Hotjar - A great company that listens to and implements feedback | Glassdoor.co.uk

"A great company that listens to and implements feedback"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Newcastle, England

I have been working at Hotjar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hotjar really listen to feedback and implement it to improve the company. This isn't just the leadership either; it genuinely feels like everyone in the company will take suggestions on board and see how we can make the company better for our customers and the rest of the team. The company puts a lot of effort into supporting working remotely. Because working remotely is a core part of who we are, Hotjar doesn't reduce pay or other perks. I talk to my colleagues more as a remote worker than I ever did while working in an office!

Cons

While having the freedom to sort your own expenses is good, the process for tracking it takes some getting used to at first. You'll definitely need to put it in your calendar as a weekly process!

Advice to Management

Keep learning, keep taking on feedback and keep doing a great job!

Hotjar2018-10-15

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Remote done right"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Hotjar for less than a year

Pros

This is the best employer I've been a part of based on how employees are valued and treated. It's ironic that all of the other places I've worked - which were not remote - could not come close to Hotjar in this regard. Outstanding company benefits, including professional development and home office budgets. Opportunities to take on projects and bring ideas to others across the company. Despite us all being remote, we are able to connect with one another more easily than I've seen in other companies. You are trusted to do your job and to do it well. That means there isn't any micromanaging or any sort of passive-aggressive monitoring of your progress. I really appreciate this! Working remote definitely has its challenges, but Hotjar is committed to addressing them in a variety of ways that benefits its employees. I'm always in awe of how much they care about the progress of the company, employees, and the symbiotic relationship between those two factors.

Cons

While I perceive Hotjar to be a mature company in so many ways - it's still a startup that needs to move fast and sometimes that means having to shift plans and expectations dramatically. I don't believe this mentality suits everyone. I'm a contracted worker, so that's not really fun to deal with. Sometimes I miss the perks of 401k reimbursement at my last job, but I've slowly seemed to have found my way to accepting this as worth the tradeoff given Hotjar's other benefits. It's so much harder to foster and encourage team synthesis remotely. I think Hotjar tackles this well, but it's never going to take away from the fact that this is really difficult! You have to work diligently as an employee to communicate and stay aligned with your team and company. It's all worth it - but still not for everyone, especially those used to not having to work hard to maintain their alignment to their team and workplace. It would be nice to have more opportunities to plan for growth within the company (if it's even possible). I have seen a great deal of progress from Hotjar recently so I don't expect this to be a con for long.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employee feedback, but encourage leadership to amp up the feedback for all employees looking to grow and improve. Continue to spend time fostering that team environment that you have already successfully created. Continue to keep things fun :) You're doing a great job.

Hotjar2018-10-26

"Concept Does not Scale"

Former Employee - Devops Engineer

I worked at Hotjar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Perks, remote work location.

Cons

CEO has no idea of the future and the Marketshare he wants to get in the analytics market. Don't think this company will reach a peak growth. Typical European working attitude.

Hotjar2019-06-14

Discover more reviews about Hotjar.