Grist - Rewarding, challenging, and eye-opening | Glassdoor.co.uk

There are newer employer reviews for Grist

"Rewarding, challenging, and eye-opening"

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, a lot of creative freedom.

Cons

Leadership conflicted and sometimes obtuse.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with staff.

Other Employee Reviews for Grist

"Disastrous Editing Process"

I worked at Grist full-time

Pros

They are frequently hiring, though increasingly only for contract positions.

Cons

The executive editor insists on line-editing feature articles after they have already gone through the edit process, and will heavy-handedly rewrite perfectly good, magazine-style articles so that they read like the product of a regional daily newspaper. Grist has many talented editors and writers who were often hired precisely because of the distinctive verve and style of their writing, and for them, this process of seeing their work extensively rewritten at the very end of the edit process by someone who refuses to take feedback and who has no real checks to their editorial power is profoundly demoralizing.

To make this worse, the executive editor refuses to allow staff writers to freelance for or even be interviewed by other publications without his approval (which he frequently won't give, or will delay making a decision on until the window of opportunity has passed).

Previously, Grist was known as a place for young writers and editors to experiment and make a name for themselves. This is not the case anymore, and it won't be until the executive editor does his actual job, and leaves lower-level employees to do what they were hired for. If the executive editor had been asked to take an edit test as part of the hiring process, he would have failed. If he had announced his intent to edit instead of doing the job he was tired to do (impress rich people, raise money) he would not have been hired for this position.

Furthermore, the executive editor commutes to the Seattle offices to New Jersey several times a month by airplane, which is a strange and expensive choice for a climate-focused nonprofit to make.

Advice to Management

Someone like Dave Roberts could only have come out of a place with the editorial freedom that Grist had. Unless you give that freedom back, your writing -- and reputation -- will suffer.

2. "We're moving forward"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Grist full-time

Pros

- Everyone at Grist is a brilliant, hard-working individual passionate about their work. There are no slackers that I've encountered, and everyone generally likes their job.

- We get to do some really awesome work. The Grist brand is know by a passionate (albeit small) group of people passionate about environmentalism, so we mean something special to those people.

- Work/life balance is great. People generally work 9 to 5 with after-hours work very rarely for special projects. Vacation and sick time are about average.

Cons

A lot of the previous negative reviews are true, but there should be some context. We just went through a round of layoffs (which is extremely unfortunate) but not something out of the ordinary for a media company. Grist is in a time of great transition, a new vision and mission, a new CEO, and a large fundraising push. While I agree with a lot of the critiques by employees whom were let go, I'm confident that we are headed in the right direction.

To the diversity/equity problem at Grist, it's something a group of employees are very passionate about. Our new CEO is also passionate about this, so I'm hopeful we will see more action behind this.

Advice to Management

- Don't try to do everything at once! Our staff is too small at the moment to stretch us so thin.

- Focus on what Grist is known for — journalism. These side projects are a distraction.