"Not good in engineering"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Duedil full-time

Pros

location is good, lots of free food, but again that costs little money, work from home

Cons

Engineering in this company is in the hands of unexperienced people. Bad practices everywhere, poor choices. This is due to many in key positions that have been many years and are hard at changing or simply have no idea of how the job in done elsewhere. Technical direction at C and D levels is also poor and bad choices are taken. People leave and they take with them all knowledge of many custom made hacks that keep everything running. Company is skint and does not spend much on the employees. They claim a lot of things, like a "generous learning budget", but it is peanuts and only enough to buy a couple of books or do a cheap online course. No bonuses, sometime they give a bonus in the form of an amazon gift card a hug and that's it! You have to be pretending all time enthusiasm in a 10 years old company/startup that always failed to break even and likely will never, if you don't then you're frown at. Stressful, because of poor organisation. Interview is smoke and mirrors, be very suspicious and careful. -- It is not a machine learning job --

Duedil Response

October 30, 2019CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write. You've raised some significant points.First of all, I wish we had this conversation in person while you were here. Getting better requires us to listen to criticism, even when it's uncomfortable. Part of the reason we run regular team meetings, one to ones, team surveys and engage across all parts of the business as a leadership team is because we want people to speak up if they have ideas about how we can improve. The recent transition to cross-functional product and engineering teams is one example of how we've tried to give greater independence and decision-making power to the people closest to the building and supporting the product. This change was prompted by feedback from people in the team.We're proud that we have engineers with long tenure, and while some may have had limited experience in other companies, we believe that if someone has proven themselves then they deserve to be promoted regardless of how many companies they've worked in previously. That said, bringing outside perspectives is often useful, which is why we've made a number of recent hires in both product and engineering who have experience working in a mix of companies.Finally, personal and professional development is something we want people thinking about every day. We%E2%80%99ve received largely positive feedback on the training allocation we make for all members of the team, and we have people studying everything from Python to Spanish. When people have taken initiative to suggest other outside courses or conferences they%E2%80%99d like to attend we always do our best to support them. This is in addition to the internal trainings we run on everything from interviewing to emotional intelligence and presenting.We%E2%80%99re committed to continually improve, and will take your feedback on board. Best of luck in your next role.

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Ambitious & purpose driven company with lots of talented people"

4.0

I worked at Duedil full-time

Pros

- The company is extremely purpose driven. There's a clear mission driving what they're building and it's one that deeply matters for the economy. - They're trying to solve challenging problems, which gives a lot of room for career growth and learning, especially for software engineering, data and product roles - The company really cares about the people working there and you will leave having made lasting friendships - There's SO many smart, talented, hard working people at Duedil - CEO is a natural leader

Cons

- The company was still finding its bearings and with that came a lot of execution uncertainty around the product

Duedil Response

September 11, 2018CEO

Thanks for the feedback and the vote of confidence! Giving people a reason to get out of bed in the morning is so important. Early on I thought of growth as something you did for your board and investors, but having seen the talent and drive of people in our business I now know that the greatest pressure to grow comes from within. If you don't there's limited opportunity for people to challenge themselves and develop their skills and career. Much of our work these past few months has focused on clarifying why we exist and who we serve. Now we're translating that into the various parts of our business so that everyone and DueDil can see how they contribute to our vision of fuelling a more informed and connected economy. Best of luck with your next role and please know you're always welcome here!

2. "A great 'family' business that finally understands its customers"

4.0
    Former Employee - Product Manager in London, England

I worked at Duedil full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A lovely company with great office atmosphere and team spirit. Working at DueDil feels like being part of a family. Diverse and likeable staff. Nice offices in a great location. Some meaty engineering challenges to get stuck in to, particularly if you like data. After a few years of searching, DueDil finally understands its value proposition and ideal customers, as evidenced by recent success in the British Banking Awards.

Cons

As mentioned above, it took DueDil a few years to fully understand its value proposition and target markets. Some of the early investors were disappointed and fund raising was an ever-present concern, leading to high staff turnover at times. Management has since done a great job in right-sizing the ambition and building a more sustainable story. At the time I left, there wasn't a lot of career development runway ahead of me.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Duedil.