Co-op - Not the best place | Glassdoor.co.uk
  1. "Not the best place"

Former Employee - Customer Service Team Member

I worked at Co-op part-time for more than a year

Pros

* Long hours if you want money * Can always pick up shifts

Cons

* Unsociable hours * Normally short staffed and stressfull

Co-op2019-07-26

Co-op Response

August 2, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate all feedback.

1. "Welcoming staff, fast-paced environment, but safety is a concern"

Current Employee - Customer Team Member in Leighton Buzzard, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Co-op part-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff here are really friendly and welcoming and are always willing to lend a hand if needed. Within just a few months of working here I was gradually given new responsibilities and introduced to new jobs which helped keep me occupied once I became faster at getting jobs done. Time goes really quickly due to it being busy and always having something to do. The pay is also really good for part-time... work Understanding management who are happy to adjust your availability to suit your current education timetable.

Cons

There is a problem with shoplifters in the area and there isn't a security guard on the door, and no possibility of ever having one. Sometimes its so busy that it is impossible to finish all your jobs before your shift ends, and you'll need to stay late. I work nights so this is irritating, but overall its not so bad.

Co-op2019-09-30

Co-op Response

October 3, 2019

Thanks very much for your review, it's great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us! Colleague safety is one of our top priorities. Our safer colleagues, safer communities campaign is focussed on tackling crime and violence. We have invested over £70 million since 2015, and have committed to match this over the next three years. This investment will go towards the installation of the latest remote monitored CCTV; communication headset devices rolled-out to all front-line colleagues and the targeted deployment of SmartWater Fog Cannons.

2. "Long shifts"

Current Employee - Store Associate in Stoke-on-Trent, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Co-op part-time for less than a year

Pros

Extra hours usually available on top of my 15 hours, some weeks I do 40, which is great when I need the money. Colleagues are great. Pay is good. Shifts app is brilliant. They're fairly flexible.

Cons

Very little training, you're just expected to know how to do everything. Also having to stand behind the till for 7 hours a day can be painful, especially as we aren't allowed to leave it unattended to walk around. I've worked with coop only 2 months and have already developed knee and back issues from standing. And i'm in my 20s. I've taken to pacing behind the tills to keep the blood flowing. Often feels... understaffed.

Advice to Management

Allow stools behind tills on longer shifts. Even if only to be used when not serving a customer. Dont have a staff on tills longer than 4 hours unless they request to be.

Co-op2019-10-16

Discover more reviews about Co-op.