"Back to Business - Glasgow"

5.0
    Current Employee - IT Consultant/Project Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'd been looking for a role for 5 years, and not succeeded. FDM recognised my potential and took me through their intensive 7 week "Back to Business" programme in Glasgow, which gave really useful training, confidence building, and repeated interview practice. At the end of the seven weeks I had a successful interview, and two weeks later I'm in a role I enjoy with a great client. I wish I'd found FDM years ago.

Cons

Pay and benefits aren't the best, but I expect I'll probably transition to a permanent role with the client after 2 years, so only a minor issue for me

Continue reading

FDM Group Response

December 13, 2017Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad the Getting Back to Business Programme worked out well for you and wish you the best of luck in your career. Sheila Flavell - COO

1. "Good"

5.0
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at FDM Group

Pros

This one is good company

Cons

I don't see so far any

"Compiling my experiences with others for a more accurate review"

4.0
    Current Employee - ITSM Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

They help you get into a successful company no matter what level of experience you have prior to starting out. Fresh college grads or Vets/anyone looking for a career change, they can get you started. In the U.S., Training is hourly paid (pay based on training location, e.g. NYC gets paid more than Virginia, etc...) and is about 3 months long. During that time, you can interview with clients and potentially start working before finishing training (I did this so I know its possible). If you are not originally from one of the locations they do training, there is an opportunity for them to put you up in a hotel for the length of your training to help with living. Once you start placement, the clock starts running on your 2 year contract. While this is a strict 2 year contract (discussed in cons), you are working with a client who usually understands you are new to the field and are working to get experience.

Cons

As mentioned in pro's, there is an opportunity for them to put young in a hotel for the length of your training, but this is not guaranteed. I wasn't put up but was able to find an AirBnB that was easily affordable with the hourly pay during training. Salary while working for client is good depending on where you move to. I ended up in a relatively cheaper city so was able to afford my own apartment, but I'm getting paid the same amount as people in NYC where the salary will go nowhere near as far. Fret not though, there is a consultant support team that can put you in contact with consultants already in the area who might need roommates or anything like that. It's not ideal, but it's a start for an entry level position. The strict 2 year contract is the hard part in my opinion. During that time, you could potentially be working the full 2nyears with the same client, which is great if it turns out you enjoy the work. If you get there and decide its not for you, however, there isn't much you can do expect stick with it until the 2 years are up. Also, if during that 2 years your client releases you (budgets, office politics, etc...) you are considered still employed by FDM and are now searching for a new client. This time can be weird because you arent working, and if you are still close to an FDM Office you are expected to return to them during the week to ensure you are still earning your salary. At the end of your 2 year contract, one of three things can happen: you will be invited to stay on with the client as a full-time internal employee, they can release you and you can sign up with FDM for another year and they help you find another client, or you can go your own way. I added this to the cons because it can be a kind of gamble if you want stability. You HAVE to be geographically flexible for this company. FDM has clients all over the country (you almost always stay in your country of origin) and you are expected to interview with clients based on the position, not the location. They expect you to not turn down an interview for the reason of "I don't want to live in city A or B", but they will ask you if you are interested in the position before putting you up for an interview at least.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about FDM Group.