Glassdoor - Exciting company where you can make a difference and work alongside great people | Glassdoor.co.uk
There are newer employer reviews for Glassdoor

"Exciting company where you can make a difference and work alongside great people"

Former Employee - Partnerships in London, England
Former Employee - Partnerships in London, England

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved coming in to work every day. The team are all so lovely and respectful and the work environment is great. Everyone is very driven about the Glassdoor mission and very passionate about their work. Glassdoor as an employer is super flexible and appreciates the work/life balance of their employees. You also get a lot of opportunity at Glassdoor to use your skills and develop professionally. It's still in many ways a start-up which clearly isn't for everyone but really what difference do you expect to make at the alternative, a 10k+ employees professional network company based in central London? If you want to really contribute and feel like your work makes a difference then you should work for Glassdoor.

The direct management in my team was very supportive, great mentors and anything but micro-management. Generally Glassdoor doesn't really do micromanagement which also means you should know to manage yourself.

Other pros are the competitive salary, great office location, nice team events, progression and autonomy.

Talking for the London office, I wouldn't say the negative reviews really give an accurate idea of the work environment. There's challenges that come with any start-up but most comments do not resonate with my experience in any way.

I can truly recommend Glassdoor to anyone that is looking for a meaningful job, with tons of learning opportunities, room for growth, amazing colleagues and a healthy work environment.

Cons

I had no reason whatsoever to leave on my own initiative for above reasons but the company decided to let me go due to focus shift away from most EMEA markets. Very disappointing and sad but I respect tough decisions need to be made in order to move the business forward - although in all modesty I believe this was a poor decision made by higher management as I (as well as my colleagues in the other markets) build up tons of relationships within industry and media landscape that will be hard to rebuild when focus will be shifting back to those markets. In addition to that we took on so many different tasks outside of our original jobs such as sales, marketing, pr, etc. (which I loved as never a day was the same), while getting paid for 1 which is a pretty good deal for the company I'd say. It's like spending ages on building a sand castle and then kicking it in. What monster does that, no offense. Anyway I'm all for flexible redundancy rules but perhaps in a more constructive way.

Advice to Management

If you need to let go of loyal employees, give them the opportunity to properly wrap up. All of us who were made redundant, had to pack our bags and go. I have been a happy advocate for Glassdoor and was 100% on board of the mission and made great progress to make a success of my market. Having to leave so abruptly with no notice or chance to finish things off, is the last thing I expected from a company like Glassdoor and what it preaches. Not only does this put Glassdoor in a bad light with partners and clients as all of a sudden they lost their main contact they spoke to every week (in their own language), it is also personally and professionally damaging for us and the network we built up.

Otherwise my main advice would be value the employees that are left in the EMEA team as they are such hard and dedicated workers who are confronted with many more challenges than in the head office and rarely complain except perhaps about the coffee machine which is totally legitimate. You have lost great talent (talking generally here, I am not Kanye West) that will remain to impact the long-term international strategy, but value the strong professionals working for you and oh yeah never remove focus from PR because your global PR is the most impressive team ever and really sets Glassdoor apart as a company. Media loves the stories, the research, the data and what Glassdoor does.

Otherwise keep doing what you do

5 Jul 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thank you for sharing such detailed feedback, it’s meaningful and incredibly helpful. As we look for ways to improve & change, we will certainly take your words into consideration for the future... More

Other Employee Reviews for Glassdoor

"Anything in life worth having is worth working for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Glassdoor London longer than anyone else and feel that I am qualified to give a balanced opinion based on a number of different team changes and a significant amount of growth over time. I fully believe that Glassdoor is destined for greatness on a global scale and I personally enjoy working here very much. I look forward to every day, I understand and support the mission of the company, I know how I can make a difference and my goals are clear. I feel like I am well supported by my manager and wider team in the US and I also feel like the work-life balance is good. Our benefits program is slowly improving but the main benefit for me are the share options, which I value highly.
    The culture in London is good (in my opinion) although perhaps a work in progress. We get together and socialise pretty regularly. We always have team events in the pipeline and I enjoy everyone's company in the office.
    Some of us have been around for a while now and, just as with any company, others have left for various reasons. It hasn't worked out for some people, but at the end of the day, that's life. Glassdoor isn't for everyone and some people have probably had a pretty rough time and struggled, but I have thrived here. I feel appreciated by the CEO and in return I feel a strong sense of loyalty. There's no magic formula: if you like your job and you are good at it, you do well.

Cons

Let's be honest, we're not there yet, in terms of where I want Glassdoor to be in Europe nor where I thought we would be at this point in 2017. As a company, we're having to re-focus and set ourselves up for success, and I accept that. This is quite normal for a hyper-growth company. I'm not concerned about our strategy or momentum, but it doesn't mean that I'm not fed up about being temporarily restricted in terms of my scope.

My hours can be quite long and there is certainly a lot of scrutiny and pressure. However, I've always felt that I can take the time I need to recharge as well as have flexible working.

If you like an all-singing, all-dancing benefits scheme, everything on a plate, easy-sell corporate environment with massive salaries, then Glassdoor is not for you. If you don't mind pushing the envelope and you are resilient enough to rough it a bit on the journey, then Glassdoor could take you into a new league in terms of what you thought you could achieve and where you thought your career could go. You need to see the bigger picture and not get caught up on little things if you want to be satisfied working here. I actually like this in a way because it filters out those that can't, or are not willing, to go the distance.

Advice to Management

Seriously, it's time for us to think about new office facilities for the UK. We need proper support from the facilities team, not an "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" approach.

5 Jul 2017 – CEO & Founder

As one of our first hires in the UK, I salute you for taking on the unknown and setting us up for success in our first-ever European office. You point to a hardworking scrappy environment that I... More

"This place is hell"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive environment and training is provided

Cons

They promise a lot but what a let down, poor salaries, out of date commission structure. working long hours in general but here you are expected to work overtime every day. No team spirit a lot of friction and a racist environment . You need to appreciate your employees and make them feel special

Advice to Management

Get a reality check

19 May 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry that you did not feel comfortable communicating these frustrations while you were with Glassdoor, but please note I take them quite seriously. We want to... More