There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Do not work there more then a few years, any longer will hurt your career."

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Former Employee - IT Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

work at home option, though that could be seen as a negative as could be working all hours of day and weekends

Cons

The pay was below market value, and either no raise, or 1 percent, well below inflation and cost of living. Bonus program not meaningful as well, so no incentive to exceed, as no reward in the end. Moral is terrible, the people are good, just don't care as the life has been taken out of them. Company does not seem willing to try to increase it either, even the smallest things might help, but management would never get it approved if they wanted. To difficult to focus on work, as company throws to many road blocks at employees, smallest change requires a lot of paperwork and process to get through. To many new processes coming in, which are not properly implemented and poor tools. Process owners do not even understand the processes they are implementing. Would not recommend to a person who wants a long term career with IBM, a few years is more then enough. Get some experience working on some projects or enterprise software and systems, and then move on. Anymore and you will be doing your career a disservice as no way to advance or even make enough to support your family over the long run.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, I went to a new place, that cares, and makes the world of difference. Work way harder then I have in the last 5 or 6 years at IBM and I love it. Small things make the difference. Also reexamine your Pay, as it is woefully low for technical people, and when the economy turns around, IBM might no longer be able to attract local people, as they struggle right now. Can't do everything from India.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"The place to be for new and innovative morale killers"

Current Employee - Client Executive
    Current Employee - Client Executive

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Genuinely good people to work with at the individual contributor level

Cons

As a truly global country, all the money and resources flow to the growth markets like India, China, BRIC countries. For North America, it is nonstop cost cutting and a short term focus on meeting quarterly profit objectives. Example: No raises for North American based employees this year (raises handed out in June for the previous year's results). But the company recorded record revenues profits and free cash flows in the same year. How about sharing some of that success with all the folks that helped you get there?

Advice to Management

This company used to be led by engineering and sales. People focused on creating truly innovative solutions and taking good care of their customers. Now it's led by bean counters, focused on short term profit objectives at the expense of all else. Get back to what made IBM a great company - being a great provider of value to it's customers and a great place to work for it's employees. Not just a great stock to own. Your customers, employees and our smarter planet deserve better.

2. "Spectacular!"

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A very Flexible work environment. Never a shortage of training opportunities.

Cons

Common challenge of a large organization.

Advice to Management

Great direction!