J D Wetherspoon - Never enough time. | Glassdoor.co.uk
  1. "Never enough time."

Current Employee - Pub Manager

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Write your own rota, albeit having to work late shifts, some good perks. Build your own team.

Cons

Very late nights, constantly relying upon staff that don’t care. Forever recruiting to replace staff u willing to work and who call in sick continually. No time to manage absenteeism due to absenteeism.

Advice to Management

Non pub based management need to follow the same rules that is enforced on pub staff but don’t. Area & general managers are so far detached from what modern pub working is like but don’t want to hear what it’s like on the coal face.

J D Wetherspoon2019-09-28
  1. "Brilliant company to work for"

Current Employee - Kitchen Shift Leader in Chatham, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Guaranteed minimum hour contracts - Social place to work - Good progression opportunities - Excellent training all-round - Flexibility for shifts - Staff discounts and food on shifts - Free shares after 18 months of employment

Cons

- Hours can be long but all depends on your availability

Advice to Management

Keep being fabulous!

J D Wetherspoon2019-09-16
  2. "Whether to Wetherspoons?"

Current Employee - Associate in Cheltenham, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great part time - while at university I was able to transfer between a pub at home and a pub in Exeter. The pay is good and they were able to give me shifts based on the days/times I gave them. My team in Cheltenham has been so friendly and social, I feel integral to the pub. There is plenty of opportunity to work your way up too if you wanted to make a career of it.

Cons

Too large a pub with multiple managers and lots of associates means you never really feel part of a team and simply feel like a number (Imperial in Exeter) - witnessed high staff turn over in this environment. A pub with only 1/2 managers is so much better as you feel integral to the team and will work with everyone at some point and get to know them properly. Hours can be unsociable if you work closed and weekends... but you can opt not to.

J D Wetherspoon2019-10-15

Discover more reviews about J D Wetherspoon.