J D Wetherspoon - Associate | Glassdoor.co.uk
  1. "Associate"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Weekend nights are a lot of fun to work. Great coworkers. Head office generally listens to you; they revised the tipping policy because of employees being unhappy about it. Nice regulars. Very decent pay for my age group. There's always a good atmosphere in the pubs; lively and enjoyable place to work.

Cons

Can get pretty rowdy and there's often drama. I had to quit as the managers just would not let me book days off. They always "forgot" despite me taking the proper procedures. Working floor can actually be pretty stressful.

J D Wetherspoon2019-10-05
  1. "Brilliant company to work for"

Current Employee - Kitchen Shift Leader in Chatham, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Guaranteed minimum hour contracts - Social place to work - Good progression opportunities - Excellent training all-round - Flexibility for shifts - Staff discounts and food on shifts - Free shares after 18 months of employment

Cons

- Hours can be long but all depends on your availability

Advice to Management

Keep being fabulous!

J D Wetherspoon2019-09-16
  2. "Whether to Wetherspoons?"

Current Employee - Associate in Cheltenham, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great part time - while at university I was able to transfer between a pub at home and a pub in Exeter. The pay is good and they were able to give me shifts based on the days/times I gave them. My team in Cheltenham has been so friendly and social, I feel integral to the pub. There is plenty of opportunity to work your way up too if you wanted to make a career of it.

Cons

Too large a pub with multiple managers and lots of associates means you never really feel part of a team and simply feel like a number (Imperial in Exeter) - witnessed high staff turn over in this environment. A pub with only 1/2 managers is so much better as you feel integral to the team and will work with everyone at some point and get to know them properly. Hours can be unsociable if you work closed and weekends... but you can opt not to.

J D Wetherspoon2019-10-15

Discover more reviews about J D Wetherspoon.