Certus Recruitment Group - The most disturbing place I have ever worked | Glassdoor.co.uk
  1. "The most disturbing place I have ever worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Certus Recruitment Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Usually if there are Pros to something then that means that there is some sort of benefit to be had. But there isn't any benefit to working here. Sure, most of the office were good people, but this was vastly outweighed by the Cons:

Cons

I have always been taught that the client comes first. Sometimes, if they call unexpectedly, this might mean that you have to attend an internal meeting a couple of minutes late. Not at Certus Recruitment. "When I say jump, you say how high!!!" Yes, those were the extraordinary words that were screamed at me by management for that exact reason. If the sight of the dilapidated office wasn’t enough, if the... disturbing levels of turnover only a week into my start-date wasn't enough, then you would have thought that this was the final warning shot that prompted me to do a 180 and take my leave. Alas, I am only human. Full of optimism and hope, and with perhaps a dash of naivety I reasoned to myself: “Things can only get better, right?” Wrong. We are told from Day 1 at Certus that recruitment is like having your own business within a business. Indeed it is repeated often: “Don’t you care about your business? Come on Certus!!!” But what kind of ownership does one have over one’s business when there is no room for autonomous decision-making? Micro-management is rife with every detail of your work being scrutinised to the extent that if you forget to cross your t’s, or (heaven forbid) make a coffee after 8:30am then you will be brought up on charge. This is despite the fact that management are clueless: Consider being called for an important, company-wide meeting on a Friday afternoon, being told of major and immediate structural changes to the organisation, only to come in on the Monday to find none of it having been implemented and then never being spoken about again. Contradictory instructions are the norm, with even the CEO himself sometimes lecturing on for 20 minutes - just to scrap everything moments later. This representation of farce also transcends into the planning and execution of company social activities. A sports day was devised. The company was split into two teams: England vs Rest of the World. I, being of colour, but nevertheless holding only a British passport, being born and having lived only in England, and to be frank, speak better English than the entirety of the office, was put into the Rest of the World team. When I asked “why”, I was told to “think about it”. This disgraceful turn of events was followed by the self-appointed referee (who would have otherwise been on Team England) continually changing the rules in favour of his home team. All of this behaviour can be reflected in the fact that Certus has been going for 20 years and has very little to show for it. The mentality towards clients is one of ‘churn-‘n’-burn’. I personally came across past instances of unhonoured agreements, with some feedback from other prospective clients being that of Certus having a ‘reputation’. Most of the other recruitment companies that they define as their competitors have a strong presence in the market, multiple clients on their books, with strong revenue and funding reports. Take a look at Certus’ publicly filed company accounts (found on Companies House) and the picture is one of despair. Recruitment companies traditionally don’t do well during recessions, and Certus most certainly is not prepared for the storm to come. When it does, they will be finished.

Advice to Management

You can't carry on like this: treating people like garbage, micro-managing, flip-flopping on decisions etc. All you end up doing is alienating the workforce and having them resent you. Then they eventually leave (the turnover was insane whilst I was there) and write an honest review on Glassdoor - which you then attempt to cover up by forcing current employees to write fake positive ones. In addition to this... time-wasting you then have to go through the cycle of hiring somebody new and expend time and money on training them. All instead of focusing on growing your core business. As mentioned above, your behaviour is reflective in your company accounts. With that being said perhaps you would do well to reflect on this (and other reviews from the past) and begin making some changes. Although I doubt it - given that one of the last things that was said to me was: "We'll never change".

Certus Recruitment Group2019-11-11

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Brilliant place for the right people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Certus Recruitment Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Really strong culture led towards developing individuals and allowing them to achieve their goals - Management focus on people that want to be there and look after engaged employees extremely well - The team always comes first - Brilliant team environment - Brilliant training and support from all management levels - Great working environment - Very client led

Cons

- Small kitchen - Recruitment is hard work!

Advice to Management

- Continue to back the brand

Certus Recruitment Group2019-10-29
  2. "Real team culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Certus Recruitment Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Encouragement to achieve your professional/personal goals via route to success meetings. I found these really helpful! - Collaborative working between the teams - Competitive, but in a good way. Have fun, work hard attitude - Are flexible if you need time off - Incentives - recently had a company sports day!

Cons

Recruitment is hard - but with hard work comes reward. If you don't have the professional maturity to know when to work and when to play I guess this could be a distraction

Advice to Management

Continue to build the brand!

Certus Recruitment Group2019-10-29

Discover more reviews about Certus Recruitment Group.