"buyer"

I worked at Federal Signal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

stable but not reliable on you

Cons

no change in career and long work time

Advice to Management

n/a

Other Employee Reviews for Federal Signal

1. "The Ship Is Going Down"

Former Employee - Mid Level Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Mid Level Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Federal Signal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

OK Benefits. Reasonable work hours. Reasonable salary.

Cons

The company is destined for breakup. The parts are more valuable then the whole, and the decentralized management systems do not work. There is disarray, and a lack of direction among senior management. The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. With that disarray, you have a free-for-all with mid-level-management playing by their own rules. Too many managers, who won't roll their sleeves up and get dirty, and not enough "line" workers, which causes resentment among the rank and file. CEO is out of touch, and the mass exodus of mid-level and some senior management is evidence of that. Somehow, he has shareholders convinced he has a "plan". Where's the proof?

Advice to Management

Accept the fact that the business is not going to grow, the culture is not going to get better, and product quality is going to continue to deterioriate. Once you accept that, make a decision -- go down with the ship, or jump while you can.......

2. "The worst company I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

It was interesting to know what happens when a car goes through a toll booth and what happens to charge the owner of the car for the toll. The web based application had lots of different options to learn.

Cons

Long hours and panic fixes lead to bad work life balance. Salary is way below market. There is little to no communication. Things are sprung on you at the last minute. No training available.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like mushrooms. You need to communicate more and give some incentives. And let them not have to work on the weekends once in a while.