J D Wetherspoon - Good introduction to bartending | Glassdoor.co.uk
Pros
  • "The pay was good and the discount on food was useful whilst working" (in 51 reviews)

• "Best staff benefits I've ever recieved (50% off food whilst working)" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours (have done up to 12 hour shifts before)" (in 112 reviews)

• "They reduced the hours in the contract to improve work life balance but in reality you are always there longer than your rotary" (in 32 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Good introduction to bartending"

Former Employee - Bar Associate in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay
People are sociable
If you want to go on to work in a slightly nicer pub or bar but need the experience this is a good place to start as they will teach you the basics of pulling pints and simple hygiene stuff.
If you need to find a local dealer someone in the kitchen can probably hook you up.
It's a fun job and time moves fairly quickly. You get to meet lots of new people.

Cons

The work can be a little soul-sucking.
If you don't like gossip and petty work fights you might find it a bit stressful.
Managers don't get treated well at all so they tend to not care about their job, your job, or anyone else in the building. Don't go in expecting fair treatment from them as they're stressed and dgaf.
I had to call up head office a few times over pay disputes that my manager didn't want to have to deal with.

Advice to Management

Your employees will do better if you treat them better, I promise!

14 Nov 2018 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry to hear that some things were not as you had expected and will work to resolve such issues.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Front of House staff"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Staff discount is good, managers were always supportive and understanding, good training

Cons

Not always enough staff on a close shift, making unsociable working hours even worse.

Advice to Management

Ensure evening shifts are properly staffed.

23 Oct 2018 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for your feedback, your comments will be discussed further in our weekly meetings.

2. "Your opinion and feedback is useless."

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Nottingham, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with a great team of people. Your regulars become part of your family. The training structure is strong.

Cons

Very abusive customers on a regular basis. Unsociable hours. Management fob you off and don’t listen to any feedback. Pay does not reflect your job and responsibilities e.g a shift leader does the same job as a duty manager yet big pay difference and benefits.

Advice to Management

Please can you actually speak to staff in pub, I think you get lost behind that desk when situations do not personally affect yourself. Help staff more when customers are abusive. Stop using tittles to pay people less when the job role and responsibilities are the same.

14 Nov 2018 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback will be discussed in our weekly meetings, and I would encourage you to give feedback directly to your area manager or call and speak... More

Discover more reviews about J D Wetherspoon.