J D Wetherspoon - Bar Staff | Glassdoor.co.uk
Pros
  • "The pay was good and the discount on food was useful whilst working" (in 52 reviews)

• "Best staff benefits I've ever recieved (50% off food whilst working)" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be long hours above those contracted with no additional pay if in salary" (in 117 reviews)

• "They reduced the hours in the contract to improve work life balance but in reality you are always there longer than your rotary" (in 36 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Bar Staff"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

20% off Food and Drink Inc. Alcohol

Cons

High Pressured Job. Customers can be aggresive

J D Wetherspoon Response

23 Oct 2018 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Ridiculous Job"

Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in Carlisle, England
    Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in Carlisle, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a easy job to get, there are lots of hours if you want them. Weekly pay is also a bonus and keeps you working for the next pay check.

Cons

Incompetent and childish supervisors create an unprofessional and unwelcoming working environment for new staff. Food hygiene was a problem when I was there (lack of hand washing, raw meat and cooked meat handled straight after each other without gloves creating a risk of cross contamination, chefs smoking in uniform etc). The food production is made to be idiot proof with everything microwaved (even microwavable poached eggs!?) but creates a job devoid of job satisfaction simply waiting for microwaves to cook food. Ultimately a very repetitive and mind numbing job with safety concerns due to a poor quality of staff.

Advice to Management

Try to be professional. It was ridiculous to see kitchen supervisors and management walk around ticking and signing boxes in a book while looking over obvious safety concerns. Perhaps more in depth training can given in person rather than clicking through tasks online where knowledge and progress can really be checked. The environment in the kitchen was also toxic during busy periods, a lack of leadership is apparent (supervisors washing dishes when busy?) so my advice would be to replace and hire leaders capable of being responsible and organised under pressure.

J D Wetherspoon Response

28 Nov 2018 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback will be discussed in our weekly meetings. we aim to create a work environment welcoming for all in the workplace and if you can share... More

2. "There's worse, there's better"

Former Employee - Kitchen Associate in Coventry, England
    Former Employee - Kitchen Associate in Coventry, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible and can fit around university

Cons

Management, and can be hard to take time off around christmas

Discover more reviews about J D Wetherspoon.