Holiday Extras - Just great! | Glassdoor.co.uk

"Just great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* I can discuss so many pros of working here! The culture is to work hard in an enjoyable atmosphere, with colleagues who (On the whole) embrace change and are keen to improve and develop - leading to a fairly fast paced atmosphere that is fun and lively.
* I have never worked somewhere that is as flexible and supportive; I work part-time and am able to flex my hours to suit my family and other commitments, with no fuss. The level of trust is just great.

Cons

* Salaries are not the best but more than made up for by work-life balance and working atmosphere.
* Can be difficult in regards to career progression, options are limited in my area but not necessarily in all areas within the business. However, I have managed to expand my role and responsibilities as I identified I wanted more challenge. You are given the opportunity to step up.

Advice to Management

Be consistent with messages and strategy and how this is shared to the workforce.

Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Extras

1. "Very Enjoyable!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Always a pleasure coming into work, most days are fun - never get the feeling of wanting to take the day off. The company is very flexible letting you work how you want to, in terms of which hours you want to do and being able to work from home.
    - Great culture, lovely office with very friendly employees. Everyone seems to care about the company and want the most from it.
    - Leadership team are very accessibly and transparent. They do truly seem to care about the company.

Cons

- It's not the best of places if you want to advance your career and salary is too low for the industry.
    - The benefits are pretty bad. Lack of health or dental insurance unless you've been there for many years. No gym discounts (even though they say they have). You only get 20 days holiday per year (+1 for birthdays).
    - Overall, the company do try their best but seem to try and do it very cheaply. Also, the desk chairs are very bad (as a developer, this is quite important to me).

Advice to Management

It's a great company but invest more in your staff. Morale in the web team isn't amazing, you can't keep pushing for more while not giving any more back.

2. "Contact Centre Team Manager"

Current Employee - Team Manager
    Current Employee - Team Manager

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is fantastic and has a clear identity, outlined by it's recently revamped values. I've always felt a part of the HX family from my first day and this is a key contributor to their continued successes. The support network is fantastic and there is plenty of room for progression if you're willing to work hard and seek out your opportunities. The business invests heavily in it's people and is dedicated to promote internally and offering out a number of secondments for members of staff within my time here. The addition of the new building shows the ambitions of the company and I feel that all the top level managers are committed to making us the best we can be.

Cons

The main reason why I've given this a 4* rating overall and not 5* is that I feel the salary isn't fairly reflected for the level of work in my role. Team sizes have grown far too big in the past, and this is something that the business has identified and committed to not wanting it to get to those levels again, which I hope they see through.

Advice to Management

Continue doing all the things that make us a fantastic environment to work in and keep improving the communication lines. The recent work of David Norris is commendable and has brought many positive changes. I would also encourage them to re-visit their pay for staff that are promoted internally, as there isn't much in the way of success criteria to move up to a new pay band etc.