1. "The people make this place what it is!"

5.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Intrepid Travel is a trailblazer in the industry, their intention of purpose beyond profit shines through in all that they’re doing. There is a collection of young, motivated people in the London office which really made this a great environment to work and grow in professionally. There isn’t any big egos on the regional level, everyone is heard and can bring their ideas forward which makes everyone feel a part of the bigger picture and everyone is pulling together on one string to really make travel a force of good in the world. As the only B Corp in the industry (what fairtrade is for coffee) they are leading the charge and have now become a carbon negative business. The London office is in a very stylish converted warehouse with various perks such as Friday drinks and social gatherings that contribute to a familiar atmosphere.

Cons

With the headquarters being based in Melbourne there sometimes is a lack of understanding for the amazing potential the EMEA region has.

Continue reading

Intrepid Travel Response

December 16, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and share your insights. We're pleased that you enjoyed your time in our London office and that you felt motivated, engaged and included. This is very important to us. As a global company with three regional sales regions, we are aware of the need to maintain a global outlook, while empowering the regional teams in their respective markets. This is something we believe our recently (Q3 2020) updated global management structure, which includes regional MDs and operations GMs will help to achieve.

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Amazing company to work for"

5.0
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company really stands out. The travel industry is fun in general, but with Intrepid it's so much more than that. There's a major focus on sustainability and responsible business, so working there feels like you're helping to make a difference in the world

Cons

The pay isn't great, but that's fairly standard for the travel industry.

Intrepid Travel Response

December 2, 2020

We're pleased to hear that our purpose and sustainable travel experiences really resonated with you during your time with us. Thank you for caring about our product and the people and places we visit, and for taking the time to share your experience. We do aim to pay a competitive salary, along with a number of other benefits, but acknowledge that it might be lower than some other industries.

"Travel with them, don't work for them"

2.0
    Former Employee - Adventure Consultant (Sales) in Petaluma, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

- High energy, passionate co-workers - Travel Benefits - The Intrepid Foundation does a lot of good in the world - New North American regional director gives me hope that some of the cons below will be improved upon

Cons

- Very little room for growth in the company if you aren't in Melbourne office. Even those willing to move to another continent will move laterally in their career (at least those in sales roles) - Extremely high stress. My last few months in the US office (which is now closed) saw all of us clocking about two hours of overtime per night and still not hitting the extremely high sales targets - High-level growth is prioritized with no regard for what tools are required for staff to achieve those goals - This job used to make me feel so lucky to have it; by the end, it felt like a call center. - It's much more of a customer service job than a sales job. - Pay is low for the industry - Commission structure was changed to reduce the financial burden of staffing on the business (translation: to pay sales teams less as sales targets skyrocketed) - Managers who were bad at their job were promoted while low-level employees who worked hard but didn't fit into the clique saw no movement in their careers - The California office was closed in 2018, leaving a lot of experienced and loyal staff with the option to either lose their jobs or move to Canada - When the office is backed up on work, customers get angry (rightfully so) and you're left to deal with people's high tempers resulting from a situation that you did not cause - The company has great values but these don't always translate to how staff within the business are treated - It seems like the North American region was a special case and staff in the other offices are much happier, I hope this is the case and that the North American office is improving :)

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Intrepid Travel.