have to prove themselves to even be considered for promotion, even then, don’t get your hopes up, internal progression here is practically non existent. Passion in the charity and determination to progress within the company will be used for their benefit. Management’s approach to Mental Health and staff support was confusing, offering support but then asking why people aren’t hitting targets even though colleagues have expressed their issues and need for help. Confidentiality is something that certain members of management here take as a light suggestion. Data protection breeches happened so often I lost count. Sensitive HR information about colleagues past and present was discussed like office gossip. I would advise that management revisits the data protection policy the charity promotes as they are clearly out of touch with the appropriate behaviour and legal responsibilities they are required to adhere to. Also when these breeches were brought to the attention of relevant managers and staff there appeared to never be appropriate action taken, it seems that members of management get away with a lot of misconduct here. Due to the lack of progression and poor management, staff retention is low which is unsurprising. The staff morale is low. It would appear that despite a persons expertise in an area they are still not qualified enough to make a decision and are constantly questioned on their actions. Like any retail environment, there are personal targets, KPIs, ASPs. There is no room for negotiation here, they all have to be perfect or you are doing something wrong. I would advise management to observe their employees job roles and the processes they have to do on a daily basis before they accuse their employees of being the problem. There are so many issues with how stock is processed here that to simply push blame onto the staff for not trying hard enough is shameful. Perhaps celebrate little successes instead of constantly discussing the failures. Perhaps consider all employees instead of the select few. Offer opportunities fairly and openly to employees who want to get involved. “Take care of your employees and they will take care of your business”. Words that I think would be beneficial for management to keep in mind. I began working here really passionate about the charity but unfortunately left feeling that they had become very corporate and inconsiderate of their employees.

British Heart Foundation2019-09-09

Discover more reviews about British Heart Foundation.