British Heart Foundation - Toxic, poisonous, political and shameful | Glassdoor.co.uk

"Toxic, poisonous, political and shameful"

Former Employee - Fundraiser in London, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of holiday is great, flexible working hours, well-known brand

Cons

Really, you have to just see it for yourself to believe how this place operates. I hope it's not all charities, but I hear it pretty much is. From the backstabbing, to the colleagues ready with pistols at dawn, to the culture of blame and recognition for whoever is flavor of the month, this is a pretty torturous place to work. Not only is a huge amount of money wasted through vanity projects left right and center, but there are people constantly jostling for position. And all the while, little changes, improves or gets delivered. It's like swimming with your boots on. Then we have the awesome divide in senior management salaries, to those that actually bring in the money (fundraisers), and then those that blow it all on tech that we just don't need (hello IT), while providing super bad support to colleagues all the while. Maybe it looks good on their resumes or something, it doesn't make sense otherwise. In my time I witnessed people just not coming back the next day. Saw millions of pounds come in from people donating in their wills, only to go out again on paying someone off for a redundancy package. Meanwhile the shop workers earn one tenth of a pittance but put their hearts in (pun intended) their work. It's shameful and honestly I'm not sure I'll ever give to a charity again now. I'm just glad to have got out on my own terms. I just don't recommend it, look elsewhere please.

Advice to Management

Hang your heads in shame. You all need to be reviewed and controlled

British Heart Foundation2019-10-31
  1. "A great cause and a great job."

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

The organisation is constantly looking to improve it's performance and try new ventures. There is freedom to go about your job in the way that you think is best for the charity.

Cons

Little training on offer Very London focused, would have I love to London Head Office (GLH) to progress.

British Heart Foundation2014-07-07
  2. "N/A"

Former Employee - Leadership

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

No comment to add at this time.

Cons

Not an ideal place to work.

Advice to Management

It needs to change

British Heart Foundation2019-07-30

Discover more reviews about British Heart Foundation.