"Terrible pay"

1.0
    Current Employee - Teacher in London, England

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you want to get into teaching and have NO experience, you can do their 120-hour course and get some background in teaching EFL for free.

Cons

There are lots of negatives. Firstly, if you don't have a TESOL or Celta qualification you have to do a 120-hour course that won't necessarily have any validity outside of EF schools. You don't get a contract until you complete this. Fine, you may say, if you're just starting out in EFL teaching. After all, the course is free. Better to do a course that you can use to find work after your summer work is over though. In my case, I had a lot of experience teaching EFL but just didn't have the qualification (just a PGCE) so it would have meant 120 hours of unpaid hours for me just to get a 4-week job. Also, the company doesn't tell you what you will get paid UNTIL you complete the course. I did a bit of research and discovered that the company expects you to do 6 hours of teaching every week day and then take the students out on Saturdays for an excursion. They pay roughly £400 a week so we're talking about £11 an hour (not including prep time). Some people on here seem to think that's a good rate for a teacher. If that's your view, you're welcome to it. I personally found it insulting. If teachers don't push back against language schools like this, then they will always be treated as though they're not worth much. Don't work for a company that won't tell you how much you'll get paid in order to hide the terrible rate of pay.

Continue reading

EF English First Response

March 19, 2019Vice President

Thank you for your post. Many new teachers do begin their TEFL careers with EF and benefit from the extensive training, support and development opportunities we provide. A basic TEFL qualification is required of all teachers, even those with previous teaching experience. Please note that the TEFL qualification is not only an EF requirement, but a government regulation when coming to China. In the summer, some staff do work a 6 day week, but this is always clear before you start.

"I love this company"

5.0
    Current Freelancer - Adult Education Teacher

I have been working at EF English First for more than 5 years

Pros

flexible schedule, good management, freedom to work at own pace

Cons

Pay is on the lower side

Continue reading

EF English First Response

May 15, 2020Vice President

We love to hear that you love EF and we are glad to see that you’ve been with us for so long! We strive to offer quality resources to our teachers by providing consistent support, classes and innovations in the classroom. And while we know we don’t offer the highest pay in the market, we hope that you see the value of getting regular classes, which allows you to earn a stable income. A bonus is that you get to work with motivated students from across the globe while earning. Thank you again for your feedback.

2. "Good People Questionable Management"

4.0
    Former Employee - Foreign Teacher
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

EF is one of the biggest leaders of education in China so you know it’s gonna be safe legally and financially. The people at my school were super nice and the kids were cute. My Director of Studies was amazing and always put her teachers first.

Cons

Communication is really not great between departments. Things always seem to be done last minute and the division of work was always unequal, with local Chinese teachers having more work thrust on them than foreign teachers. The pay is smaller than if you were to work at a kindergarten or other school but worth it for the security. Also there’s a bit of unfair treatment with hardworking staff being overlooked for less competent staff that are friends with management.

Discover more reviews about EF English First.