J D Wetherspoon - Great opportunity if you get a GOOD Manager | Glassdoor.co.uk
  1. "Great opportunity if you get a GOOD Manager"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Leicester, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Development opportunities Living wage, guaranteed hours Learn about the business behind the scenes Friendly regulars and colleagues make your days enjoyable Plenty of training puts in a great position if you move to another job in the industry. Free food when on duty, discounts when off duty! BONUS PAY - if your pub performs well!

Cons

Unsociable hours Lack of a work/life balance Lots of effort for little reward

Advice to Management

It's a people thing! That's your slogan, stick to it.. look after your staff and keep a close eye on how the pub managers look after them.. have regular associate liaison meetings to find out the issues

J D Wetherspoon2019-09-26
  1. "Brilliant company to work for"

Current Employee - Kitchen Shift Leader in Chatham, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Guaranteed minimum hour contracts - Social place to work - Good progression opportunities - Excellent training all-round - Flexibility for shifts - Staff discounts and food on shifts - Free shares after 18 months of employment

Cons

- Hours can be long but all depends on your availability

Advice to Management

Keep being fabulous!

J D Wetherspoon2019-09-16
  2. "Whether to Wetherspoons?"

Current Employee - Associate in Cheltenham, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great part time - while at university I was able to transfer between a pub at home and a pub in Exeter. The pay is good and they were able to give me shifts based on the days/times I gave them. My team in Cheltenham has been so friendly and social, I feel integral to the pub. There is plenty of opportunity to work your way up too if you wanted to make a career of it.

Cons

Too large a pub with multiple managers and lots of associates means you never really feel part of a team and simply feel like a number (Imperial in Exeter) - witnessed high staff turn over in this environment. A pub with only 1/2 managers is so much better as you feel integral to the team and will work with everyone at some point and get to know them properly. Hours can be unsociable if you work closed and weekends... but you can opt not to.

J D Wetherspoon2019-10-15

Discover more reviews about J D Wetherspoon.