Cisco Systems - Cisco has out sourced it's culture and now we're out sourcing our common sense and good judgement | Glassdoor.co.uk

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Cisco has out sourced it's culture and now we're out sourcing our common sense and good judgement"

Current Employee - Program Manager
Current Employee - Program Manager

Pros

Large company, still recognized as good branding on your resume. Work life balance is ok.
Pay is ok, but not competitive with other industry leaders. There are good people still left in the company to mentor you, but they are quickly leaving.

Cons

Cisco is in a constant Limited Restructure (Lay off) mode. When a group fails at a project the leadership moves to another group and the engineers are laid off. Way to many VPs Directors and managers. There are managers with only one or two people under them. Same with Directors and VPs. Cisco has lost its focus and the Senior Leadership team is driving the ship into the icebergs. Pay raises and promotions are only available to the managers and above. Cisco considers it an insult to give a 2% pay raise to cover cost of living, so they may give you 5% every 5 or 6 years. Recent Cisco motto is Be thankful you have a job!

Advice to Management

The market says it well, Cisco is dead in the waters. We are the laughing stock of San Jose as well as Wall Street. Fire the board members and change the whole Senior Leadership. ANd maybe the stock will go up and we can regain our self respect finally. Stop out sourcing jobs to boost your stock options and pay.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

1. "Very tense atmosphere, but great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Event Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Event Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Pros

Flexibility
    Tech Support availability
    Ability to work acros the world
    Opportunity to transfer within to learn more skills

Cons

Constant management changes
    Re-orgs seem yearly
    EPM process
    A lot of unnecessary programs

Advice to Management

Figure out the direction of the company and head that way. Cisco is WAY too top heavy. Get rid of some Director and VP positions and hire more worker-bees. There is an ego associated with executives that is a real turn-off.

2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

Pros

Flex hours, good communication amongst teams, freedom to discuss ideas and get feedback from upper management, good employee benefits program

Cons

too huge, too many people to compete across divisions for performance review, sometimes work/ schedule can get a bit monotonous

Advice to Management

i think the time to make decisions could be a little bit quicker than what is currently being done. good work overall