Hotjar - A dream company to work for but know what you're getting into! | Glassdoor.co.uk

"A dream company to work for but know what you're getting into!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hotjar full-time for more than a year

Pros

* I actually enjoy the work that I get to do every day. Now I'm not some crazy person that LOVES to work and never has bad days, but overall I really do enjoy the work that I get to do and the impact it makes on the company. * And on that note, it is great to actually see how each team's work and individual's work actually influences how Hotjar grows. Everything and every one matters. This is not a place where you can just coast by, there is a lot of hard work involved but it is important work. * Work/Life balance used to be a joke to me, but the culture at Hotjar really emphasizes how important it is to balance. Not only do we have a large number of vacation days, but the leadership team will "shame" those who HAVEN'T taken all their vacation days. I've been able to travel and visit places that I never thought I would on my vacation time! * I feel like I'm surrounded my geniuses and they are all happy to help. It's nice being around inspiring people and learning and developing your career with them. * There is plenty of career development opportunities. I get the opportunity to try new things, pick up new skills, or take a new path altogether. Whether you want to become a leader or develop your current skills, there is always opportunity.

Cons

* Being based in the US means being a contractor is hard. I pay for my own insurance and contribute to my own retirement, which isn't what I've been used to as a W2. Of course I was aware of this from the very start and in my situation, the compensation and the perks outweigh this negative. * Remote life is not for everyone. It can be lonely, you can get stir crazy, and truly takes dicipline.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire smart but also make sure to weed out those that can't keep up. With such a high-velocity company, it only takes a handful of mediocre performers to slow down a whole department.

Hotjar2018-10-04

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Remote done right"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Hotjar for less than a year

Pros

This is the best employer I've been a part of based on how employees are valued and treated. It's ironic that all of the other places I've worked - which were not remote - could not come close to Hotjar in this regard. Outstanding company benefits, including professional development and home office budgets. Opportunities to take on projects and bring ideas to others across the company. Despite us all being remote, we are able to connect with one another more easily than I've seen in other companies. You are trusted to do your job and to do it well. That means there isn't any micromanaging or any sort of passive-aggressive monitoring of your progress. I really appreciate this! Working remote definitely has its challenges, but Hotjar is committed to addressing them in a variety of ways that benefits its employees. I'm always in awe of how much they care about the progress of the company, employees, and the symbiotic relationship between those two factors.

Cons

While I perceive Hotjar to be a mature company in so many ways - it's still a startup that needs to move fast and sometimes that means having to shift plans and expectations dramatically. I don't believe this mentality suits everyone. I'm a contracted worker, so that's not really fun to deal with. Sometimes I miss the perks of 401k reimbursement at my last job, but I've slowly seemed to have found my way to accepting this as worth the tradeoff given Hotjar's other benefits. It's so much harder to foster and encourage team synthesis remotely. I think Hotjar tackles this well, but it's never going to take away from the fact that this is really difficult! You have to work diligently as an employee to communicate and stay aligned with your team and company. It's all worth it - but still not for everyone, especially those used to not having to work hard to maintain their alignment to their team and workplace. It would be nice to have more opportunities to plan for growth within the company (if it's even possible). I have seen a great deal of progress from Hotjar recently so I don't expect this to be a con for long.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employee feedback, but encourage leadership to amp up the feedback for all employees looking to grow and improve. Continue to spend time fostering that team environment that you have already successfully created. Continue to keep things fun :) You're doing a great job.

Hotjar2018-10-26

"Concept Does not Scale"

Former Employee - Devops Engineer

I worked at Hotjar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Perks, remote work location.

Cons

CEO has no idea of the future and the Marketshare he wants to get in the analytics market. Don't think this company will reach a peak growth. Typical European working attitude.

Hotjar2019-06-14

Discover more reviews about Hotjar.