Holiday Extras - Great place to work, that's easily connected to the whole of Kent and London | Glassdoor.co.uk

"Great place to work, that's easily connected to the whole of Kent and London"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked for Holiday Extras (or HX as it is affectionally known by it's employees) for a over 10 years now, to what was only originally meant to be a temporary position. HX is a progressive company that has always been open to new ideas; whether it's adopting a new style of developing the website (agile), to encouraging working from home to ensure you have a good work-life balance. HX have always... encouraged internal progression, irrespective of your position. There are a number of directors that started their careers in the contact centre or administration roles, and proves that commitment and hard word pays off. There are great company benefits that are open to all from the moment you join. Whether this be a generous pension scheme, to cinema ticket discounts. All can be accessed is a secure intranet that allows you to manage your perks. In addition, long service is rewarded - free private health care after 4 years. There is a real sense that everyone cares about the future of HX, and is encouraged with quarterly payments of profit-share - the more the business earns, the more we as individuals are rewarded. These are just a few examples of what makes HX a great place to work - there are more reasons, but will be here all day!

Cons

Genuinely there isn't that many cons. As internal progression and development is encouraged, it makes it a hard place to leave!

Holiday Extras2015-12-14
  1. "Fantastic Benefits & Culture"

Current Employee - Recruitment Executive

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Holiday Extras benefits are fantastic and amongst them is our new Holiday Extras “Wanderlust Collection” which gives HX’ers paid and unpaid sabbaticals to reward long service, as well as the option to work from anywhere in the world for two weeks. I recently spent one week working remotely from the beautiful Italian city of Turin! My partner travels for work and often spends long stretches away from home, meaning... we don’t get to see as much of each other as we’d like. This benefit allowed me to spend some important time with my partner as well as giving me some all important space to get creative and really push ahead with some project work. One of the side effects of my “work and travel” experience was that through booking our products I got to experience them as a customer would. I booked my travel extras using our new app and was amazed to see the updates made since my last booking; no longer having to print passes for security fast track is an organisational win! I booked an airport hotel, hire car and travelled to the airport by train…. And felt I was able to give some really useful developmental feedback whilst I was away and when I returned on the products and reported some technical gremlins that were immediately resolved! Although it was a great experience, one of the biggest challenges for me was my concern around not being in the office. As someone who thrives off interaction with others I thought working in a hotel room was going to really affect my energy levels; boy was I wrong! Holiday Extras is a fantastic place to work as a remote worker, my colleagues made sure that every meeting was remote friendly opting for shared docs to input into rather than whiteboards; it felt like I was in the office…. Just with more sunshine and a stunning view of the alps from my room. I also conducted several interviews over video conference alongside my colleagues based in the wave, which was great as it reinforced to the candidates that we really do take advantage of the benefits we offer. I was in constant contact with the team and it was great to experience all of our usual events like team stand ups and our company all hands (shout out) which are all accessible by video conference or streamed live on workplace (our intranet). During the weekend, my partner and I took a trip to the Italian Riviera (using our Holiday Extras hire car) where we rented an airbnb in a beautiful fishing village right on the beach. This was a perfect way to kick off the trip, after arriving at 9.am on Friday and doing a full days work we loaded the car and headed to the coast! When we returned on the Sunday evening it felt like we’d been on a week mini break, and I was ready to work the rest of the week from the hotel. The week flew by with lots of tasks being ticked off the to-do list at lightning speed. I felt rejuvenated by the break and energised by the new surroundings, developing creative solutions to tasks and blockers whilst taking a wander around the city during my evenings exploring the tourist spots. HX “work and travel” is a fantastic benefit and I’d encourage everyone to use it if they can, it gives HX’ers a real insight into our products and our customers. And most importantly it enables you to make the most of your time, manage your energy and boost creativity!

Cons

I cant think of any that aren't being addressed... Just some advice I guess that will follow below.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating, Holiday Extras is a remarkable place to work and if we keep innovating for our people and our customers the sky's the limit!

Holiday Extras2019-10-07
  2. "Good but pay is below average"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, friendly people. Excellent profit sharing. Can work from home.

Cons

Pay is not transparent. Pay is always lowballed without any negotiation.

Holiday Extras2019-11-11

Discover more reviews about Holiday Extras.