1. "Best company I have worked for by far"

5.0
    Current Employee - Paid Marketing Specialist in York, England

I have been working at Hotjar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Rigorous recruitment process to ensure you are the right fit for the role and the role is right for you too Transparency Honesty Friendliness Lots of opportunity for personal development People who genuinely care and want to see you succeed People who listen and take feedback on board Regular 1:1s with your lead Trust Remote working Work the hours you are at your best

Cons

As long as you can manage your working time, ensuring you don't over-work yourself (which is a risk when working remote) there are no cons for me.

Continue reading

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Remote done right"

5.0
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Hotjar for less than a year

Pros

This is the best employer I've been a part of based on how employees are valued and treated. It's ironic that all of the other places I've worked - which were not remote - could not come close to Hotjar in this regard. Outstanding company benefits, including professional development and home office budgets. Opportunities to take on projects and bring ideas to others across the company. Despite us all being remote, we are able to connect with one another more easily than I've seen in other companies. You are trusted to do your job and to do it well. That means there isn't any micromanaging or any sort of passive-aggressive monitoring of your progress. I really appreciate this! Working remote definitely has its challenges, but Hotjar is committed to addressing them in a variety of ways that benefits its employees. I'm always in awe of how much they care about the progress of the company, employees, and the symbiotic relationship between those two factors.

Cons

While I perceive Hotjar to be a mature company in so many ways - it's still a startup that needs to move fast and sometimes that means having to shift plans and expectations dramatically. I don't believe this mentality suits everyone. I'm a contracted worker, so that's not really fun to deal with. Sometimes I miss the perks of 401k reimbursement at my last job, but I've slowly seemed to have found my way to accepting this as worth the tradeoff given Hotjar's other benefits. It's so much harder to foster and encourage team synthesis remotely. I think Hotjar tackles this well, but it's never going to take away from the fact that this is really difficult! You have to work diligently as an employee to communicate and stay aligned with your team and company. It's all worth it - but still not for everyone, especially those used to not having to work hard to maintain their alignment to their team and workplace. It would be nice to have more opportunities to plan for growth within the company (if it's even possible). I have seen a great deal of progress from Hotjar recently so I don't expect this to be a con for long.

Continue reading

"Concept Does not Scale"

1.0
    Former Employee - Devops Engineer

I worked at Hotjar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Perks, remote work location.

Cons

CEO has no idea of the future and the Marketshare he wants to get in the analytics market. Don't think this company will reach a peak growth. Typical European working attitude.

Hotjar Response

July 4, 2019

David here – CEO of Hotjar. It's a pity you had to use false information for this review. Everyone who joined the Hotjar team in Devops is still working for the business. The fact that you talk about 'marketshare' and 'analytics market' shows that you are not aware of how we run the business and our goals... which makes me question whether you actually worked for us at all... or perhaps you did so for a short time some years ago. Regardless I will still address your points :) 1. The Future I'm proud to say that I am a CEO that has no idea what the future will look like. Any CEO that claims to is fooling themselves / others. Instead, at Hotjar we're focused on 1. obsessing over our users (so we truly understand their challenges and goals) and 2. building a team and org that can adapt and respond quickly to change. 2. Marketshare / Peak Growth Why does the business world have to obsessed with fighting / winning and dominating / destroying. While we keep track of Hotjar's use and popularity we're more focused on putting our dent in the universe. We don't have to own the universe :) I highly recommend you read the chapter 'Happy Pacifists' in the book 'It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work'... which is written by a US entrepreneur who runs a US company called Basecamp. 3. Analytics Market Hotjar is more than just an 'analytics tool'... Hotjar answers questions about your users that traditional web analytics can’t. We do this with both Behavioral Analytics and User Feedback. There are currently more than 24,000 companies that pay on a monthly basis for the insights Hotjar delivers. I'm quite sure that’s barely a blip of the overall market and we're fine with that. We’re doing our best to serve our customers well and that’s what matters. Doubling, tripling, quadrupling our market share doesn’t matter. 4. 'Typical European working attitude' We don't consider ourselves to be European – our team of 80 comes from 20 countries around the world. I also don't think it's healthy to stereotype in this way. I guess if you feel this way and based on the comments above, Hotjar is def not the right fit for you. Anyone who wants to learn more about our values and how we run the business can read this article on our blog: https://www.hotjar.com/blog/company-values

Discover more reviews about Hotjar.