"Some pubs are better to work for than others"

4.0
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent training, company standards, discounts, management courses, atmosphere

Cons

Profit driven value goes a bit too far and mangament forget about the happiness of their employees, staff often get unfairly barred when they leave, security can be difficult to work with, not all management pulls their weight, some pub managers don’t take enough responsibility, drugs, bad conduct

J D Wetherspoon2019-03-27

J D Wetherspoon Response

April 30, 2019Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for your review. It is good to hear that you felt our training, standards and discount were good. We will take a look at the other points you have raised.

"Business Manager"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Great work and co-workers. Challenging, but satisfying way to grow professionally . This job will stretch you! I enjoy the work but wait for the cons.

Cons

Management lack of people skills. Although good business acumen, management treats employees like crap. No coaching skills at all.. many have moved on because of treatment.

J D Wetherspoon2018-05-15

"Horrendous"

1.0
    Team Leader in Wakefield, MA

I worked at J D Wetherspoon for more than a year

Pros

Gained friendships. Money off food on shift. You're always busy..

Cons

Zero hours contract so one week I could earn an amazing amount and the next be so broke I can't afford transport to and from work. Taxis as I did a lot of late shifts. Management allow bullying to take place. Management are supposed to back you up if someone is drunk or rude etc.. but in my experience they haven't done this at all. Promised the world promotion wise and they gave someone else the job that was lined up for me. Made me do kitchen training when it wasn't needed or even noted down. Expect to be spoken to like rubbish from customers, staff members and management. Very long shifts if staff decide to not turn up or get drunk the night before (this happens ALOT)

J D Wetherspoon2016-04-11

J D Wetherspoon Response

April 18, 2016Recruitment & Training Systems Manager

Thank you for your comments, we will pass your all of them on for further discussion and investigation. Just to pick up on your feedback around hours, we do not work with zero hour contracts at all as a company, we agree a minimum guaranteed hours when we employ to minimise the fluctuation in hours.

Discover more reviews about J D Wetherspoon.