Hotjar - Concept Does not Scale | Glassdoor.co.uk
  1. "Concept Does not Scale"

Former Employee - Devops Engineer

I worked at Hotjar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Perks, remote work location.

Cons

CEO has no idea of the future and the Marketshare he wants to get in the analytics market. Don't think this company will reach a peak growth. Typical European working attitude.

Hotjar2019-06-14

Hotjar Response

July 4, 2019

David here – CEO of Hotjar. It's a pity you had to use false information for this review. Everyone who joined the Hotjar team in Devops is still working for the business. The fact that you talk about 'marketshare' and 'analytics market' shows that you are not aware of how we run the business and our goals... which makes me question whether you actually worked for us at all... or perhaps you did so for a short time some years ago. Regardless I will still address your points :) 1. The Future I'm proud to say that I am a CEO that has no idea what the future will look like. Any CEO that claims to is fooling themselves / others. Instead, at Hotjar we're focused on 1. obsessing over our users (so we truly understand their challenges and goals) and 2. building a team and org that can adapt and respond quickly to change. 2. Marketshare / Peak Growth Why does the business world have to obsessed with fighting / winning and dominating / destroying. While we keep track of Hotjar's use and popularity we're more focused on putting our dent in the universe. We don't have to own the universe :) I highly recommend you read the chapter 'Happy Pacifists' in the book 'It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work'... which is written by a US entrepreneur who runs a US company called Basecamp. 3. Analytics Market Hotjar is more than just an 'analytics tool'... Hotjar answers questions about your users that traditional web analytics can’t. We do this with both Behavioral Analytics and User Feedback. There are currently more than 24,000 companies that pay on a monthly basis for the insights Hotjar delivers. I'm quite sure that’s barely a blip of the overall market and we're fine with that. We’re doing our best to serve our customers well and that’s what matters. Doubling, tripling, quadrupling our market share doesn’t matter. 4. 'Typical European working attitude' We don't consider ourselves to be European – our team of 80 comes from 20 countries around the world. I also don't think it's healthy to stereotype in this way. I guess if you feel this way and based on the comments above, Hotjar is def not the right fit for you. Anyone who wants to learn more about our values and how we run the business can read this article on our blog: https://www.hotjar.com/blog/company-values

Other Employee Reviews

"A great company that listens to and implements feedback"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Newcastle, England

I have been working at Hotjar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hotjar really listen to feedback and implement it to improve the company. This isn't just the leadership either; it genuinely feels like everyone in the company will take suggestions on board and see how we can make the company better for our customers and the rest of the team. The company puts a lot of effort into supporting working remotely. Because working remotely is a core part of who we are, Hotjar... doesn't reduce pay or other perks. I talk to my colleagues more as a remote worker than I ever did while working in an office!

Cons

While having the freedom to sort your own expenses is good, the process for tracking it takes some getting used to at first. You'll definitely need to put it in your calendar as a weekly process!

Advice to Management

Keep learning, keep taking on feedback and keep doing a great job!

Hotjar2018-10-15
  2. "Exciting company, wonderful people"

Current Contractor - Hero Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Hotjar for more than a year

Pros

People really love the product. The team are all incredible. Highly skilled and passionate. Hotjar invests in people, and really care about your well being. It's 100% remote, which sounds daunting but is actually really great. Nothing is 'set in stone', when you give feedback it feels like it's really taken on board

Cons

Doing all your meetings on video calls means sometimes they get derailed, or drag a bit.

Advice to Management

Encourage cross-team collaboration, maybe through more cross-team projects. Also, keep being awesome 😊

Hotjar2017-10-25

Hotjar Response

October 26, 2017VP of Operations

Fantastic feedback, thanks so much. Good point about the cross-team collaboration. We're looking to leverage our Tribes more in the near future in order to foster more of this. Your feedback helps to reinforce this as a priority. Thanks again.

Discover more reviews about Hotjar.