Grist - Rewarding, challenging, and eye-opening | Glassdoor.co.uk

There are newer employer reviews for Grist

"Rewarding, challenging, and eye-opening"

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, a lot of creative freedom.

Cons

Leadership conflicted and sometimes obtuse.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with staff.

Other Employee Reviews for Grist

1. "We're moving forward"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Grist full-time

Pros

- Everyone at Grist is a brilliant, hard-working individual passionate about their work. There are no slackers that I've encountered, and everyone generally likes their job.

- We get to do some really awesome work. The Grist brand is know by a passionate (albeit small) group of people passionate about environmentalism, so we mean something special to those people.

- Work/life balance is great. People generally work 9 to 5 with after-hours work very rarely for special projects. Vacation and sick time are about average.

Cons

A lot of the previous negative reviews are true, but there should be some context. We just went through a round of layoffs (which is extremely unfortunate) but not something out of the ordinary for a media company. Grist is in a time of great transition, a new vision and mission, a new CEO, and a large fundraising push. While I agree with a lot of the critiques by employees whom were let go, I'm confident that we are headed in the right direction.

To the diversity/equity problem at Grist, it's something a group of employees are very passionate about. Our new CEO is also passionate about this, so I'm hopeful we will see more action behind this.

Advice to Management

- Don't try to do everything at once! Our staff is too small at the moment to stretch us so thin.

- Focus on what Grist is known for — journalism. These side projects are a distraction.

"Tremendous Intentions, The Best Intentions"

I worked at Grist full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the right person, Grist is a fun place to work. The work/life balance is great, and employees are generally friendly, committed, and good for a laugh. The magazine occupies an interesting space in journalism - sort of like the communications arm of a non-profit. It offers an outlet for mission-centric work.

Cons

Grist is kinda the Rachel Dolezal of environmentalism. It aspires to center environmental justice and organizational equity, but these things just aren't in its DNA. I think the toxicity comments in other reviews here are broadly true. During my time at Grist, I watched a lot of strong writers lose confidence in their own writing because of conflicting/shifting editorial standards and warped incentive structures. The organization's mission/vision was reworked so many times it failed to mean anything. Senior management is masterful and generous with the non-apologetic 'we think that's important and it's something we're working on'.

When I think about Grist, I feel tired. It was unclear whose words and ideas mattered.

Advice to Management

- Invest in your HR department
    - Accept your role in perpetuating structural racism and prioritize a transparent, concrete response
    - Don't instrumentalize your values