Financial Conduct Authority - "Authorisations - lending and intermediaries" - Ok but room for improvement | Glassdoor.co.uk

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Financial Conduct Authority

""Authorisations - lending and intermediaries" - Ok but room for improvement"

Current Employee - Associate in London, England
Current Employee - Associate in London, England

I have been working at Financial Conduct Authority full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for sideways moves.
Mostly nice people.
Good canteen.
Lots of knowledgeable people to learn from.
Friendly Head of Department who is easy to get along with.

Cons

Reg As doing the same work as Reg Bs and Reg Cs and not being appropriately rewarded for this.

Confused risk appetite - measures have been implemented in an attempt to improve consistency. Unfortunately we now have a number of guides to assist case officers which don't always marry with each other i.e. one guide will categorise the firm's risk to our objectives on one set of criteria and another guide will categorise the firm on a different set of criteria, each with different results.

A number of long time associates who resist any fresh input and work to undermine newer associates and managers.

Managers openly undermining each other.

Tiresome relationship with supervision - often feels like we're on opposite teams.

It is too difficult to refuse authorisation to firms - the hurdles are too high. It often feels like you are pushing firms to improve processes with nothing to threaten them with if they refuse.

Silly amounts of administration to close a case - renaming of all emails, recording of risk category, checklists, case notes, manual email confirmations etc.

Director who doesn't seem to have a clue about how difficult the work is on the ground, just wants results!

Advice to Management

Stop undermining each other. While it's a source of gossip, it's not a good look.

Other Employee Reviews for Financial Conduct Authority

1. "Fantastic Place to work"

Former Employee - Paralegal in London, England
    Former Employee - Paralegal in London, England

I worked at Financial Conduct Authority full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting work, nice people, genuinely enjoyed my time there.

Enforcement and Market Oversight seems to be the best place for paralegals to get some legal experience!

Cons

Low base salary and difficult progression if you’re not placed in the right team at the outset. Management has changed so hopefully for the best in terms of giving opportunities to younger employees

2. "summer associate"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Financial Conduct Authority as an intern

Pros

Friendly environment, good support and interesting work

Cons

Was a bit slow to start with