Havas Life - Beware the UK team - burning through workers while senior management sit back | Glassdoor.co.uk

"Beware the UK team - burning through workers while senior management sit back"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thames Ditton, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Havas Life full-time

Pros

- Some bits of free food - Generally nice office - Some genuinely nice people to work with - Office location is clam and quiet

Cons

- Location is also dull and awkward for commuting due to unreliable train services and traffic - No consistency with salary, with rare pay rises being awarded tactically opposed to hard work - Senior management are difficult to work with – finger-pointing and blame culture will prepare you to cover yourself quickly - Culture of staying late to keep face, making it uncomfortable to leave work on time -... Transparency is preached but not practised - information (such as key team members leaving) is only shared when convenient for senior management - Little to no career guidance or training - you'll simply be thrown in the deep end - A member of senior management is widely known to be rude, condescending and distressing to other members of the team – causing many people to leave the company due to stress – multiple meetings with HR did not resolved this as bringing money in is valued over employee well-being - All of the above gives the feeling you are another number in the system clocking in and out - Unbelievably high turnover rate (especially in the UK team)

Advice to Management

Listen when issues are repeatedly raised and take more care for your employees' mental health.

Havas Life2019-01-29

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Challenging and Exceptional"

Freelancer in New York, NY

I have been working at Havas Life

Pros

HLNY is an agency that has exceptional leadership on both the Account and Creative side. They provide exceptional leadership across the boards. The environment is 100% collaborative and senior leadership does everything it can to make sure the teams are fully staffed. The work is creative and outside of the box thinking and tactics happen regularly. All departments support each other and I have not seen any real... frustrations or team infighting. With all the shops I have been at, I have not been this happy in nearly a decade. Additionally, there is bagel and fruit Mondays which is nice. Also, they do a beer/wine cart every Thursday or Friday depending on the season.

Cons

The only cons I have are industry cons. We work in a brutal industry and the hours can be challenging, but this is the MOST liberal agency I have worked out of that allows you to work from home, if needed. So, I guess no cons...

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your people and continue to grow from the inside. As an agency, I think you are growing the right people and making an agency truly a powerhouse.

Havas Life2016-09-05

"Great place to work if you're on the right team"

Former Employee - Creative Manager in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Havas Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong account and copy departments. Efficient, no-nonsense attitudes and good problem-solvers everywhere. Being able to work autonomously and use independent judgment gets rewarded there. The culture skews smart and cynical, and no one expects you to "drink the kool aid" or be a cheerleader for the agency even during the boozy pep rallies. If you're on a bad team, the hours can be long. But I worked on a team where... we delivered a high volume of work and still left by five or six regularly — good account people, reasonable clients!

Cons

The art department needs a creative retreat or something. Everyone is so burned out and robotic. The editorial department also needs a boost. It felt at the time I left like internal growth opportunities were limited without new business wins. Heavily staffed at the top without a lot of room to grow for anyone doing the bitc* work.

Advice to Management

Throw everything into new business pitches, get more business, and recruit inspiring art leadership beyond just the CD

Havas Life2018-11-14

Discover more reviews about Havas Life.