"A Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor

I have been working at Debenhams part-time for more than a year

Pros

I have always had flexibility with my hours and have made some friends on the job, in fact they're probably the only reason I'm still here after a year. How much I enjoy working here certainly relies heavily on whom I'm working with. Good as a part time job while studying among other things, and is a solid fast-paced environment and usually never end up just doing menial tasks. I've had some really good days, some great laughs with colleagues and some really lovely regular customers. It feels good being able to help people. It's quite hard to summarise my experiences into a solid review as it's been quite up and down!

Cons

There is a LOT of pressure on staff to open credit cards/accounts for customers that don't always understand what this means for them. I've found that successfully opening an account usually falls down to luck, and no recognition is received for declined applications despite having convinced the customer and done the whole application process. I also do a lot of work on a couple of quieter counters, unpacking delivery, fitting room duty, and manoeuvring fixtures. I'm not always on the till so being looked down upon for not opening accounts really undermines the rest of the work I put in across other areas. Sometimes too much is expected of me and management aren't always completely fair in terms of treatment of younger staff and can be very patronising. For the expectation and pressure on my shoulders, I have found that colleagues who are older and do the same job to the same level aren't paid an equal amount. I am on a much lower salary just because I fall into the 18-21 age bracket. Of course this happens in many companies, but the pressure of this job has been a lot more than previous retail positions I've worked, and younger staff usually end up being treated more unfairly. So many customers can shout at me for things beyond my control, often relating to store policy, and I've known managers to be completely indifferent about the treatment of sales floor staff, both from seniors and customers. I had a super caring manager, but after she left, all issues like this were swept under the rug.

Continue reading
  1. "good training and team"

5.0
    Current Employee - Online Reviewer in Somerset, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Debenhams full-time for more than a year

Pros

great team, good pay i enjoyed it

Cons

none it was enjoyable

2. "Good"

5.0
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Debenhams

Pros

Nice company to work for

Cons

Every thing is good here

Discover more reviews about Debenhams.