"Former Software Engineer"

Former Employee - QA Engineer
Former Employee - QA Engineer

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere and flexible working schedule

Cons

Right now it is struggling and you never know when the next layoff is since they've been doing so many. Morale is really low but depending on which group you are in.

Advice to Management

Next time you do 10% pay cut you should apply that to your bonuses also... 10% pay company-wide is fine but when your base salary is 250k and you make millions in bonuses that is not calculated in the pay cuts is unfair

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "Awesome Place to work, Hands down"

Pros

The people were awesome, my team was really nice in and outside the office. Looked forward to going to work everyday.

Cons

The deadlines they were frustrating, projects upon projects with no time for breaks. It was not easy by any means.

Advice to Management

Fantastic environments, did not mind going to work everyday, like I mentioned earlier some of the deadlines are tough to work with.

2. "It was better when we were EDS"

Current Employee - Technical Lead
    Current Employee - Technical Lead

Pros

Opportunities to greatly increase your level of responsibility - if you stick your neck out. Good reputation, looks good on your CV. Challenging work. Lots of corporate knowledge and experience - if you can work out how to take advantage of it!

Cons

Used to be EDS - which was fine. But the HP mothership seems to have no idea what we do, and consequently make appalling decisions. A no payrise policy seems to be in force. Bonuses are mediocre, if indeed any money has been put in the pot to pay them - despite strong profits. Also if you get one this year, you won't get one next year as it'll be someone else's turn. Annual appraisals very subjective. Lack of local HR professionals who are actually trained and skilled in the role. Local management is fine, but senior management seems to be based on sending an emails that tell you to go find out the rules are (because the managers don't know where they are), and if you break them, it's your neck on the line.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the morale of your workforce. They are your most valuable resource. The good ones will find it the easiest to leave. There is an awful lot of dead wood in this company. And they seem to have been around the longest! Creativity has been stifled by beauracracy. Invest in making life easier for your employees to do their jobs.