EF English First - EF Changshu - The Truth | Glassdoor.co.uk

"EF Changshu - The Truth"

Former Employee - Director of Studies in Changshu, Jiangsu

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

During my time at EF, I worked for three centers as well as in the Shanghai Headquarters. Here's the truth: EF Changshu hijacked my heart for life, and nothing else I've ever been a part of quite compares to the fellowship and camaraderie you feel on the adventure. For me, the experience was everything that I'd hoped it would be and more... The location is perfect for an authentic Chinese experience - in the... centre you get all the buzz and electric vibe of an Oriental metropolis, and of course the city's gardens and teahouses preserve the elegance of the traditional China we all read about and see in the movies. The best part is that the school is directly opposite a stunning mountain and park! The HR department (bless them) take care of you so much. They help you with your apartment, your banking, your phone, taxis, finding your way around the city... They saved me so many times and I couldn't thank them enough! You get the consistent training, the ongoing feedback, and the professional support to strengthen your skills as a teacher and even build your career. That's how I ended up working in the Shanghai Headquarters. Everyone in the school really makes sure that it's more than a job. It turns into such an enjoyable experience because you're around people who you build a connection with and who actually care. The atmosphere is just like being with a bunch of friends. It turns into a joy and I've certainly missed the place and the people since I left.

Cons

If you are interested in finding the job with the most money, then this isn't for you. If you learn and grow here, it is possible to be promoted - but still, even the promotion, even with all the opportunities it offers, doesn't come with a big chunk of money. However, if you keep going then the professional experience you gain can turn into big bucks down the road. Trust me. As a manager, I was overworked. The... local staff also have a lot to do. But I think the foreign teachers get a really good deal (definitely fewer hours than the average job back home, and much more enjoyable too!)

Advice to Management

Of course, more money would be great but that decision comes directly from the investor. For managers there needs to be a more narrow focus of responsibilities and less pressure. Only hire people who bring the right attitude! ;-) Thank you for everything!

EF English First2018-09-23

"Meh..."

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at EF English First full-time

Pros

Great experience within the country

Cons

The pay is very low

EF English First2019-07-09

"Unresponsive Management Team, Lack of Communication, Little to No follow up"

Former Contractor - Instructor

I worked at EF English First for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with the students and parents through the EF kids platform.

Cons

After joining the platform in Sept, there is little to no training or follow up from managers as they stated would occur. There is no flexibility surrounding technical issues or assistance. Management will not respond to emails or phone calls, no point in leaving a message. Very slow turn around time to open tickets. Unfair treatment of employees no time to appeal concerns or issues. Since I have been in employed... with them tickets generally take 5-7 days to get a response, now that I have been termed tickets were immediately closed.

Advice to Management

Communicate with new staff Return emails and voice messages Have a tenured person walk through the system with new hires Understand technical difficulties could be the EF platform as well Treat employees as a valued member Have flexibility around classroom options

EF English First2019-11-14

Discover more reviews about EF English First.